Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Veteran is told he owes VAC over $81000 in back pay due to SISIP lawsuit

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A Veteran is told he owes VAC over $81000 in back pay due to SISIP lawsuit Empty Re: A Veteran is told he owes VAC over $81000 in back pay due to SISIP lawsuit

Post by LawnBoy77777 Thu 18 Aug 2016, 11:25

We should get ELB + SISIP LTD as ELB is Damages in Tort & SISIP LTD is a contractual insurance payment you bought the Right to by paying premiums.

By clawing back SISIP from ELB, they are violating the law. The Bradburn Rule says you get both

LawnBoy77777
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2015-05-02

Back to top Go down

A Veteran is told he owes VAC over $81000 in back pay due to SISIP lawsuit Empty Re: A Veteran is told he owes VAC over $81000 in back pay due to SISIP lawsuit

Post by bigrex Thu 30 Jun 2016, 10:12

That is clear. You cannot collect both SISIP and ELB. So if SISIP has reinstated him, and has already paid him for the all the previous years since his release, he will have to pay back any ELB received. But we do not know whether or not he has actually received the funds from SISIP, or if VAC is merely saying that he has been over payed based solely on the successful appeal decision, even if he hasn't been paid yet.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by 1993firebird Thu 30 Jun 2016, 08:18

Understood.

1993firebird
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Jun 2016, 20:06

So was I.

Back to top Go down

Post by 1993firebird Wed 29 Jun 2016, 19:58

I was replying to bigrex.

1993firebird
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Jun 2016, 17:51

With regards to my last post I was referring that the individual actually received funds from SISIP, if you remember from the adjudicator appeal, many were on ELB, and appealed their denial from SISIP, those who won their appeal and were receiving ELB had to collaborate the funds received from SISIP, with the funds received from ELB to balance the amount, the balance owed, was owed to VAC for the ELB.
To me if that's the case, the individual like everyone else needs to pay back the recovery to VAC, as we all know, you can't collect both.

Back to top Go down

Post by 1993firebird Wed 29 Jun 2016, 13:53

Sparrows husband had not received the SISIP back pay when VAC demanded the money back for ELB.

1993firebird
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1993firebird Wed 29 Jun 2016, 13:51

I was the exact situation and I did not inform VAC that I won my SISIP appeal until after I received the SISIP back pay but the only reason I did not tell VAC is because Sparrow beat me to it and was informed that her husband must pay the money back to VAC for the ELB right away or they take all of your monthly VAC pension monthly if you have one to pay the money back. I was lucky because I am a thorough person and was going to tell VAC about my appeal win before I received the SISIP back pay.

1993firebird
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 29 Jun 2016, 11:21

Yes, but a Veteran shouldn't lose his ELB, or be forced to pay back any payments, until he has received the money from SISIP for that time period. Just because the Adjudicator says that he is reinstated, nothing is official, until money starts flowing from SISIP. The only thing that I'm worried about, when defending the guy, is finding out that he has been knowingly collecting both SISIP and ELB for the last 4 years, thinking that they would never talk to each other, and was caught.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Jun 2016, 09:38

Rex I think you got it right, the individual won his appeal through the SISIP lawsuit (adjudicator) and was already receiving benefits from ELB, the amount received from the SISIP appeal would need to paid back to DVA as the recovery adjustment to pay back for what he received from his ELB in collaboration with his SISIP appeal lump sum payment.

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Tue 28 Jun 2016, 21:27

Likewise at 13:44 firebird.
I was never sisip.

That fella's situation sucks.

Perhaps there's more to it though?
I mean overlaps that aren't invented...

pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Jun 2016, 20:43

VAC wants this fellow to payback $1000 per month until they recoup what they claim is an overpayment. It would take him approximately 6.6 years to pay it off.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Jun 2016, 20:39

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/edmonton/former-soldier-shocked-by-81-000-bill-from-veterans-affairs-1.3655018

Here's a link that doesn't ask you to install the Yahoo application to read the article.

No offense bigrex.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 28 Jun 2016, 14:59

The only other possible explanations, would be if the Veteran was reinstated by SISIP, after the lawsuit, but didn't tell VAC, and has been collecting both SISIP and an unreduced ELB payment, for the last 4 years. Or that he has been reinstated by SISIP, through the adjucicator, VAC could see that as being SISIP and ELB for those four years, even if he has been told that it could take a year or more before starting to collect any money, as we have seen with others. Just too many unknowns to truely know for sure, but I'm sure that this will be in the news again, hopefully with more details.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1993firebird Tue 28 Jun 2016, 13:44

I am very glad for my situation.

1993firebird
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next