Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Domestic Legal Issue concerning SISIP and VAC

Go down

Domestic Legal Issue concerning SISIP and VAC Empty Re: Domestic Legal Issue concerning SISIP and VAC

Post by bigrex Fri 31 Aug 2012, 07:58

This was actually brought up during the SISIP lawsuit last spring. Canada's child support guidelines DO include PA pensions when calculating income, since it is for the benefit and welfare of the children (or at least it's supposed to be). These guidelines with the allowed use of VAC pensions as income was the Governments only defense for deducting PA pensions from SISIP LTD payments when standing in front of a judge last Fall. I suppose you could request a judicial review, if you feel your ex is using the money for anything other than the children. But, because a portion of your PA pension is for your dependent children,possibly even after dissolution of a marriage, you'll likely have to hand over that amount of your pension to her.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Domestic Legal Issue concerning SISIP and VAC Empty Domestic Legal Issue concerning SISIP and VAC

Post by Guest Fri 31 Aug 2012, 01:10

I have an interesting, and yet annoying, problem which some of you may have also. Since I began getting money from VAC for pain and suffering my Ex has tried her damndest to get ahold of it for additional child support. Now I have steadfastly told her that it was not income and she is not entitled to it. April this year I signed a new child support order with her which included the money from VAC. The reason I did this was that I was going in debt paying the lawyer and could not afford to fight her on this anymore. The legal bills were killing me and if it went any higher I could not afford to travel so I could see my kids! Anyway a month later the courts decided money from VAC was not income. Now she is all over me again since SISIP now has to pay us. Here is the thing, do I bite the bullet and give her money from SISIP as well as my VAC money. Or do I do a change of circumstances in family court to take off the VAC and replace it with money from SISIP? (which we have not recieved yet so I don't know what I might have to give her).

So my question is does anyone else have their VAC money tied up in child support? And if not how did you get it to not be income?

Or is anyone in a simular situation who has a viable solution?

Back to top Go down