Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the longest time anyone here has been on the REHAB program?

+4
johnny211
bigrex
Teager
Vet1234
8 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What is the longest time anyone here has been on the REHAB program? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is the longest time anyone here has been on the REHAB program?

Post by bigrex Thu 24 May 2018, 07:18

Unfortunately, Veterans Affairs doesn't care if Veterans who are capable of working full time, are unable to find well paying jobs. But it's a possibility, that after you get treatment, the rehab program could be used to go back to school, while remaining on ELB, to give you a better chance of finding a different well paying job.

But look at it this way, you have said that, without treatment, your current job is at serious risk. So you either quit, and get treatment, or you get fired, and then seek treatment. The end result is the same. But if you resign, letting them know that it's for medical reasons, without going into details, it's less likely to be held against you in a few years later, if you try to get rehired..
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

What is the longest time anyone here has been on the REHAB program? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is the longest time anyone here has been on the REHAB program?

Post by Guest Wed 23 May 2018, 23:25

bigrex wrote:If you are taking part of the rehab program, VAC only deduct 50% of your employment income. But it is capped at 100% of your imputed income. So if your 90% ELB amount is calculated at $48000, your can earn up to $53000, between your ELB and Employment combined, ELB was never intended to supplement the income if someone who is capable of working a full time job. It was enacted, so that those Veterans who have lost employment income, do not fall below a certain level of financial security, while they are off work, or their work hours are reduced, while taking part in the rehab program.

It was my CM who recommended REHAB/ELB, I don't know the ins and outs, but judging from the math, my take home pay would be 0 from ELB.

Last edited by Artie Simm on Sat 26 May 2018, 18:04; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 23 May 2018, 19:42

Basically what the ELB regulations lay out, is that if you are getting ELB, while continuing to work, they will only deduct enough money, to bring you to 100% of you imputed income. I could be wrong about how they actually calculate, but the way I read it, is that while getting ELB and working, that you will be capped at the 100% amount.

(i) 50% of employment earnings payable while the veteran is participating in a rehabilitation plan or vocational assistance plan developed by the Minister so long as the sum of the earnings loss payable for a month plus the employment earnings for the month does not exceed the veteran’s imputed income

Unfortunately, these calculations are left over from when ELB was only 75%, so it would have allowed you to benefit more from earning Income, and could be the reason that as of next year, you will be able to earn $20000 before they start making any deductions.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Newfie Wed 23 May 2018, 13:01

Bigrex
Isn’t the ELB a top up of 90% of your pay when released from Military with a minimum of 48,000? Then they top up after deducting your military pension and LTD, CPP, etc. My pay was more than $48,000 even with Spec pay removed.

Newfie
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2013-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 23 May 2018, 09:05

If you are taking part of the rehab program, VAC only deduct 50% of your employment income. But it is capped at 100% of your imputed income. So if your 90% ELB amount is calculated at $48000, your can earn up to $53000, between your ELB and Employment combined, ELB was never intended to supplement the income if someone who is capable of working a full time job. It was enacted, so that those Veterans who have lost employment income, do not fall below a certain level of financial security, while they are off work, or their work hours are reduced, while taking part in the rehab program.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 May 2018, 20:51

But VAC does subtract current employment correct?

Last edited by Artie Simm on Sat 26 May 2018, 18:01; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by propat Tue 22 May 2018, 17:18

hey artie if I recall correctly the going forward basis was in reference to retroactive pay . ie they would not recalculate any amounts prior to that like they did for SISIP payments . keep in mind there is a current legal challenge to that . however anything being calculated today regardless of when you received your pension they cannot deduct it from your ELB .

propat

propat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2017-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 May 2018, 23:19

bigrex wrote:They do not deduct the disability pension from ELB any longer. So the worst case scenario when going on ELB would 47,326 (new minimum  ELB), including your CF pension. Then your PA pension would be on top of that, as well if you are approved for PIA.
I don't have all the #`s yet.

Last edited by Artie Simm on Sat 26 May 2018, 18:03; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 20 May 2018, 10:07

They do not deduct the disability pension from ELB any longer. So the worst case scenario when going on ELB would 47,326 (new minimum ELB), including your CF pension. Then your PA pension would be on top of that, as well if you are approved for PIA.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 May 2018, 02:02

I`m caught between a rock and a hard place, sorry I`m still confused about ELB. VAC is currently working on what my take home will be if anything, The problem is mostly my job as it requires 2 weeks notice for any "Dr. appointment" ( which in fact are psychologist sessions), and the time frame allowed to be away from work to attend is 3hours only. I guess I could get by one 1 session every 2 weeks if I jump through the proper hoops at work, but it`s daunting, plus even when I make a session, which could be any where from 9-5pm, after an hour of dredging up my past to a shrink, the last thing I want to do is return to work, I`m too emotionally drained afterward. To avoid all this any time my psychologist set me up with an appointment, I just called my work place and said that I was "sick" and wouldn`t be in for the whole day, but at 26 sessions a year, calling sick, my job has put me on attendance management which could end up getting me fired.
If fired or quit I could make tons of sessions, but from my understanding of ELB my previous military pension and current disability pension would be subtracted from I`m guessing $42000?, that wouldn't leave me with much

Last edited by Artie Simm on Tue 22 May 2018, 10:41; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 May 2018, 01:52

You are correct, I do have PTSD and I don't want to leave my job, but my symptoms persist and are becoming noticeable to co-workers.

Last edited by Artie Simm on Sat 26 May 2018, 18:02; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 19 May 2018, 16:47

Artie, even if you go on rehab and get ELB, you are not required to quit your job. .So if you keep working, and earn $40000/yr, VAC will only deduct $20000 from your ELB benefit, as long as you are participating in the rehab program, which could be something as simply attending weekly appointments with a mental health professional.The $42000 was the minimum amount you can get under the ELB, before deductions. I think it is actually more now. but it's quite possible to receive much more dependant of your rank and when you released
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Sat 19 May 2018, 10:35

Artie Simm if I understand correctly you technically do not want to leave your job? You also want help with PTSD to better function in your job? Now I'm guessing you have already had a claim for PTSD. If that's the case you can still get treatment while working IF that works for you. VAC will still cover the costs of any therapy you may need. There's also other avenues like a service dog I know the wait is long for one but maybe having one at work can help you.

There's a lot of different things out there as different things work for different people. You just need to find what works for you. If the rehab program is whats best apply see what's available. Just because you get accepted to rehab but let's say it's not working for you doesn't mean you need to do it. Applying and getting accepted for benefits does not mean you have to recieve them if it doesn't work for you.

There are many outside veteran run organizations that can help too. They have all kinds of programs available usually at no cost and also help with applying to VAC programs for what you need. Many here can probably direct you to one that's close to you. Take that first step and apply I know everyone has there horror stories with VAC but you won't get any help or even know what pertains to your individual situation if you don't apply.

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 19 May 2018, 00:01

I`m so worried about it all ending badly, yes it would be nice to get better, but what has one done if the gain the earth and lose their soul.

Last edited by Artie Simm on Sat 26 May 2018, 18:01; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by BinRat Fri 18 May 2018, 22:30

Bruce72 wrote:Can somebody explain in plain English what the different numbers mean in the Quality of Life Rating. I've never fully understood how that part works.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/after-injury/disability-benefits/benefits-determined/table-of-disabilities/ch-02-2006

Introduction

This chapter is used to assess the effects of an entitled condition on a Member/Veteran/Client's QOL. Activities of Independent Living, Recreational and Community Activities, and Personal Relationships are all components considered in a QOL rating. One QOL rating is arrived at for each entitled condition or bracketed entitled conditions. The term "bracketed conditions" is defined as entitled conditions which affect the same body areas or result in a similar loss of function and cannot be separated for medical assessment purposes, that are grouped or "bracketed" together to arrive at one Medical Impairment rating.

The effects of an entitled condition may limit or prevent the fulfilment of a role in the above-noted QOL components that would be normal for a Member/Veteran/Client of the same age without a disability.

It must be emphasized that, when and where possible, the usual or accustomed activities that the Member/Veteran/Client was engaged in prior to the disability or worsening of the disability should be the major consideration in determining the QOL effects from the entitled condition or the bracketed entitled conditions. In addition, the inability to perform or to modify usual QOL activities must be directly due to the entitled condition and not other variables or characteristics such as non-entitled condition(s), lack of skill, motivation, choice, availability or access to recreational activities, employment, etc. The appropriate QOL level will be determined based on the provided information. In the absence of the QOL information, a Member/Veteran/Client will be awarded the minimum QOL level 1 rating in relation to the Medical Impairment rating.

Judgement is to be used by the decision maker as to the extent that the entitled condition contributed to the QOL effects versus other factors such as non-entitled condition(s), etc. The Partially Contributing Table should not be applied to the QOL rating as that table is specific to the calculation of Medical Impairment ratings only.

Each time there is a new entitlement award or a review of an assessment, at either the departmental or VRAB level, a QOL rating for each entitled condition or bracketed entitled conditions is added to the Medical Impairment rating to arrive at the Disability Assessment. It is the final Disability Assessment which would be the subject of a review or appeal.

BinRat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 271

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next