Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the longest time anyone here has been on the REHAB program?

+4
johnny211
bigrex
Teager
Vet1234
8 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

What is the longest time anyone here has been on the REHAB program? - Page 3 Empty Re: What is the longest time anyone here has been on the REHAB program?

Post by bigrex Fri 18 May 2018, 09:25

Artie simm, unfortunately there is no easy, cut and dry answer. Unless you are currently making more than $42000/yr, your income is not going to be reduced if you need to go off work while undergoing treatment. Or if you choose to keep working, while also taking part in the rehab program, ELB will only deduct 50% of your income, and as of next year, will allow the you to earn up to $20000, before any deductions occur.

We can't tell you what you should do. All we can do is inform you of your options. Is it a risk to leave your job to make yourself better? Could it all end badly? Yes, I'm not going to lie to you. But it could also all work out for the better. I was in a similar position once, I had my pensions, and employment, but when it got to the point that I could not physically work any longer, without causing me harm, I had to make a choice to seek help. For me it turned out to be the right one, because after I contacted VAC, I've since been approved for EELB, CIA, CIAS, Attendance Allowance, clothing allowance, and they put my wife through schooling for two years, allowing her to bring even more money into the home.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

What is the longest time anyone here has been on the REHAB program? - Page 3 Empty Re: What is the longest time anyone here has been on the REHAB program?

Post by Teager Fri 18 May 2018, 09:17

I think the hoops vary depending on the veterans situation. For me only had to get a doctor's report and verification from sisip that I was on LTD. As Johnny said your case manager sits down with some other medical people to determine DEC after all information is in.

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Fri 18 May 2018, 05:36

Hi ArtieSimm - Hi, it’s a process that one has to be patient, as it may take awhile, New pscy assessment, and/or dr letter stateing reasons one can’t work, sent them to CM, then she came out did her assessment. That’s all sent in, and someone, or a gp at VAC determines if your DEC. Things may have changed now, that was 4 yrs ago. I hope it all works out for you. VVV
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 May 2018, 00:47

So how big were the hoops you had to jump through to be declared DEC ?

Last edited by Artie Simm on Tue 22 May 2018, 10:38; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 May 2018, 00:44

I know people who read all this are probably thinking, "why don't you just ask your CM all this".

Last edited by Artie Simm on Sat 26 May 2018, 18:00; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 May 2018, 00:33

So how big were the hoops you had to jump through to be declared DEC ?

Last edited by Artie Simm on Tue 22 May 2018, 10:36; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 17 May 2018, 23:52

Basically, it's how much the disability actually impacts your life, and the more severe the disability, the more potential impact it can have. For example, two veterans have lower back disabilities, and are both assessed at 15, purely on the fact that they have a similar reduced range of motion. Veteran #1 is able to carry on with a relatively normal life, only occasionally taking some extra strength Tylenol, to control pain. But veteran #2 is taking opioids on a daily basis, is unable to work, and may be forced to spend days in bed. Unfortunately, I cannot get into the VAC website right now, or I would post the chart ,that explains the different things that VAC uses to determine the QOL rating.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 May 2018, 21:32

Can somebody explain in plain English what the different numbers mean in the Quality of Life Rating. I've never fully understood how that part works.

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Thu 17 May 2018, 20:04

Well said as always Big Rex. Mine was about 21/2 yrs, did college, got a great job, lasted 5 mths before I feel down the rabbit hole again. I just couldn’t concentrate and memory sucked. CM did more assessments, and in conjunction with psyc and dr, it was deemed I could no longer work, and got DEC. It sucks for us all to admit that.
But brothers and sisters you need to look after yourselves.
But one has to follow all the VAC goals set out, pscy appts, school, etc. Miss a few of them and your out. And with that Johnnys off too THC land..lol. VVV
Also as Bigrex said, you can do the pscy and Rehab part, and not do retraining.
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 17 May 2018, 18:23

There are a few different programs that you are likely thinking of. The rehab program, can basically be for life, on and off. it goes active when you need it. But you need the rehab program to get temporary ELB, which is intended to replace your income, while going to school, or partaking in short term treatment. So you should be able to take a 2 year hiatus from work, providing there is an approved treatment plan during those two years, and collect ELB. By the end of the two years, once the treatment is completed, they will decide whether or not you are capable of returning to work, or deem you DEC and place you on EELB. But if after the two years is over, and they decide that you can return to work, you can return to your old job, and ELB ceases. If that job is no longer available, or viable, you can go on CFIS (Canadian Forces Income Support), while searching for new employment. As far as CIAS and DEC is concerned, that is only applicable if you are unable to earn 66.6%, because of the limitations of your medical conditions, not because the job market is poor.

So the short of it is, No. You cannot remain on rehab program, getting additional benefits like ELB, and PIAS, indefinitely, unless you are deemed DEC.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Thu 17 May 2018, 14:56

You can only get the supplement if you are DEC formally TPI. I just went through this. In my letter they use the quality of life rating for the amounts and then correlate that to stats Canada to see what someone makes. I have QOL rating of 1 so the best you can have but still got DEC.

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Thu 17 May 2018, 13:14

7 years
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

What is the longest time anyone here has been on the REHAB program? - Page 3 Empty What is the longest time anyone here has been on the REHAB program?

Post by Guest Thu 17 May 2018, 10:59

I keep hearing horror stories of vets being kicked off the REHAB program at the 2 year mark or sooner?
anyone have any experiences with this?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by Artie Simm on Sat 26 May 2018, 17:59; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3