Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for clarification.

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Looking for clarification.  Empty Re: Looking for clarification.

Post by Guest Thu 19 Mar 2015, 18:16

Guy Parent is in my opinion a man who is dedicated in his job as the OVO, he has a way of researching things, and putting his findings on paper in a clear, and understandable way for others to read and understand what he is actually talking about.

I am happy he is our OVO, and with respect to what teen said about this being his last year, if he does end up leaving, I think the person who is selected to replace him, will have big shoes to fill.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Mar 2015, 11:46

Thanks propat, I do say thing that are not always on the dot. Thanks for the doble checking.

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Thu 19 Mar 2015, 11:13

Teen I mostly agree with you about Pat Stogran. But he made quite the racket, which drew the attention of the media... (maybe a little bit like a catalyst ) pinger.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Mar 2015, 08:50

Georges no problem was confident in what I was saying so that's what I wrote but when you made your point I realized I wasn't that confident in why I was saying it. so realizing that I knew it was time to re-read some stuff anyway .

thanks for the kick start buds.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Mar 2015, 08:42

Guy Parent just looks too tired for another term.

Last edited by cofferfit on Thu 19 Mar 2015, 09:19; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Mar 2015, 08:31

thanks propat I respect you taking the time to double cheque that info.
When pat stogran started a few years back he invited vets to meet him in Ottawa to put together a action plan, he did what he said he would do and did it right. He told me on that day that after 3 years they would kick him out and that if the gov did not it's because he missed his objective. His way's of doing things prepared the ground waork for what is happening today. His new his 3 year objectives and did his part. No more No less.

Back to top Go down

Post by RCNRetired Wed 18 Mar 2015, 23:22

Where i respect what you say Teen, i must say the the OVO in my opinion has no authority, they may bring common sense to the equation there is not much they can do when VAC screw us over. sure they can bring it to there attention but if VAC say go away that is all the OVO can do. I have used the ombudsmans office three times, all for pretty straight forward issues, all three they apologized for their lack of authority other then to advise VAC. If government want to walk the walk rather than just talk then make the office the same statue of others ombudsmen.

RCNRetired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2014-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Wed 18 Mar 2015, 22:51

Pinger one thing you need to remember Pat Stogran was the first Vet Ombudsman but he was an "attack" oriented Ombudsman.

Pat brought vet problems out into the public.  Guy just brought the 'rock solid' proof to what Pat brought into the spotlight.

Guy Parent is a strategic Ombudsman.  His approach is bring a 3rd party to "prove"  NVC benefits, grants, awards are not sufficient.  A better approach then 'attack' and a tactic I know pisses off the bureaucrats because they cannot argue it.  Believe me in my years of being an advocate I have seen bureaucrats look at reports and say "That's your opinion".  But make that opinion an outside 3rd party and the bureaucrats can't argue or shrug off the report.  They have to prove it's wrong.  And guess what....the actuarial Guy did on the NVC was an actuarial the bureaucrats tried to ignore because it was a direct hit and it wasn't ignored because the Standing Committee and Harper challenged them to prove it wrong.

Reality check...Pat was not/not fired!  He did his 3 year term and was not renewed.  Simple as that.  No malice.  No discrimination. No intentional wrong doing.

If anything, and THIS IS MY OPINION, Harper saw that Pat was not living up to the Veterans Ombudsman that he thought would be effective against the VAC bureaucracy.  Hiring Pat was a spur of the momen decisiont by Harper and he realized it wasn't the right hire. Fire and brimstone was not the right choice for a Veterans Ombudsman.

An effective Ombudsman is not someone who takes the uniform off on a Friday and walks into being the Veterans Ombudsman on Monday.

An effective Ombudsman is a person who has been a VETERAN for more then 72 hours.  And before anyone rips me apart I TOLD PAT STOGRAN THIS TO HIS FACE WHILE HE WAS THE VETRANS OMBUDSMAN.

If anything Pat now knows a level head is better then a heads on attack when dealing with the bureaucracy of VAC.

Guy's term as the Ombudsman is over this year, 2015.  If Harper wants to keep the ball rolling to improve veterans lives then renew Guy for another 2/3 years.  AGAIN THIS IS MY OPINION.  I am not campaigning for Guy I am campaigning for veterans!
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Mar 2015, 18:33

georges

under

SCHEDULE I

(Section 21)
SCALE OF PENSIONS FOR DISABILITY

it shows 98%-100% are to be payed at the 100% rate.

so if your particular disability or disabilities is over 98% you are actually receiving a 100% pension.

thanks for the extra reading thou buds its always good to refresh some stuff.

thanks again

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Wed 18 Mar 2015, 18:18

Teen, you wrote " a ripple effect " in the context of pia. I would call it political/vac spaghetti.

Recon, you wrote " What Power does the OVO have to push for " EQUAL Benefits " though when it comes to standing up to the MVA O'Toole ? "
Let's remember what happened to Pat Stogran and that the OVO's office was established by Harper in the first place.

Just waiting for dust to settle.  pinger.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Mar 2015, 18:09

72. (1) In addition to any other allowance, pension or compensation awarded under this Act, a member of the forces shall be awarded an exceptional incapacity allowance at a rate determined by the Minister in accordance with the minimum and maximum rates set out in Schedule III if the member of the forces

(a) is in receipt of

(i) a pension in the amount set out in Class 1 of Schedule I, or

(ii) a pension in a lesser amount than the amount set out in Class 1 of Schedule I as well as compensation paid under this Act or a disability award paid under the Canadian Forces Members and Veterans Re-establishment and Compensation Act, or both, if the aggregate of the following percentages is equal to or greater than 98%:

(A) the extent of the disability in respect of which the pension is paid,

(B) the percentage of basic pension at which basic compensation is paid, and

(C) the extent of the disability in respect of which the disability award is paid; and

(b) is suffering an exceptional incapacity that is a consequence of or caused in whole or in part by the disability for which the member is receiving a pension or a disability award under that Act.

yup higher than 97.5 % or minimum of 98%

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Mar 2015, 18:00

Georges sory buds it is not 100% for EIA but I think it was either a minimum of 97.5% or 97.5 % or higher . but since I was under the understanding that after a citrine percentage a PA pension would be rounded up to the nearest 5% I felt as many have in the past you would actually need the 100% as any award between 95% and 100% would leave you with 100% anyway .

guess ill have to re-read that legislation again to see where I may have went off and although im pretty sure its higher than 97.5% clarify that as well.

thank you for that geoges.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Recon031 Wed 18 Mar 2015, 17:56

Well Ron ,

It sounds as though Minister O'Toole is using his resources to their fullest potential !

& Thanks for getting back to me so soon .

For Country
Retired Army MasterSniper
Dave Fitzpatrick
family of .......7....... get er' done bye's !
Recon031
Recon031
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 243
Registration date : 2013-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Wed 18 Mar 2015, 17:43

The OVO doesn't really have any powers but O'Toole wants the OVO involved when doing the administration to the NVC.

At least O'Toole is using his head and involving the OVO or he'd just get another bad report from the OVO if they botch it up!
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Mar 2015, 16:49

propat are you sure it takes 100% I am over 98% and I get the hole deal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next