Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disability Tax Credit

+21
1993firebird
PGV
rucksack031
sabrelove
Recon031
Teentitan
pinger
Rifleman
Dove96
dzanzio
bulldozer
derngt
beleaf67
Sapper Zodiak
bigrex
peep
ceedee
Nemo
froggie2u36
puddleduk2
RCN-Retired
25 posters

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

Go down

Disability Tax Credit - Page 15 Empty Re: Disability Tax Credit

Post by Ex Member Mon 21 Jan 2013, 08:57

DCHD, yes you can apply for a Disability Tax Credit. You can download the form at Service Canada website and bring into a local office or they will have copies for you there. Your doctor needs to complete the form and charges a nominal fee for doing it. If approved the DTC, you will get tax relief from a portion of your taxable income for the current year and determinant how far back the DTC will go. I understand 10 years maximum.

Sparrow

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by froggie2u36 Mon 21 Jan 2013, 08:57

Are you talking about the tax credit for when you do your income tax? If so yes.

froggie2u36
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member Mon 21 Jan 2013, 08:53

Tax credits

So it may be possible to get tax credits if you have VAC pension and or LTD from SISIP???

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member Sun 20 Jan 2013, 19:51

Yes thanks Propat. Got my back Jack! Smile

Sparrow

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Jan 2013, 19:47

now remember you dont have to be on cppd to get the tax credit.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member Sun 20 Jan 2013, 16:51

Thanks Bolt, the other important fact is that if approved the CTC for this current year and backwards, it will help offset the taxes from the settlement whether you take it in one lump sum or the other option which I am unclear of yet so I can not comment for certainty but definitely apply.

Sparrow

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Disability Tax Credit - Page 15 Empty Disability Tax Credit

Post by Guest Sun 20 Jan 2013, 16:00

A couple of years ago I applied for and received the Canada Disability Tax Credit as a result of having a CPP-D benefits. The reason I mention this is that a lot of former CF mbrs I've spoken to about this tax credit weren't aware that they could possibly be entitled to it as well.

They ended up going back 10 years (the maximum they'll go back). I didn't get a big chunk of cash back but a respectable amount all the same.

So if anyone has a CPP-D or VAC benefits, it wouldn't hurt to look into as you never know, you may be entitled to some type of a tax credit in the form of a cheque.

Just for discussion sake, I ended up getting the Tax Credit just from submitting my med info on PTSD.

Some doctors are jerks when asking them to submit the forms as they believe you should be in a wheelchair in order to get it but that's not the case at all.

Food for thought folks.

Last edited by BoltAction308 on Sun 20 Jan 2013, 16:01; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Freaking iPad is making up words when I try abbreviating them!)

Back to top Go down

Post by RCN-Retired Sat 19 Jan 2013, 01:22

Thanks guys for the assistance.
RCN-Retired
RCN-Retired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2012-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by puddleduk2 Fri 18 Jan 2013, 11:15

correction it is under the "notices" section,

Re: CPP Disability and additional income or taxable deductions, posted 17 august 2012

Last edited by puddleduk2 on Fri 18 Jan 2013, 11:17; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition of last line of text)
puddleduk2
puddleduk2
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2012-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by puddleduk2 Fri 18 Jan 2013, 11:13

they would when approved back date to the date of injury,

if it happens to be 10 years then the doctor just has to state that for you,

then from this date forward your dtc expires at the end of every five years, they will not send a renewal to you, but your accountant or the person who does your taxes will need at least four to six months for the turn around within cra to process the application renewal. It will be back dated to the end of the last one if you forget to have it ready for each taxation year.

each tax year that it is in effect, it gives you a written tax write off, last years amount was in excess of $7K for the deduction. If i remember it is a non refundable tax credit,

I wrote more on this about six months ago in august under the veteran help section i believe,

hope this helps
puddleduk2
puddleduk2
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2012-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Jan 2013, 06:10

rcn im not sure about their internal prosses but when it is compleat they will send you a letter stating if you have it ore not.if you are not accepted you can appel.if you get it then you can claim it on your taxes.it also qualifies you for the disability savings plan witch in my mind is huge but you need to be under 50 years of age to take advantage.

propat

Back to top Go down

Disability Tax Credit - Page 15 Empty CRA Disability Tax Credit

Post by RCN-Retired Fri 18 Jan 2013, 02:10

Does anyone know how the DTC works, my doctor recently completed the CRA forms and submitted them due to my prolonged disability. Now I don't know what the process or any benefit to me for having this done. Any enlightenment on this subject will be appreciated. Very Happy
RCN-Retired
RCN-Retired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2012-11-14

Back to top Go down

Disability Tax Credit - Page 15 Empty Disability Tax Credit

Post by Ex Member Mon 24 Dec 2012, 19:00

Many will already know this, but I thought I would give it a go regardless, maybe it may help one person at least. Not sure if you know but the Disability Tax Credit is available to all disabled Veterans, and the CRA will backdate it to whatever year your doctor specifies you began being disabled. The CRA then reassesses your tax years back to the date of disabled. Up to a maximum I believe is 10-12 years. I'd have to confirm the amount of years they retro it. I just recieved notice from another Vet I advised of this. His average refund will be around $1500-$2000 per year. They also cut him a cheque for $14,000.00+ Just got the call today from his wife. What a nice Christmas present. Anyway please everyone have a safe holiday season...best wishes for the upcoming year ahead...now its time to go eat some of Santa's cookies!!!

Supreme out

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15