Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Criteria Change to the Family Caregiver Relief Benefit effective 15 Dec 2015

2 posters

Go down

Criteria Change to the Family Caregiver Relief Benefit effective 15 Dec 2015 Empty Re: Criteria Change to the Family Caregiver Relief Benefit effective 15 Dec 2015

Post by johnny211 Sun 24 Jan 2016, 19:47

bigrex - Ya I found that little star by those words, interesting and confusing also. And alot maybe not all TPI, or Vets that would prob qualify for FCRB, would most likely be getting VIP. So its like a catch 22. It just seems odd, but what do I know, as I am one of those missing a few pieces..VVV.
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Criteria Change to the Family Caregiver Relief Benefit effective 15 Dec 2015 Empty Re: Criteria Change to the Family Caregiver Relief Benefit effective 15 Dec 2015

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jan 2016, 19:36

yuuuup .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 24 Jan 2016, 19:35

It seems to me like they are confusing the criteria for FCRB and the VIP benefits. To me this could cause problems because if you are already getting VIP for grounds maintenance and housekeeping, could they deny the FCRB because those IADLs are already compensated for, or visa versa, denying VIP because you are getting the FCRB.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Sun 24 Jan 2016, 17:52

Navrat - Yes, if you get a pension (mthly) prior too 06, you can apply for the AA. But if you read AA policy it is mainly for physical mobility issues. So for someone who is getting a mthly pension for physical injuries, and then if they have a mental issue after 06, they will be turned down for both the FCRB and the AA. The FCRB was designed for -

The new Family Caregiver Relief Benefit (FCRB) provides eligible Veterans with a tax-free lump sum grant. This benefit ensures Veterans continue to get the support they need when their informal caregivers are temporarily unavailable. It allows an informal caregiver to take time off and recharge or attend to their own health and well-being, while the Veteran's needs are still being provided for in his or her absence.

So right now, it appears to be one of those things that the OVO has to look over and do what they do.
Just thought I would put it out there for anyone else who was turned down. VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jan 2016, 16:45

Johnny absolutely your post will help...with so much changing it's always better to hear it first hand from one who has experienced it...thanks an good luck with your appeal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jan 2016, 15:54

VAC still has that problem whereby they don't tell you shtye! They should automatically tell each and every veteran what they are entitled to!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jan 2016, 15:52

So if you get AA you can't get family caregiver allowance!

Back to top Go down

Criteria Change to the Family Caregiver Relief Benefit effective 15 Dec 2015 Empty Criteria Change to the Family Caregiver Relief Benefit effective 15 Dec 2015

Post by johnny211 Sun 24 Jan 2016, 14:59

I learned from a Vet friend of mine who did a review on his FCRB, that on VAC website -
http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/2232#anchor48857

Effective 15 Dec 2015, the Dept has added new IADLs - Instrumental Activities of Daily Living such as
shopping/errands, Prep of meals, laundry, housekeeping, banking, using transportation or driving, using the
telephone, and grounds maint

One must need assistance with at least 4 IADLs for entitlement. I think this came to light because the old ADLs in dealt
mainly with physicaly and not really any mental injuries , such as PTSD, etc. I have personally talked to the OVO on my
claim, that was denied. They advised that they had hundreds of complaints as the FCRB, did nothing for you/spouse if
you have say PTSD. Of course if you put in for it prior to Dec, and where denied, you would not be told of these new IADLs.
But now you know.

What was interesting in my denial letter, and this was the case for alot of pre NVC Vets who put in for it. I was diagnosed in 2012,
so their reasoning for the denial is that the FCRB is for post 2006, and that I am entitled for the Attendance Allowance, as I had
other PA for physical injuries. But I did not want it for that, but for my spouse who puts up with my PTSD issues 24 hrs a day. So I go ahead,
put in for the AA(which is mainy for bathing, mobility help), and quess what I was denied again for it. The ? is which one can I get? I know
I am not the only injured Vet in this boat. So I appealed again with these new IADLs in mind, and will wait and see. It's that crazy spin again at
DVA, where which policy do I fit in too, which peg/hole. But I hope this of assistance to someone on here, who did not know about the change. VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down