Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Appointments to the Veterans Review and Appeal Board Announced

Go down

New Appointments to the Veterans Review and Appeal Board Announced Empty Re: New Appointments to the Veterans Review and Appeal Board Announced

Post by Guest Mon 10 Nov 2014, 13:25

thanks Ron I was unaware they had shortages,

Back to top Go down

New Appointments to the Veterans Review and Appeal Board Announced Empty Re: New Appointments to the Veterans Review and Appeal Board Announced

Post by Teentitan Mon 10 Nov 2014, 12:47

The recent additions of VRAB personnel are filling positions that were vacant for about 2 years. They are not ''adding'' people.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Nov 2014, 07:04

enjoy brother

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Nov 2014, 17:40

Have a great trip , Teen, So am I to assume that something is in the works regarding this Sisip/VAC merger issue. For myself , I hate insurance companies, but I like the idea of my ltd coming from a separate source besides VAC , having VAC control everything might give them too much power, I don't know, I guess there is positive and negatives but whenever the Government wants to do something it's usually about saving money. We all just got reinstated I'd hate to lose anything, just my opinion!

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Thu 06 Nov 2014, 16:37

Remembrance week guys and I'm heading to Montreal so it may take some time to find out...oh and about the SISIP/VAC merger too.

Lest we forget
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Nov 2014, 15:54

So I gather the current members are to be replaced by these appointments or are they adding these to bolster the depleted roster, Teen?

Back to top Go down

New Appointments to the Veterans Review and Appeal Board Announced Empty New Appointments to the Veterans Review and Appeal Board Announced

Post by Teentitan Fri 17 Oct 2014, 11:55

OTTAWA, Oct. 16, 2014 /CNW/ - The Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of Veterans Affairs, today announced that Wilfred Jephson and Mary Tobin Oates will join the Veterans Review and Appeal Board, which provides Veterans, Canadian Armed Forces and Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) members, and their families, with an independent avenue of appeal for disability benefit decisions made by Veterans Affairs Canada.

Wilfred Jephson of Ottawa, Ontario, has a strong background in policing and recently retired from the RCMP after 25 years as an investigator and general duty officer. During his career, he spent six years as a staff relations representative, advocating for the well-being of serving members and the development of the RCMP. Mr. Jephson is fluently bilingual and holds a Master of Arts in Conflict Analysis and Management from Royal Roads University.

Mary Tobin Oates of Ottawa, Ontario, has worked as a legal advisor for more than a decade in various federal departments including the RCMP, Finance Canada, Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada, and Justice Canada. Ms. Tobin Oates previously worked as a lawyer for Canada's income security programs, where she gained experience with administrative tribunals and the hearing process.

Quick Facts

Mr. Jephson is appointed for a three-year term.

Ms. Tobin Oates is appointed for a two-year term.

Appointments to the Veterans Review and Appeal Board are made by the Governor in Council through the Board's merit-based selection process.

The Veterans Review and Appeal Board is an independent body created in 1995 that conducts hearings across Canada to provide Veterans with the opportunity to bring forward new evidence, give oral testimony, and have supporting arguments presented on their behalf.

The merit-based selection process for new Board members prefers candidates with military, medical, policing or legal backgrounds in recognition of the people served by the appeal process and the nature of the work.

The last 11 members appointed to the Board have military, medical, policing or legal backgrounds. More than three-quarters of the Board's current members have these backgrounds (18 of 23).

Mr. Jephson is the third RCMP Veteran to be appointed to the Board. All three were appointed since 2011.

Quotes

"I welcome today's appointees to the Board and thank them for their dedication to Canadian Veterans. Both have the requisite knowledge and experience to ensure that this open and non-adversarial process continues to contribute to fairness in the disability benefits system for Veterans and their families."
The Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of Veterans Affairs

"On behalf of our President Dave Leblanc and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Veterans' Association, I want to express my sincere delight at these appointments. We are very pleased that the RCMP continues to be so well represented on the Veterans Review and Appeal Board."

Cal Small, Former President of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Veterans' Association

Related Products

Selection Criteria for Board Members

Role of Board Members

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1429684/new-appointments-to-the-veterans-review-and-appeal-board-announced
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down