Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SUPPLEMENTARY RETIREMENT BENEFIT - LUMP SUM - 1 APRIL 2019

+30
skidsteer
Newfie
puddleduk2
cdnnavy77
Ppclicaper
Tilap61
Teentitan
Unknown Soldier
LAD
Peace
XMedic
doomed78
Rustytheviking
exarmyguy
Kramer
Teager
sailor964
johnny211
By the Bay
Supremedebater
bosn181
SIGS PIGS
Gunner8
propat
Vet1234
AirLog
bigrex
Rifleman
cosmo12
34 posters

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

SUPPLEMENTARY RETIREMENT BENEFIT - LUMP SUM - 1 APRIL 2019 - Page 18 Empty Re: SUPPLEMENTARY RETIREMENT BENEFIT - LUMP SUM - 1 APRIL 2019

Post by bigrex Fri 22 Feb 2019, 20:56

It is frustrating that VAC staff have not taken the time to read the legislation that is going to affect their department. It can be quite confusing, nit IMO, the SRbportion is rather quite straight forward.

Supplementary Retirement Benefit
Amount paid — veterans

124 (1) The Minister shall pay the amount determined in accordance with subsection (2) to
(a) a veteran who was at any time entitled to continue to receive the earnings loss benefit under subsection 18(4) of the former Act but who, on March 31, 2019, was no longer entitled to that benefit, if that veteran has not received the supplementary retirement benefit to which they are entitled under subsection 25(1) of that Act before April 1, 2019; or
(b) a veteran who, on March 31, 2019, was entitled to continue to receive the earnings loss benefit under subsection 18(4) of the former Act.
Calculation of amount

(2) The amount payable to the veteran under subsection (1) is an amount equal to 2% of the total amount of the earnings loss benefit that would have been payable to the veteran under section 18 of the former Act until March 31, 2019, had any amounts that were payable to the veteran from prescribed sources referred to in subsection 19(1) of that Act not been taken into account.
Reduction

(3) The amount payable to the veteran is to be reduced by any amount of the supplementary retirement benefit that the veteran received before April 1, 2019.
It does not say that we will have to wait until we are 65, to be paid the reduced lump sum.
As far as losing that 2%, It's not that bad, because of changing how they calculate the IRB, is vastly better than the RISB. For example. if your ELB is $5000, CIA is 600, and CIAS is $1200, your RISB would be $4760, and would deduct the full amount of CIA and CIAS, leaving just $2960, before deducting other income like CF pension, CPP and OAS.
But with the new IRB, it would only deduct the 30% from the $5000, leaving $3500. It will not deduct the APSC, and it's unknown if it will deduct the PIAS, but it is unlikely, because it seems as if it's going to be in it's own little bubble. It will exist, but not exist, at the same time.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

SUPPLEMENTARY RETIREMENT BENEFIT - LUMP SUM - 1 APRIL 2019 - Page 18 Empty Re: SUPPLEMENTARY RETIREMENT BENEFIT - LUMP SUM - 1 APRIL 2019

Post by Supremedebater Fri 22 Feb 2019, 10:26

If they’re abolishing the 2% SRB, where is the 2% going forward? Is it wrapped up into another benefit like they always say? Anyone have any numbers with regards to what they think they will be getting? Isn’t it sad how Vets hve to ask other vets wtf is going on? If you call vac, and had the ability to see the person on other end you would see each and everyone of them perplexed! The SRB return of the 2% and the info should be out April 2nd because I can’t see them having everything done when the vac call centre dont even have a clue.

Supremedebater
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2016-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 22 Feb 2019, 07:19

I would like to think that VAC would let everyone know ahead of time, since I'm sure there are Veterans out there who are unaware that the SRB is ending, or that they are even entitled to it. It's not exactly a well known benefit, which is apparent, when even long term members of this site, are unsure of how the benefit is calculated.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Fri 22 Feb 2019, 07:04

Bigrex - Tks for clearing it up. Do you think we will receive another letter stating the SRB calculation? It should appear in March, but they didn’t say. VVV
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 22 Feb 2019, 02:00

Supreme, it's 2% of your 75/90% amount, and it's based on all the ELB you have received. You just need have been deemed DEC, at some point, before reaching age 65 (now April 1st), when the benefit is payable. So if someone was getting ELB for several years, but were only deemed DEC this year, their SRB should be based on the ELB received over the entirety of the several years
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Supremedebater Thu 21 Feb 2019, 23:25

I'm curious as to where the information is regarding this. 2% of what numbers? And how far back does it go? Does it apply to veterans that were in receipt of elb then put on dec? Or is it only go back as far as when you were deemed dec? Or when you were in receipt of earnings loss. What a gaggle F*ck. it seems to me nothing is in stone regardless of what they say. 3/4 of vac have no clue what's going on if you call too. This country needs all military soldiers to walk out and show the goc that ya can't do this to human beings that's have sweat, tears and blood on they're shirts for this country. What a crock of shit.

Supremedebater
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Thu 21 Feb 2019, 20:38

So this is for whoever is on ELB and determined DEC? I’m not DEC ( in the process) but have been on ELB since 2013.

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 331
Registration date : 2018-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Thu 21 Feb 2019, 19:45

Last week I asked in my Vac about the SRB, and when we would see info, and letters about it. Not much of an answer. Here it is;
Thank you for using My VAC Account and our secure email services.

Of course these programs have been in the works for a while and
most calculations etc have been done but we are still not priviledge
to all information. Based on the legislation now, you would
have been eligible for the Supplementary Retirement Benefit (SRB)
when you reached the age of 65, which you will not have reached
that age before April 1, 2019. You are correct, the calculation
before April 2019 is 2% of what you received in the Earning Loss
Benefit. The SRB is being consolidated in the Income Replacment
Benefit with 5 other benefits. This has been done to make things
easier for Veterans.
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Thu 24 Jan 2019, 16:00

You know if VAC was run by Veterans, it would be a well-oiled machine.

All boots would be on the ground until the back log applications were completed. There would be no more lawsuits because all veterans would be treated equally which would saves millions of dollars in tax payers' money. All veterans would have a roof over their heads, food in their bellies, and cold beer in the fridge.

But here we are...struck with a department that runs like an old Ford Pinto that is ready to burst into flames.

In my humble opinion, the military should be in charge of VAC and run by retired military/RCMP members...not civilians.

Hey a girl can dream, can't she?

Cheers,
By the Bay
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Supremedebater Thu 24 Jan 2019, 10:18

That’s brutal how vac employees have no clue what is coming April 1 2019

Supremedebater
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 23 Jan 2019, 19:17

Yes, it's as if these VAC employees haven't even bothered reading what is going to happen come April.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Supremedebater Wed 23 Jan 2019, 16:02

There ya go....

Supremedebater
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmo12 Wed 23 Jan 2019, 15:54

More Clarity I asked VAC Following is the answer:

Good morning xxx,

Thank you for your question. On April 1, 2019, the Earnings Loss Benefit (ELB) will end and the new Income Replacement Benefit (IRB) will begin. Veterans will receive comparable benefits and amounts to those they were eligible to receive before March 31, 2019. The new IRB will continue to top up CAF LTD for Veterans who medically release due to health problems resulting primarily from service and have barriers to re-establishment.

The SRB will cease to be a financial benefit on April 1, 2019. On or after April 1, 2019, Veterans and survivors eligible for the SRB will be paid a taxable lump-sum amount, which will equal 2% of their total ELB payable (before offsets) up to March 31, 2019. Eligible Veterans and survivors will be notified by the Department of their entitlement and the amount of the payment on or after April 1, 2019.

Regards, VAC Social Media Team

Cosmo

cosmo12
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2013-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifleman Wed 23 Jan 2019, 15:29

Yep I called yesterday and they had no clue what I was talking about I tried to explain it and they Vac thought I was out to lunch no help what so ever

Rifleman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Supremedebater Wed 23 Jan 2019, 14:57

I asked them about what we're talking about here Rex. I have to apologize I'm not in the loop anymore. Anyway I asked about the 2% per annum going back on elb....lady on the phone had no clue....then she called me back and said that more or less I'm wrong. And that she can't see where anyone will get a cheque cut. And also said she could see we would if we're 65 and older. Ya I'm confused !

Supremedebater
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next