Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Artifical Joint replacement Prosthetic , VAC coverage???

Go down

Artifical Joint replacement Prosthetic , VAC coverage??? Empty Artifical Joint replacement Prosthetic , VAC coverage???

Post by Melwood Tue 15 Jun 2021, 23:25

Hi folks,

Seeking the collective guidance here to dig deeper into the rules and regs.

First, can joint replacements be covered by VAC? I need my hips done. The surgeon available has a single method to complete the task, it's from the back of the joint. I rather have the procedure that comes in from the side and creates a lot fewer issues (no cutting of muscle or tendons) and has a quicker recovery. I have already had 3 reconstructive hip surgeries and am full of scar tissue and rather avoid needless "hacking".
I am seeking alternatives, but with the way the healthcare system is set up, you take what's given. So I am seeking a private clinic that does the procedure I want, in Canada but out of my province. Technically, artificially joints are classified as a prosthetic. I found under the Benefit Description PROSTHETIC COMPONENT, POC11—Prosthetics and orthotics Benefit Code Number 501525 there is coverage (undefined) for prosthetic components which I would argue include artificial joints.

Has ANYONE had dealings with this? I'm willing to pay for hospital time, clinic costs etc, but maybe VAC could help with the actual cost of the prosthetic. And finally, do you think I can swing a mileage claim to attend a medical procedure in another province (almost 2800km round trip)?

Thanks for helping me think outside the box.

Mel

Melwood
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2017-03-23

Back to top Go down