Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What I take to help me sleep

2 posters

Go down

What I take to help me sleep Empty Re: What I take to help me sleep

Post by Brasidas Tue 03 Feb 2015, 13:13

Wow.  Thought I was alone in this.  I pray the turmeric will work.  It's been almost a month now that I can only barely walk.  Thing is when the knees stop working then that messes everything else up.   Hobbling put so much pressure on my left leg I cracked a bone in my foot.  Now I'm hobbling the other way and my lower back is killing me.
I have also had trouble sleeping with the medication, but I'd just suffer through nightmares and get a few hours sleep; better than no sleep at all. Maybe try some of the things you said.

Brasidas
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2012-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Feb 2015, 20:43

Oh yes Johnny we are a lot alike, if you were to look in my cupboard you will find quite a few bags of Organic traditions TURMERIC POWDER, they are 200gm bags and sell for about $9.00 a bag - I have been taken this for years, it is my number 2 supplement, this can be described in one word " MIRACLE " this is top notch stuff !
This is the best and cheapest way to take this stuff.

I take 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric mixed with about 1/2 glass of water once daily - I would not take any more than that, of course you will need to brush your teeth after that - I will tell you why no more then 1/2 teaspoon daily - any more than that and it will lower your iron count, and trust me it will, and that is not good.

The Ideal dose is 1/2 teaspoon - I am not going to get into the benefits of taken this - but what I will say is that this is the pharmaceuticals worse nightmare.

This is something I will continue to take for the rest of my life, it's not only amazing for inflammation, it has many many more benefits - benefits that will blow your mind.

Johnny, taken it in the powder form is much more beneficial than capsules, and it is also cheaper that way - way cheaper.

Good stuff Johnny !

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Mon 02 Feb 2015, 20:07

Trooper, well tks. It did knock me out like an horse, but still didnt stop the monsters in the early am. I will take your advise and cut it back, tks.
Here is one for you, and all achey comrades. Like alot of us, who slept in a hole in the grd for 20 plus years, we all have alot of aches. I have bad bursitis in my hips and take Curcumin for it. 1 at am , 1 at supper. It is an anti imflamatory and works awesome. I recommended to a few Vet friends. If I did not take it for a couple of days I would not sleep with the pain. Its not real cheap, $45 a bottle, and of course not covered. Just a tip for all if you have any joint aches. Better then a neddle or the knife. VVV..
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Feb 2015, 19:29

Hi there Johnny, your right there about going natural, if I did not take these steps years ago, I probably would not even be able to post, just to many meds that were taken over the control of my body.

Good for you in thinking the same.

With respect to the Melatonin you have to cut that down to only " ONE CAPSULE 3mg NOT 5mg - ONE 3mg ONCE DAILY "

I will tell you why, years ago I was taken more than 3mg and it screwed be up big time, I researched it for hours on end until I finally found the answer, and that answer is no more than 3mg.

I would also say to you that the limited to only 3mg is not well known - in fact it was I who told different naturopath, in my area of my findings, and they also did the research on it, and changed the way in which they tell their clients in the amount in mg they should be taking.

Trust me on this one, as I have spent many hours on this very issue.

The other problem is that some would suggest less than 3mg - again this is a problem as the Ideal amount is 3mg.

The other thing to mention with Melatonin is once taken, limit lighting before going to bed, after you have taken Melatonin.

The problem with Melatonin is that there are so many different opinions in how - or what amount is to be taken - I have done enough research on it to be comfortable with what I have stated.

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Mon 02 Feb 2015, 18:49

Thanks trooper. I take 3-4 5mg of melatonin. it knocks me out at first, and keeps the monsters out, but I usually wake up later in the early morning, well then we know what happens, down the rabbit hole, and no going back to sleep. Then its those mornings/day when I feel like I have been run over by an apc, and the cycle continues. I forgot about the only taking it for a short time thing. I see my naturopath dr in a couple of weeks and will have to discuss the sleep thing. Another appt DVA does not cover!
I am like you trooper, I like to do it natural without the chemicals. VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

What I take to help me sleep Empty What I take to help me sleep

Post by Guest Mon 02 Feb 2015, 18:19

I read some discussion on one of the threads about what to take for aids in helping you sleep.

I thought I would share what has worked for me, and continues to work for me today.

Some background - I always had difficulty getting sleep, and in the past was prescribed different sleeping pills, but for me no matter the pill I took it had the opposite effect, they all made things worse for me, it would knock me out but only for a short time, and the next day I was messed up all day.

Keep in mind what works for one, does not mean it will work for all, so my post is simply to say what works for me.

30 to 60 minutes before bed I take 3mg of Melatonin, that is one capsule of the QUEST brand 90 capsules for $10 which last me 3 Months.
One thing to point out here is that it is important to buy the 3mg not the 5mg, avoid taken more than 3mg in 24 hours, 3mg is the 'MAX" reason for that it could have the reverse effect, and you could be light headed the next day.
If you research Melatonin most suggest you only take it for a short time - take time off of it - and then restart it again.
I disagree with that as I have been taken it for years and yet to take myself off of it, and it continues to work great for me.

Along with the 3mg of Melatonin I take 1, 50mg sleep aid from Walmart equate brand, $6.00 for 20 Caplets, again I don't take myself off for any amount of time.

Everybody reacts differently to what they take, I just thought I would share what works for me, and the best part for me is that I don't get any side effects from it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum