Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Upgraded Pension Act ( UPA )

Go down

Upgraded Pension Act ( UPA ) Empty Re: Upgraded Pension Act ( UPA )

Post by Guest Wed 10 Feb 2016, 16:56

Sailor..I agree with your example..I believe the Veterans who were given the lump sum were screwed over big time an most if not all only found this out after the lump sum was received..an like I said in my post above..it is not the Veterans who wrote or agreed on the legislation therefore the lump sums should all be forgiven an the lifelong pension should be returned.
Mr. Hehr when asked about the availability of funds with regards to fixing things for Veterans..if you remember he said.."Whatever it takes."    
Right now we have a bunch of staffers working on various methods to reinstate the lifelong pension..the Liberals themselves have admitted they had no Idea what this entailed when they promised it.
What concerns me is that reinstating this could take forever an perhaps that might sit well with the MVA an his staff..but it does absolutely nothing for those Veterans who were denied this pension.

My suggestion above (UPA) would put to rest the Idea of the word (complex) an would bring back fairness for all Veterans..not for the short term..but for the long term.

Further to this it can be done quickly an easy an would pass legislation in the house quickly... which would really mean fixing the problem once an for all.

But like propat said...they will never do it because it makes to much sense.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Feb 2016, 16:39

hey sailor yup not making a lot as a 50% buyout in 06 was about 125K so only about 43k but that's a lot for some . of course if they had a wife and kids well that would be a lot more than that . and I think they deserve it .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Feb 2016, 16:32

ya trooper 10 years late 100 million short LOL.

should it be done ?yes!

can it be done ?yes!

will it be done ! absolutely not!

I have seen absolutely no will at all amongst any of the parties to get rid of the NVC in fact quite the opposite .

maybe some day down the road we will see some form of amalgamation but no time soon .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by sailor964 Wed 10 Feb 2016, 16:25

When you mention that the lump sum should be forgiven in reality most should be. The NVC was enacted in 2006 and anyone who missed out on the monthly diability would not have gotten extra in the first place. ie... if someone was on a 50 % disability they would have been receiving 1400 a month. This is only an example. Times that by 10 years that's 168 k. So really are they making anything. Only if they were collecting an ELB in which case most of them didn't realize they could until later in years. Whats your thought.
sailor964
sailor964
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Upgraded Pension Act ( UPA ) Empty Upgraded Pension Act ( UPA )

Post by Guest Wed 10 Feb 2016, 12:02

I'm just wondering if the following Idea or opinion would be something that makes a bit of sense - or no sense at all.
Something that perhaps the Liberals could do in fulfilling both their promise to make things right for Veterans an also the promises made to Veterans in conjunction with the Mandate letter given to our MVA.

Taking a step back an looking at the New Veterans Charter an how quick it was implemented is something worth looking back at..as it proves one thing..if that legislation was written an brought forward to the house for a vote an was voted in successfully in that lightning speed..the exact same thing can be done with this present government..especially given that it's a majority government.
It is true that some may suggest it is because of this approach of lighting speed that the NVC has proven to be unfair , unpopular , an even a failure..I would certainly agree with those individuals but would also like to add that it could work both ways in the aspect of writing up legislation an passing it through quickly..this of course if the outcome fulfills it's obligation to address or fix what it is aiming for in the first place.

We could call it the Upgraded Pension Act ( UPA )

Whether this makes sense or not what if they were to completely abolish the New Veterans Charter an write up new legislation as follows:

Insert into this new legislation the old pension act as it was written..all those post 2006 from the NVC would automatically transfer their disability assessment percentage numbers over into this legislation in conjunction to the pension act.

With regards to those that received lump sums..my suggestion would be that if it takes the government 4 years to figure out a way to deal or handle this..all funds should be forgiven..after all it's not the Veterans who wrote up that NVC legislation in the first place..so they should not bare the responsibility for it.

Insert both the PIA an the PIAS.

Insert the ELB with the following amendments..all service members who are to be medically released by the service be automatically entitled to two years of ELB not in the form of application but as part of their release process.. upon release.
Remove the rehab policy as per it being policy in qualifying for ELB.
Insert the SISIP policy into the ELB excluding the yearly medical reviews.
Give SISIP it's walking papers an transfer all recipients to the ELB.

Insert all promises made by the Liberals as per the mandate letter given to our MVA.

Insert a program of career opportunities for medically released Veterans with lower grade of disabilities..not in the form of the assessment of the disability as it pertains to the disability..but as a form of offering those Veterans who want to continue into a second career in allowing for those Veterans to make their own choice in accepting this or pursuing this.

Well I know I'm dreaming here an it may not make much sense.. but it was on my mind so I wrote it.
Just an opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down