Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Career progression factor

5 posters

Go down

Career progression factor  Empty Re: Career progression factor

Post by derngt Mon 30 Oct 2023, 20:20

Vet1234 wrote:I have yet to see any indication that I receive 1% Career Progression Factor.

It's supposed to be added every year like COLA.

A Veteran receiving IRB has their benefit calculated based on 90% of their pre-release salary, indexed annually for inflation. They receive this while pursuing rehabilitation services. If a Veteran is ultimately determined to have a Diminished Earning Capacity and requires income support indefinitely, they receive the 1% career progression factor applied to their monthly military salary at release, every year until the Veteran reaches what would have been 20 years of service or age 60 which ever comes first.  

The letter outlining my IRB breakdown contains the following:

Career progression

If your health problems resulted primarily from service and you have a Diminished Earning
Capacity as a result of these health problems, or if you were entitled to receive the Career
Impact Allowance Supplement on 31 March 2019, you could qualify for an additional career
progression factor. The career progression factor is applied by taking the monthly military salary
used in the calculation of your Income Replacement Benefit amount and adjusting it by one
percent, depending upon the number of years you served in the Canadian Armed Forces and
your age at release.

Applicable military salary:

(Indexed and adjusted by the career progression factor to April 2019) $xxxx.xx

I

How long have you been released and number of years to complete 20 years service. Mine was calculated in 2019 because I release with 15 years in 2005. So my IRB was updated when I was given DEC. It wasnt done yearly. As for the CIAS..that amount is a mystery. VAC is telling us the our IRB will never be less then the CIAS amount indexed for inflation. I have a number of inquiries into VAC looking for the actually legislation reference CIAS. I answered this question before. I can be reached off line if you need help. derngt@gmail.com

derngt
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Mon 30 Oct 2023, 18:42

I have yet to see any indication that I receive 1% Career Progression Factor.

It's supposed to be added every year like COLA.

A Veteran receiving IRB has their benefit calculated based on 90% of their pre-release salary, indexed annually for inflation. They receive this while pursuing rehabilitation services. If a Veteran is ultimately determined to have a Diminished Earning Capacity and requires income support indefinitely, they receive the 1% career progression factor applied to their monthly military salary at release, every year until the Veteran reaches what would have been 20 years of service or age 60 which ever comes first.

The letter outlining my IRB breakdown contains the following:

Career progression

If your health problems resulted primarily from service and you have a Diminished Earning
Capacity as a result of these health problems, or if you were entitled to receive the Career
Impact Allowance Supplement on 31 March 2019, you could qualify for an additional career
progression factor. The career progression factor is applied by taking the monthly military salary
used in the calculation of your Income Replacement Benefit amount and adjusting it by one
percent, depending upon the number of years you served in the Canadian Armed Forces and
your age at release.

Applicable military salary:

(Indexed and adjusted by the career progression factor to April 2019) $xxxx.xx

I
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by motherof3gems Tue 25 Apr 2023, 02:07

Vet1234 wrote:I have yet to see my career progression factor calculated anywhere..  I don't think it's being applied.  I can see the COLA but no CPF of 1%.
Anyone?

Chances are VAC needs to be reminded to do it, and do it correctly. Im in the process of recalculating their math

motherof3gems
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2023-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by motherof3gems Tue 25 Apr 2023, 02:05

derngt wrote:
Vet1234 wrote:I have yet to see my career progression factor calculated anywhere..  I don't think it's being applied.  I can see the COLA but no CPF of 1%.
Anyone?

Your IRB would have been calculated using the career progression when you first became DEC. You should have rec'd a letter. The CPF is not added every year.

Calculated.from monthly military pay on release is how i read the policy. And its added every year until 20yrs of service (i presume pensionable service) or 60yrs old.

motherof3gems
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2023-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Wed 15 Mar 2023, 18:34

I became DEC before pension for life came into effect. So I'm not sure how that would've worked. 🤔
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt Wed 15 Mar 2023, 18:18

Anyone?

Your IRB would have been calculated using the career progression when you first became DEC. You should have rec'd a letter. The CPF is not added every year.

derngt
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Wed 15 Mar 2023, 18:15

I have yet to see my career progression factor calculated anywhere.. I don't think it's being applied. I can see the COLA but no CPF of 1%.
Anyone?
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by daverobitaille@rogers.com Thu 09 Mar 2023, 07:50

I got nothing as they says that my IRB was exceeding my progression factor. No back pay.

daverobitaille@rogers.com
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2018-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt Sun 21 Nov 2021, 09:19

Shogun-VP wrote:Thanks derngt,

I’m assuming you were deemed to have a diminished earning capacity? Also, a case manager informed me of an initial one time adjustment payment once the career progression factor gets approved. Can you shed any light on that? Thanks in advance.

Yes I received backpay of 6 months for my IRB. Furthermore, I also applied for Additional Pain and Suffering and was given Level 3. Once I became DEC I requested a review and was given Level 2. Hope that helps.

derngt
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shogun-VP Sun 21 Nov 2021, 08:57

Thanks derngt,

I’m assuming you were deemed to have a diminished earning capacity? Also, a case manager informed me of an initial one time adjustment payment once the career progression factor gets approved. Can you shed any light on that? Thanks in advance.

Shogun-VP
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2017-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt Sun 21 Nov 2021, 07:22

I released with 15 years service in 2005. My salary as a Sgt at the time was $50,000.When I finally applied for Voc Rehab and IRB in 2018 my new protected amount was based off of $72,000.

derngt
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Career progression factor  Empty Career progression factor

Post by Shogun-VP Tue 09 Nov 2021, 10:23

I’m just curious how the career progression factor works and what kind of financial impact it will have on my IRB. I fully understand the 1 percent increase per year for career progression on top of indexation. I’m just wondering what the numbers will look like. I have 14 years of career progression. I was determined to have a DEC three months ago. My case manager told me that I would get an adjustment payment(what is this adjustment payment/how much?)this year and that the career progression will be applied until 2023. Thanks in advance guys.

Shogun-VP
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2017-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down