Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New appointment to the Veterans Review and Appeal Board

4 posters

Go down

New appointment to the Veterans Review and Appeal Board Empty Re: New appointment to the Veterans Review and Appeal Board

Post by pinger Mon 22 Dec 2014, 18:53

Just a few thoughts. It seems to me the VRAB mirrors other government departments. Esp. when it comes to money or medical benefits. Compare VRAB first applications to CPPd's, where's the first time approvals? Pretty low? What about VAC first disability applications. Now-a-days I believe it's called throwing a one time cheap bone at the younger and even older soldiers (lump sum).

Those government denials also mimic first time ODSP applications here in Ontario. Absolutely denied on first application if you go that route. But as much as that is a provincial aside, a commonality exists.

I have heard and read terrible VRAB denials for quiet a while (Truth be told I never dealt with them myself),
BUT WHERE'S THE HAPPY ONES THAT ARE APPROVED??? On an OVO spreadsheet or access to info?
I think so.
Heres a chuckle... The OVO takes over the Salute magazine. What a novel thought.

Teen, about the 50/50 split, even if they were all 100% vets / officers and muddy like I mentioned, truly understandable with stuff... they are not worth the powder to blow them to hell... if they are on a short leash like an goc umbrella... Shyte.

Some have also mentioned VRAB should be shyte-canned. Yup, food for thought.

Merry Christmas to all you guys and gals. You are my peers. A poppy plate ain't req'd., just pay it forward to an invisible vet like this forum endeavours to do...

Fair winds, pinger.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

New appointment to the Veterans Review and Appeal Board Empty Re: New appointment to the Veterans Review and Appeal Board

Post by prawnstar Mon 22 Dec 2014, 12:04

Lyers are a perfect fit for VRAB. They know how to pick fly shit out of pepper. They know how to take a perfectly written piece of legislation and turn it into some mumbo jumbo that no one understands. Advocates are required but they are like legal aid lawyers. They work for the same department they are trying to squeeze some dollars out for their client. Why should we be "on trial" for trying to get benefits we are entitled to? If an orthopedic surgeon says your back is pooched why should anyone question it? The reason I say we are on trial is because VRAB is always questioning experts findings or diagnosis. In a real tribunal we the "defendant" would have the right to have a medical expert present their findings in person. Instead we have lawyers picking their reports apart which in the end can make us look like someone is trying to claim whiplash in a minor fender bender. Even summary trials seemed a bit more impartial than VRAB. I have been through both processes a few times. We cannot change the system but I quote a prominent member of this forum "always question authority".

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Mon 22 Dec 2014, 11:13

Well this appt makes 11 of the last 24 either ex military, RCMP, nurse, mental health practioner.

It's almost a 50/50 office of properly trained or familiar members who know what vets did for a living.

Is it perfect? No. But if we keep at it maybe someday it will be a department with all the right people to judge our facts, past jobs and inuries fairly.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 22 Dec 2014, 10:18

I think the best way to handle manning these boards is by having three positions at each hearing. One medical professional, preferably from a field dealing with the condition being looked at (ie psychiatrist for PTSD, orthopedic surgeon for bad backs Etc), a social worker, to deal with the family and social aspects of the condition, and a still serving senior NCO, from the individuals element (Army for Army, Navy for Navy) so that someone on the board has an understanding of the claimants experiences and especially terminology. For example, when I went in front of VRAB for my back, and explained that I had been hit by the Port Breezeway door on ship, none of the board members had ever stepped foot onboard a Naval vessel before, and had no clue that the door in question was several hundred pounds of steel, or knew how devastating getting hit by one being slammed shut by gale force winds could be.

My reasoning for having a still serving member on the board, is so that the Veteran knows that at least one board member is there based solely on their merits, and not as a political appointee, based on their loyalty to a political party.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Sun 21 Dec 2014, 19:07

Dirty hands and faces should be a damn well requirement for the VRAB appointment/topic at hand.
To boot? Take it up a notch.
My souls clean... rambling. pinger.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 21 Dec 2014, 18:20

boys ya both called it exactly right . I guess we all want the guys with dirty hands and faces in these positions instead of the guys with dirty souls .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 21 Dec 2014, 18:07

that would be the right fix pinger but hell it would do us right but then again the dirty stay dirty and you need not be a grunt to be dirty just a politician or a lawyer me boy.

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Sun 21 Dec 2014, 17:50

Sounds like an extremely well seasoned, and respectful, professional individual. Did he ever eat mud, Mmm, my favourite toothpaste. Or Granville?
Why can't an appropiate VRAB position be filled by say... an ex-Afghan vet/officer?

And he was 2003 -2009 VRAB? I'd like to scrutinize his caseload end results but I'm not a lawyer.
But of course he was not alone... Question authority? Rightfully so, his hiring to VRAB.
Something stinks...
I never had to deal with VRAB personally somehow. I pray I never need to because something is odd. Something wrong there... Pisses me off because some of you suffer, inside and outside of this forum.

Fair winds. pinger.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

New appointment to the Veterans Review and Appeal Board Empty New appointment to the Veterans Review and Appeal Board

Post by Teentitan Sun 21 Dec 2014, 11:59

OTTAWA, Dec. 19, 2014 /CNW/ - The Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of Veterans Affairs, today announced that Robert Malo will join the Veterans Review and Appeal Board, which provides Veterans, Canadian Armed Forces and Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) members, and their families, with an independent avenue of appeal for disability benefit decisions made by Veterans Affairs Canada.

Mr. Malo, of Joliette, Quebec, is a bilingual lawyer with extensive experience as a decision maker in an administrative tribunal setting. He has served on the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal since 2012 and previously on the Veterans Review and Appeal Board from 2003 to 2009. Over his 35-year legal career, Mr. Malo has practiced civil, criminal, family and administrative law and has worked as a mediator in family, civil, commercial and labour matters.

Quick facts

Mr. Malo is appointed for a three-year term.
Appointments to the Veterans Review and Appeal Board are made by the Governor in Council through the Board's merit-based selection process.
The Veterans Review and Appeal Board is an independent body created in 1995 that conducts hearings across Canada to provide Veterans with the opportunity to bring forward new evidence, give oral testimony, and have supporting arguments presented on their behalf.
The merit-based selection process for new Board members prefers candidates with military, medical, policing or legal backgrounds in recognition of the people served by the appeal process and the nature of the work.
The last 13 members appointed to the Board have military, medical, policing or legal backgrounds. More than three-quarters of the Board's current members have these backgrounds (20 of 25).

"I am pleased to announce the appointment of Robert Malo to the Veterans Review and Appeal Board. His extensive experience as a lawyer and tribunal decision maker will greatly benefit the Board as it continues to provide a fair and independent appeal process for Veterans and their families."
The Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of Veterans Affairs

Related products

Selection Criteria for Board Members
Role of Board Members
VRAB Quick Facts

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1466359/new-appointment-to-the-veterans-review-and-appeal-board
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down