Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Defence Department has sent a soldier suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder a bill for $427.97

+8
PGV
Dove96
By the Bay
Rags
meathead
bigrex
RCN-Retired
Jeffery M
12 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The Defence Department has sent a soldier suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder a bill for $427.97 - Page 5 Empty I need input from our brothers and sisters on your take about PTSD, be straight up

Post by Guest Wed 06 Mar 2013, 07:01

When allowed to dream of nothing I am secure,
When I feel secure I dream of all things wild or tame.
Amassed within these thoughts heavenly or impure,
Is the reality that I truthfully live in shame.
(SG Robinson circa 2003)
(from my personal War Journal)
It was at this point that I felt I was in trouble, the headaches reached a frenzied intensity and I kept on seeing these strange but very familiar images within the giant screen imbedded in my brain. The words “Don’t be weak” and “don’t get emotional” stabbed and stabbed into my brain like a sewing machines needle knifing through its dormant fabric. Every time these expressions stabbed into me I felt my woven moral fabric losing its strength, it coarseness starting to erode. I felt as though all who looked upon me saw me for my luminescent and rock like characteristics but failed to see the twisted inner struggle for freedom deep inside this olive drab coloured suit. This cold piercing intrusion exposed a tattered and worn anomaly in my otherwise covert armor and I became frightened like never before. I no longer understood why the soldier armor was allowed to stop all things inhuman but it couldn’t stop a verbal bullet. Why the fuck am I not permitted to be emotional or weak, why was the weight of protecting myself heavier than the actual combat missions or these intense images?

I had dared myself to ask, why not?
I officially had become a statistic and my life was about to change immediately.

Last edited by RobbieRoyal on Wed 06 Mar 2013, 07:03; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding shit as usual)

Back to top Go down

The Defence Department has sent a soldier suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder a bill for $427.97 - Page 5 Empty Re: The Defence Department has sent a soldier suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder a bill for $427.97

Post by Guest Tue 05 Mar 2013, 10:08

Ok I am outta here damn smokers lol. I quit smoking awhile back and quit drinking, no I did become a monk I just took those stressors out of my already fracked up world. Guess I am only half as bad now lol.

Back to top Go down

The Defence Department has sent a soldier suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder a bill for $427.97 - Page 5 Empty Re: The Defence Department has sent a soldier suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder a bill for $427.97

Post by Rags Tue 19 Feb 2013, 13:10

My doc said I should not stop till later as nicoteen has a positive effect on the brain particularly in neropathways. She told me many PTSD patience smoke and it maybe bad for the health from a lung and cancer perspective but that in the short term it is very good for the brain.
I am brain injured and find it helps me with my destroyed neopathways and the new ones Im building.
I also find it is really good for the pain as it takes my mind off it for a bit. better then the heavy drugs id have to take if not for the smoke.

Rags
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by meathead Fri 15 Feb 2013, 15:58

"Smoke them if you got them and if you don't go thru the motions"
Wife says that it looks like i am eating them. Probably because it's friggen cold out-side. I tried the gum and starting chewing them so hard my gums began to bleed. Patch for six months nothing. So out-side I go, besides if I don't go out the dog will explode.

Tom

meathead
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2012-09-27

Back to top Go down

The Defence Department has sent a soldier suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder a bill for $427.97 - Page 5 Empty PTSD & Cigarettes

Post by Guest Fri 15 Feb 2013, 15:35

Just curious because I noticed that a lot of PTSD sufferers are smokers. I have PTSD, I smoke like its a contest.

I tried using Champix/Chantix only to develop a weird heart beat so was told to stop taking them and as such, in order to make myself feel better, I hopped in the soccer mom van and grabbed a pack of smokes at the closest corner store. The first drag was like angels swimming in my lungs! Damned! I missed you nicotine!

Sad really but it's the truth! Tried the patch but that sucked. Tried the gum but I can't chew gum properly and my mouth was all raw after a day. Tried the spray and thought it looked stupid and didn't offer much relief. Tried the electronic cigarette and cheated by smuggling nicotine drops from the US into Canada to put into the e-cigarettes. If anything, I'm devoted!

So yeah, how many here who have PTSD or any other psych diagnosis are smokers?

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 24 Jan 2013, 19:52

Yes, all psychiatric conditions, including PTSD are treated the same way. They pension you according to the symptoms and not the condition itself.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Jan 2013, 18:19

PTSD fluctuates wildly within the VAC table of disabilities (TOD) as they do lump most if not all psychiatric disorders under the one umbrella.

Anxiety and depression were at one time lumped with PTSD but it may have changed by now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member Thu 10 Jan 2013, 13:58

The experience I had with DVA and the "bracketed" policy is similiar to RCN in that when I was applying for knee conditions albeit different diagnosis's for different areas of  both knees and at different stages  due to deteriation of the knees and numerous surgeries, they were all ultimately bracketed together. This "bracketing" was the case for both knees (bilateral). Whereas the individual conditions should have assessed indepentantly and valued higher. Obviously "bracketing" saves money and paperwork on the part of DVA. Furthermore, due to the "bracketing" policy I was made to wait 3 years without benefits so that a final decision could be made as to percentages because DVA wanted the knees to be at a point of no improvement. Sparrow

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member Thu 10 Jan 2013, 13:17

RCN-Retired wrote:I have to ask, I have major depression 70%  since 1995 and Physiologist last year had me go through PTSD tests which had him indicate that I was misdiagnosed and rather then Major Depression I have PTSD which has caused MD. VAC case manager has said not to expect any % change as my PTSD will be bracketed to my major depression. Anyone out there have similar or can enlighten me on expectations other than screwed over by VAC?  
1. Case managers know nothing regarding pensions, don't waste your time with CM.
2. They're not doctors nor are they qualified to say there will be no increase.
3. They cannot stop you from applying for an increase even if your % is not affected.
4. Ask for an increase if your case manager calls you...ask him/her why they're calling you with regards to your PTSD, when he/she is not the body that decides. You have the ultimate decision when it comes to your file and body. Your case manager is there to make sure you are ok and to offer assistance with your personal care and comfort. THAT IS ALL.

I am hearing alot about case managers expanding there scope of responsibilities. They need a reminder as to what they're getting paid to do. A good case manager will not interfere with any processes with regards to applications for anything. They do however deal with VIP but again it comes down to meeting the needs of the Veteran. I'm gettig tired of hearing CM'S involving themselves in veteran applications for pensions when its not there decision. Nor there area of practice.
Hope this helps.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RCN-Retired Thu 10 Jan 2013, 04:06

I have to ask, I have major depression 70% since 1995 and Physiologist last year had me go through PTSD tests which had him indicate that I was misdiagnosed and rather then Major Depression I have PTSD which has caused MD. VAC case manager has said not to expect any % change as my PTSD will be bracketed to my major depression. Anyone out there have similar or can enlighten me on expectations other than screwed over by VAC?
RCN-Retired
RCN-Retired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2012-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member Fri 28 Dec 2012, 20:04

My brother is pensioned 100% for PTSD...Ruwanda...that explains it though.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Dec 2012, 10:52

I alsow got 10% temporary, then 40% and at last look 80% for PTSD and Mayor depression. NOTE. when awarded a % for PTSD you go not need a reevaluation very year, there is a mimistareal decree on that to avoid stress to vet's.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member Tue 25 Dec 2012, 08:43

MrMurphy ,

Good morning & A very Merry Christmas to you

Take Care & have a Great Day

For Country
Recon031

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member Mon 24 Dec 2012, 19:03

I have yet to see anyone get less then 30% for PTSD

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Dec 2012, 20:25

Murphy
Only know how VAC figures stuff out

I remember getting 3% for IBS
After shacking my head and calling VA to get an answer, she said that at the time Va gave a max of 30% for full-blown IBS

In my terms it meant that I would think I needed to crap but it happened 10 minutes earlier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next