Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wondering

+4
Rifleman
bigrex
Mike77
RCN-Retired
8 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Wondering - Page 4 Empty Re: Wondering

Post by Guest Sun 13 Apr 2014, 11:40

mike as far as ELB/SISIP goes yes when it comes to payment of benefits its one ore the other but you can be on both as I am. in this case SISIP becomes the first payer so you get no payment from ELB. you can still be approved rehab from ELB this is not only restricted to back to work programs but other therapeutics to help you manage pain ore mental stress and such.

I was on SISIP and I applied for ELB,PIA and its supplement all at the same time (recommended) they do one at a time but they have all the applications so they can start the second soon as they get word on the first and same fore the third.

ELB will give you piece of mind in case you end up with a problem with SISIP. also in case ELB gets extended for life ELB will pick up where SISIP stops.

the PIA and supplement is 1400 after tax ore more and not deductible from SISIP ore ELB.

hope this helps

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Apr 2014, 11:33

Rifleman, I am sure you have already done this but for others to consider,  I would gather personal DVA and LTD correspondences, medical questionnaires and then include DVA and LTD  policies and program descriptions including VIP records, TPI  and so on. Copy policies from DVA and Manulife website. I would then forward to CPP D appeals and advise them additional info is en route so as to make sure it is documented that you sent it. I would also include a copy of the Class Action Law Suit and the letter from CRA  for tax purposes which is posted on csat as no harm will come of doing that but draws attention to the fact you are disabled in the eyes of the law.  We as Veterans are good at covering our behinds, we did it in the military and now we have to do it as a disabled Veteran because no one will do it for us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifleman Sun 13 Apr 2014, 10:18

As propat said you are not required to appeal but this is my opinion I would appeal it does not hurt you I have applied for CPP D 3 times now and have been denied all three times also appealed all three times and still denied my file now sits at the next step above the appeals section to be looked at all I can do is wait this out and believe me I will wait this out and keep fighting until I get an answer that I am happy with and this all because Sisip continues to ask me to apply and yes I am LTD since 2002 and TPI through vac

Rifleman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike77 Sun 13 Apr 2014, 08:41

I just want to say thanks for everyone's help and advise, I will appeal and look into the ELB, I have been dealing with SISIP/Manulife's LTD policy's and think I have a pretty firm grip of the rules as for ELB?  I'll have to start doing some research but was under the impression it was one or the other, I mean you can't be approved SISIP LTD up to 65 and then apply for ELB can you?  I'm at the point were I would never be approved retraining or schooling to qualify for ELB.  

Thanks again,  Mike

Mike77
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2014-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 12 Apr 2014, 22:19

mike I really don't think you are required to appeal but I do highly recommend it.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 12 Apr 2014, 21:10

Mike77 for my two cents worth I think it would behove you to apply for both DTC and  appeal CPP D. There have been posts previously about the disparaging financial effects of being young and disabled and not being able to work and contribute to Old Age Benefits. However, if you appeal  CPP D and re-appeal if necessary when the time to receive Old Age Benefits, the calculations would be more favorable had you been on CPP D versus not.  As for the DTC,  the criteria is different than CPP D and would also help with your taxable income (PA). Thirdly and not mentioned in your post, have you considered ELB or if you are part of the Class Action and a 2 year client, consider appealing for LTD. In closing, I am of the belief that if you are entitled to a benefit regardless if it does not help you today mathematically but can in the future, it is a good idea and worth the effort and time. Consider it a building block to your future security as a disabled person who is entitled to receive these benefits.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike77 Sat 12 Apr 2014, 20:43

I also agree, I have no problems at all filling out yearly forms, I also have a great doctor who also doesn't mind filling out my forms,  I am permanently and severely disabled and that's just a fact, nothings going to change that.  The fact I was just denied CPP Disability is what concerns me right now and if I'm obligated by Manulife to appeal?  My CM says no but people on here who's opinions I value and trust say yes?  I want to believe my CM but after 15 years of dealing with VAC It's hard to trust any organization dealing with veterans.   I also don't really see any benefits for me in being approved CPP Disability and losing my Bridge Benefit portion of my pension, I can put that portion into an RRSP and make up for any contributions I won't be making to my CPP at 65.  CPP Disability Tax credit, I hear that's really hard to get?  The reasons CPP Disability gave me for my denial were just unbelievable, I can't see how anyone gets approved.  I'll end my rant here, I'll take a few days to try and decide if I should appeal or not, right now I have no idea.  Thanks for all your responses.

Mike77
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifleman Sat 12 Apr 2014, 19:45

Agree

Rifleman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 12 Apr 2014, 18:21

Agreed

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 12 Apr 2014, 18:01

I agree that the forms are inconvenient, to what extent is dependent on the Veteran. But if you have a doctor, or several doctors that say that you are severely and PERMANENTLY disabled, the chances of becoming not disabled, 12 months down the road is slim to none. That pesky little word PERMANENTLY kind of infers that the condition is not going to get better. Of course psychological conditions,like PTSD, may improve with time and or treatment, but not everyone on extended SISIP is only suffering from PTSD. And SISIP isn't doing Veterans some kind of huge favour by supplying these benefits. Manulife is paid, and likely paid well, to administer it. Our money help pay for the policy, it was our minds and bodies that were damaged in the line of duty, and it was our careers that were cut short as a result. So getting to bypass some of the typical red tape associated with insurance policies, shouldn't be that big a deal. Even if they only request the forms every 2-5 years, instead of every year, it would be less of an inconvenience to the Veteran, and still provide the oversight that is required on these types of plans.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 12 Apr 2014, 17:08

I am admittedly a little Crackers but my  sane thoughts on this matter is that as clients we simply must comply with Sisips requests for continual medical questionnaires and requests be it their requests to apply for CPP D or requested updates even if as you say at our expense  which in my opinion is a small price to pay for the benefit we receive as a result of the class action. We can claim the fees on our income tax return.  Likely the Sisip client is also a DVA client and will have duplicate medical questionnaires and documents for DVA and possibly CPP D so it is a matter of duplication and photocopying for the member and/or the physician filling out the forms. Is it an inconvenience yes, but the fact that we have the benefits means we are in a better position then those who don't. As for being cut off for no reason from Sisip, there are avenues available in that event but unlikely to occur if the client does as requested by the insurance company. As vets we are not immune to insurance company protocol even though we feel we should be. Not to mistake my post as derogatory in any way to anyone who is concerned with Sisip requests.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 12 Apr 2014, 15:31

Smokehouse, SISIP is an insurance company, and will do anything they can to minimize their payout. Several members here have been on CPP(D) for several years before getting reinstated by SISIS, but have already been requested to submit new medical forms, paid out of their own pocket of course, even though they had to submit this info in order to get reinstated. So, you could be bed ridden, and SISIP will still request that you prove that you are still disabled every year, that way, if you fail to meet any of their "requirements", they will stop paying you what is owed.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 12 Apr 2014, 12:53

I look at cppd as an insurance policy. If you qualify and are approved for cppd , which is harder to get than sisip ltd,  then maybe sisip ltd will leave you alone. Just my thoughts

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 12 Apr 2014, 11:00

Mike, it cannot hurt you to request an appeal. But if I were you, I would also be applying for the ELB program. They pay the same amount as SISIP, for now. That way, once approved, if SISIP ever does stop payments, all you would have to do is contact VAC, and the ELB payments will start. Minimizing the financial burden on you. Honestly, it was the lies, threats and insults that I endured while on SISIP, that kept me from fighting for reinstatement. The additional 4 years of retro just wasn't worth it.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike77 Sat 12 Apr 2014, 09:54

Good day I'm hoping to get some clarification after reading this post and it's comments.  I have been approved LTD past the 24 month period, doing my first yearly paperwork soon and am in constant contact with my CM at Manulife.  I have applied and was just denied CPP Disability, I asked my CM if it is mandatory under Manulife's/SISIP's Condition of Benefits agreement that I now apply for a Reconsideration/Appeal and he told me very specifically NO.  I was also told that me not applying for an Appeal will also in no way effect my continued LTD payments, he encouraged me to Appeal and told me about it's benefits but the choice was up to me.   He also did say they may get me to reapply for CCP disability in the next couple of years if my condition becomes worse.  The comments I read above don't seem to be the same info my CM is telling me?  I would just like to get some clarification from the people on here as I have to decide if I should Appeal soon and want to get as much info as possible.

Mike77
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next