Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Increasing Vocational Rehabilitation Education Benefit from Two to Four Years.

+2
Vet1234
Teentitan
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Increasing Vocational Rehabilitation Education Benefit from Two to Four Years.  Empty Re: Increasing Vocational Rehabilitation Education Benefit from Two to Four Years.

Post by Teager Tue 28 Mar 2017, 19:54

VRI I hear you I'm in the same boat except on SISIP. What I was thinking was if you can take voc rehab either SISIP or VAC get a job you would still be able to advance your education part time or online with the new education benefit. Who knows how this will be written tho. If they say no your not entitled after voc rehab then those on SISIP are getting a crappy education benefit.

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Increasing Vocational Rehabilitation Education Benefit from Two to Four Years.  Empty Re: Increasing Vocational Rehabilitation Education Benefit from Two to Four Years.

Post by VRI Mon 27 Mar 2017, 20:28

Teager wrote:Have been informed you just can't use both benefits at the same time but can use the new Education benefit after voc rehab is complete. Hopefully this is right.

Sur3 that's right, but if you get off voc rehab, you lose ELB. So yeah, you have more flexibility with your education, but how do you feed your family for 4 years? I'd love to take advantage of this program, but I can't afford to get off ELB just now. Have to hope I can find a job that will allow me to pay bills whIle attending uni, THEN get off Voc rehab and hope for the best.

VRI
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2016-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Fri 24 Mar 2017, 23:15

Have been informed you just can't use both benefits at the same time but can use the new Education benefit after voc rehab is complete. Hopefully this is right.

Teager
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Fri 24 Mar 2017, 21:58

This is in the newest Bill and shows that the wounded are disadvantaged especially those on SISIP with only $25k

Here's what's in the bill. So guess if your injured this Education is not available to you if you get SISIP or voc rehab.

5.‍7 The Minister is not permitted to pay an education and training benefit to a veteran if they are being provided with rehabilitation services or vocational assistance under Part 2, or are entitled to a Canadian Forces income support benefit under that Part.

Teager
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Thu 23 Mar 2017, 20:22

So the way I see it the ones getting the worst deal are the ones on SISIP with only $25k for education. I wish the government had eliminated SISIP this budget and stuck us all under VAC.

Teager
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Mar 2017, 16:39

It certainly is a dog's breakfast.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Mar 2017, 14:55

bruce72,

I don't think any government is going to ever bring back the one Veteran, one Standard.

The charter itself is the problem, in order to properly get back to the one Veteran, one Standard, the charter needs to be scrapped, and the old act brought back. We know this is not going to happen, so I think moving forward we have to work hard to unify Veterans and Veterans groups in getting on the same page. We can out beat the legion and strengthen our voices if we were to unify together, the charter has made it difficult to do just that, they, the bureaucrats and the government have beat us all. Until we change, things will continue to run in such a way that categorizes disabled Veterans, but maintains the governments relayed perception that all is well and good with our file. I don't ever remember our file being in such a chaotic state pre 2006. Are we all becoming accustomed to such a chaotic mess regarding our file?

JMO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Mar 2017, 08:26

I didn't think it was possible, but the situation for veterans is actually worse under Trudeau, than it was under Harper.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Thu 23 Mar 2017, 06:58

Taz wrote:So from what I understand from this is that Vets whose careers have been tragicaly cut short due to being injured in service earliest in their careers (out of their control) are being shafted on education benefits. They get half of the benefit. Wouldn't someone in this situation require the higher benefit since they now have to build up new skills and start rebuilding their earning potential? Whereas the older Vet may be more skilled upon release, have supervising/management experience and possibly is a lot less interested in an $80,000 education.

Just give every Vet the same damn amount for retraining. Why the heck does the government keep insisting on having different classes of Vets? This has got to stop. Whether injured after 2 years or 20 years... a Vet in need should have the full opportunity to  receive the compensation they need to get back on their feet and support themselves and their families.

Am I wrong here?

That's what is happening right now. The budget actually cuts funding, and doesnt increase it.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Mar 2017, 01:05

I'm seething mad over this horse crap legislation.

Last edited by bruce72 on Thu 23 Mar 2017, 21:05; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed profanity)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Mar 2017, 01:03

"Why the heck does the government keep insisting on having different classes of Vets"?

Because there is people out there who insist, by virtue of education, age, money, status and or nice hair, that think they know best.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taz Thu 23 Mar 2017, 00:04

So from what I understand from this is that Vets whose careers have been tragicaly cut short due to being injured in service earliest in their careers (out of their control) are being shafted on education benefits. They get half of the benefit. Wouldn't someone in this situation require the higher benefit since they now have to build up new skills and start rebuilding their earning potential? Whereas the older Vet may be more skilled upon release, have supervising/management experience and possibly is a lot less interested in an $80,000 education.

Just give every Vet the same damn amount for retraining. Why the heck does the government keep insisting on having different classes of Vets? This has got to stop. Whether injured after 2 years or 20 years... a Vet in need should have the full opportunity to receive the compensation they need to get back on their feet and support themselves and their families.

Am I wrong here?
Taz
Taz
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2017-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Rustytheviking Wed 22 Mar 2017, 21:35

Those of us released before 12 years get hooped. Not surprised

Rustytheviking
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2017-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Mar 2017, 19:53

A NEW VETERANS’ EDUCATION AND
TRAINING BENEFIT
After putting themselves in harm’s way in service to our country, our women and
men in uniform deserve a successful transition to civilian life. A smooth transition is
vital for the overall well-being of our veterans and their families.
To help, Budget 2017 proposes to amend legislation to create a new Education
and Training Benefit. In short, this benefit would provide more money for veterans
to go to college, university or a technical school after they complete their
service, through an investment of $133.9 million over six years, starting in 2016–17,
and $10.3 million per year ongoing.
The new program would begin in April 2018 for veterans honourably released on
or after April 1, 2006. Veterans with 6 years of eligible service would be entitled to
up to $40,000 of benefits, while veterans with 12 years of eligible service would
be entitled to up to $80,000 of benefits.
ENHANCING CAREER TRANSITION SERVICES
In addition to providing more money for veterans to go back to school, Budget
2017 proposes to amend legislation to enhance the Career Transition Services
Program. This measure would equip veterans, Canadian Armed Forces
members, survivors, and veterans’ spouses and common-law partners with the
tools they need to successfully navigate and transition to the civilian workforce.
The services offered would be expanded to include coaching and job
placement assistance, all of which would be provided through a national
contractor starting in April 2018. The investment would total $74.1 million over
six years, starting in 2016–17, and $4.5 million per year ongoing.

How Veterans Will Benefit
David is a 32-year-old Canadian Armed Forces member who
will be released in the summer of 2018 after 12 years of service
in the Regular Force as an ammunition technician. He is
planning on going back to school full-time for a three-year
college course to become a civil engineering technician. He
will receive an education benefit of $20,000 per year for each
of those three years. Depending on his family income, David
could also be eligible to receive student grants and loans
through the Canada Student Loans Program. In addition,
David can access employment services such as career
counselling and job-search training under the Career Transition
Services Program to assist him in re-entering the labour force
following the completion of his studies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Sat 18 Mar 2017, 11:00

They have actually had the ability for a few years. In the past it was approved under "special circumstances"
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next