Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disabilities after you reach 100%

+5
coppers2002
Armygunner
Teentitan
bigrex
AirLog
9 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Disabilities after you reach 100% - Page 2 Empty Re: Disabilities after you reach 100%

Post by Guest Tue 18 Sep 2018, 09:51

coppers2002 wrote:
Artie Simm wrote:
Armygunner wrote:
Teentitan wrote:When you apply for CPPD or the disability tax credit you can use your disability assessment from VAC as a reference in the application stage.  

It's a way of showing how you became disabled, how long you have been disabled, level of disability,  a record of health assessment/treatment from various doctors.

I know each gov't department has their own definition/rules for being classified as disabled but VAC is detailed on your health history and it helps the adjudication process.  The CRA is the hardest, IMO, to get but there is some aid from your VAC history during their adjudication process.  

When you apply for the Disability Tax Credit you need to be MARKED RESTRICTED in one of the categories. Without the Marked Restricted, you'll have a very hard time getting the DTC.
what are the categories? Who designates a person marked restricted?

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/segments/tax-credits-deductions-persons-disabilities/information-medical-practitioners/eligibility-criteria-disability-tax-credit.htmlhttps://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/segments/tax-credits-deductions-persons-disabilities/information-medical-practitioners/eligibility-criteria-disability-tax-credit.html#mrkd

My mother qualifies for this (not military) but she is unable to work, unable to walk more than 25 meters. It is tough to qualify and lots of paperwork for your doctor to fill out.
do you mean it's tough to qualify for the disability payment, or just the tax credit or both?.l know of someone who is getting the tax credit but has not applied for the actual disabilty,they got the tax credit based on information obtained from VAC

Back to top Go down

Disabilities after you reach 100% - Page 2 Empty Re: Disabilities after you reach 100%

Post by johnny211 Mon 17 Sep 2018, 19:27

Nemo - you are right on that. I have tried 3 times, and will give it one more kick. I am Dec, 100%, cppd. Put both physical and mental injuries in, but all that means squat to CRA. It’s a crap shoot. I agree with Bigrex when he said if you have gone Thur loads of red tape and assessments fm VAC to be deemed DEC, the DTC should be automatic. It’s too bad ea Dept does not play by the same rules. Maybe some decade some pencil pusher will see the light..Johnny Out..VVV
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo Mon 17 Sep 2018, 18:51

Yeah, you can be very disabled and even 100% according to CPP or SISIP and still not be eligible for the tax credit.
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Armygunner Mon 17 Sep 2018, 16:59

Artie Simm wrote:
Armygunner wrote:
Teentitan wrote:When you apply for CPPD or the disability tax credit you can use your disability assessment from VAC as a reference in the application stage.  

It's a way of showing how you became disabled, how long you have been disabled, level of disability,  a record of health assessment/treatment from various doctors.

I know each gov't department has their own definition/rules for being classified as disabled but VAC is detailed on your health history and it helps the adjudication process.  The CRA is the hardest, IMO, to get but there is some aid from your VAC history during their adjudication process.  

When you apply for the Disability Tax Credit you need to be MARKED RESTRICTED in one of the categories. Without the Marked Restricted, you'll have a very hard time getting the DTC.

This form explains its all

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/cra-arc/formspubs/pbg/t2201/t2201-17e.pdf.

Armygunner
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2016-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by coppers2002 Mon 17 Sep 2018, 15:51

Artie Simm wrote:
Armygunner wrote:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/segments/tax-credits-deductions-persons-disabilities/information-medical-practitioners/eligibility-criteria-disability-tax-credit.htmlhttps://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/segments/tax-credits-deductions-persons-disabilities/information-medical-practitioners/eligibility-criteria-disability-tax-credit.html#mrkd

My mother qualifies for this (not military) but she is unable to work, unable to walk more than 25 meters. It is tough to qualify and lots of paperwork for your doctor to fill out.

coppers2002
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2017-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Sep 2018, 15:20

Armygunner wrote:

Back to top Go down

Post by Armygunner Mon 17 Sep 2018, 13:38

Armygunner
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2016-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Mon 17 Sep 2018, 11:37

When you apply for CPPD or the disability tax credit you can use your disability assessment from VAC as a reference in the application stage.

It's a way of showing how you became disabled, how long you have been disabled, level of disability, a record of health assessment/treatment from various doctors.

I know each gov't department has their own definition/rules for being classified as disabled but VAC is detailed on your health history and it helps the adjudication process. The CRA is the hardest, IMO, to get but there is some aid from your VAC history during their adjudication process.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Mon 17 Sep 2018, 10:58

Hi Teentitan,

How is being over 100% suppose to assist with CPPD and the tax credit? I am contemplating applying for the tax credit but not sure if I fit the application requirements or not. Not interested in CPPD as it will simply offset TELB and pension.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2017-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Mon 17 Sep 2018, 10:37

Yes you are right Artie some disability payments from other gov't sources can and are deducted. What I am referring to is the two programs/credits that are important when you are over 100% disabled.....provincial aid for daily living aids that VAC does not cover (wheelchair lifts, ramps) and the disability tax credit with CRA, I believe it's over $6,000 credit (don't quote me on that amount).

You have to remember Artie there is absolutely no way a disabled/injured person is going to make more then what they made when working. If that was the case disability/workman comp programs would be in constant battle mode to prove fraud.

That is why benefits like CIA, CIAS were fought for by advocates to be created....it's in the first two letters Career Impact This is where being deemed over 100% disabled is supposed to help the veteran but some VAC bureaucrats and adjudicators didn't get the memo. But what benefit is not a battle when dealing with VAC?
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Sep 2018, 09:58

AirLog wrote:
Artie Simm wrote:
AirLog wrote:I agree with you Bigrex. Don't see this happening. I have cancer that is going to limit my life expectancy not to mention my physical limitations that I am, and will, experience for the rest of my life. Even with this said, I still don't qualify for CIA. I am on EELB and my CM is going to review my file for DEC, but, I doubt that I will ever qualify for any grade of APSC unless I am in my final days...

AirLog
thats crazy, l realize the public forum of PA vets fighting for life long pensions went no where, l suppose a campaign to expose this would go no where as well. Was you cancer attributed to military service..? I read somewhere how VAC doesn’t care about injuries that occur outside service/retirement in terms of whether a vet can find a job or not based on the sum of his injuries some forces related some not.

Artie Simm,

My cancer is 100% (5/5) related to military service.

AIrLog
l am sorry to hear that, you should be afforded everything VAC had to offer, no red tape

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Sep 2018, 09:56

Teentitan wrote:Though being over 100% disabled is of no monetary value with VAC it can be very helpful when doing paperwork/applications for CPP Disability, CRA disablity tax credit, provincial financial help for daily living aids like ramps, lifts, etc that VAC does not cover.

VAC is not the only avenue for financial or daily living aids out there for veterans.
true,but doesn’t any other gov. Aid detract from whatever VAC is paying a vet.? Ie if a vet applies for CCP disability and let’s say he is given $1000 a month, doesn’t VAC subtract that from ELB or DEC or whatever other program a vet is on, l could be wrong but l thought that is how it works

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Sun 16 Sep 2018, 22:23

Artie Simm wrote:
AirLog wrote:I agree with you Bigrex. Don't see this happening. I have cancer that is going to limit my life expectancy not to mention my physical limitations that I am, and will, experience for the rest of my life. Even with this said, I still don't qualify for CIA. I am on EELB and my CM is going to review my file for DEC, but, I doubt that I will ever qualify for any grade of APSC unless I am in my final days...

AirLog
thats crazy, l realize the public forum of PA vets fighting for life long pensions went no where, l suppose a campaign to expose this would go no where as well. Was you cancer attributed to military service..? I read somewhere how VAC doesn’t care about injuries that occur outside service/retirement in terms of whether a vet can find a job or not based on the sum of his injuries some forces related some not.

Artie Simm,

My cancer is 100% (5/5) related to military service.

AIrLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2017-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sun 16 Sep 2018, 17:42

Though being over 100% disabled is of no monetary value with VAC it can be very helpful when doing paperwork/applications for CPP Disability, CRA disablity tax credit, provincial financial help for daily living aids like ramps, lifts, etc that VAC does not cover.

VAC is not the only avenue for financial or daily living aids out there for veterans.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Sep 2018, 16:09

AirLog

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next