Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CPPD Help

+5
Teentitan
Newf
AirLog
propat
MikeCeeGB
9 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

CPPD Help - Page 3 Empty Re: CPPD Help

Post by AirLog Fri 12 Apr 2019, 22:59

Sleeping Dog, First off I am not sure how SISIP really works. You have been out of the service for awhile so how SISIP now fits into your particular situation I can't answer. Someone else on this site may be able to assist you or you can talk to VAC or your local Legion. You need to ask these questions to find the answers to your particular situation. As for Blue Cross, once VAC accepts responsibility for your illness and/or injury you are either an A or B plan member of for medical services that VAC will provide you with. VAC has contracted out medial services reimbursement to Medavie Blue Cross. They handle all of the medical expenses, travel, etc associated with your medical condition. As for me, I am an "A" plan member which essentially means VAC reimburses me for all medical expenses directly associated with my illness and no other medical expense. Talk to your Legion Rep or VAC about your specific needs.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2017-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Fri 12 Apr 2019, 22:53

Air Log your situation with LTD has nothing to do with MikeCeeGB's situation.

Yours is a PRIVATE LTD program that has different rules then what the veteran/military community rules are with SISIP LTD insurance. In your situation of being on CPPD you only have to contact the CF Pension to make sure you do not go into years of arrears. But after reading that your LTD with GWL is "tax free" then you should not have to pay them back 100% of what your CPPD amount is. Tax free payment basically means it does not exist. Taxes are due at the end of the month so did you get a T4A from GWL for your LTD? If you did then your LTD is not tax-free. Not getting a T4A means that your LTD does not exist. I highly suggest you do some research on this.

Yes balancing CPPD and paying back SISIP, ELB, CF Pension is tricky but your math is a little wonky. You forgot that CF Pension, CPPD, and SISIP will get together to "re-calculate" your monthly payments from CF Pension and SISIP, ELB etc. If the individual contacts all parties as soon as you are approved for CPPD then the amount of backpay from CPPD should cover the amount from each payer.

For example my back pay for CPPD was $18,000. After getting all the figures from CF Pension and SISIP I put a grand total of $112 in my bank! The purpose of CPPD is not to put the disabled individual into financial distress. The only financial pitfall facing the person is not informing the payers (VAC, CF Pension, SISIP).

Oh one other point Air Log. When you turn 65 you will not get more CPP payment. All that will happen is the 'D' (disability) will be dropped. I asked CPP about this and that is the answer I got. They explained the 'D' means you can draw your CPP before age 65 without breaking government rules.

The only way you get more money from CPP is if your yearly income is below the poverty line then you can apply for GIS (Guaranteed Income Supplement)

Sleeping Dog you are correct after you inform everyone about your CPPD approval then they will get you to sign paperwork that will allow each department to share information with each other to calculate what they 'should' have been paying you from your CPPD approval date. Then they will send you a letter telling you how much. WAIT for all the figures to come in before paying. If for some reason you do owe more then you can arrange a pay back plan with each of them.

Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Apr 2019, 22:33

AirLog wrote:Hi sleeping Dog, LTD is simply a Long Term Disability insurance (LTD) paid by whatever insurance company you were insured with. Veterans that were injured while still serving would be with SISIP (insurance company). I, like many others, retired and went on to work with a civilian company and paid into a private insurance policy for LTD (in my case GWL), hence, when I became ill my private insurance policy for LTD started to provide me with these needed funds.

AirLog
I hate being so out of the loop,but I was injured while serving, I think I had something to do with sisip when I first got out like paying for retraining, but I think that all ended at a 2 year mark. Do you mean I am always under sisip for the rest of my life? I mean I never get anything from them in the mail or anything, I thought the only other thing I had with them was a life insurance for my wife when I die. While were at it, are we also under some form of automatic blue cross? I mean I was under blue cross when I had a civi job years ago after leaving the army, but l lost that coverage when I lost that job. Like I know vets submit claims to vac for massages etc. I guess that's really blue cross though people say they are submitting it to vac?

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Fri 12 Apr 2019, 21:04

Hi sleeping Dog, LTD is simply a Long Term Disability insurance (LTD) paid by whatever insurance company you were insured with. Veterans that were injured while still serving would be with SISIP (insurance company). I, like many others, retired and went on to work with a civilian company and paid into a private insurance policy for LTD (in my case GWL), hence, when I became ill my private insurance policy for LTD started to provide me with these needed funds.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Apr 2019, 20:49

AirLog wrote:There is a big balancing act between your insurance company, military pension and VAC (EELB/IRB).

Your military pension statement will identify the "Bridge" amount that your military pension will be reduced by once you start to collect CPP/CPPD. In my case my bridge amount is $750/month reduction to my military pension when I start to collect CPP/CPPD. For example if I am approved CPPD for $1,000/month and it is back dated 10 months then I would receive $10,000 lump sum and $1,000 per month of CPPD going forward. Unfortunately, I will have to inform the military pension people of my CPPD status. If everything worked at warp speed then I would immediately have to pay back the military pension people $7,500 of back pay provided as CPPD lump sum payments (bridge portion of my military pension). In my particular case I would also have to give my LTD insurance company (GWL) 100% of my back pay of $10,000 and 100% of the $1,000 per month going forward.

The next part I am not 100% sure of and this is why I am hoping Bigrex or By the Bay join the conversation to help guide/advise us. Seeing how my military pension will be reduced by $750 per month then my EELB or rather IRB should increase by $750 per month (how does my CIA Supplement figure into this?), then be reduced by $1,000 per month for a net reduction of $250 per month. Much better to visualize on a spreadsheet than what I wrote here.

Overall I my net monthly amount will be less than what I am receiving now. Emphasis on my particular situation as my LTD is tax free so when all the aforementioned calculations are made I will have less net monthly pay after having been approved CPPD than before receiving CPPD. The only positive outcome of receiving CPPD, in my particular case, is that the period of time that I am collecting CPPD it is not used to calculate my CPP benefits once I turn 65. This will mean more CPP benefits at 65 if I collect CPPD until I am 65 as compared to what I would have received as CPP benefits if I didn't collect CPPD benefits until 65.

Hope this makes some sense.

AirLog
thanks, I see a lot of people here mentioning Sisip and Ltd, are these only things that apply to soldiers who have been out less than 2 years, ? My wife handles all our finances I don’t even know what’s coming in or going out, but I’ve been out a long time, I think I only collect a a disability/early release pension because I didn’t get to finish my 25years, and I also get a pa disability pension, and now ELB. I did send my CPPD letter to the mil pension people but I’m in the dark beyond that.

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Fri 12 Apr 2019, 20:35

There is a big balancing act between your insurance company, military pension and VAC (EELB/IRB).

Your military pension statement will identify the "Bridge" amount that your military pension will be reduced by once you start to collect CPP/CPPD. In my case my bridge amount is $750/month reduction to my military pension when I start to collect CPP/CPPD. For example if I am approved CPPD for $1,000/month and it is back dated 10 months then I would receive $10,000 lump sum and $1,000 per month of CPPD going forward. Unfortunately, I will have to inform the military pension people of my CPPD status. If everything worked at warp speed then I would immediately have to pay back the military pension people $7,500 of back pay provided as CPPD lump sum payments (bridge portion of my military pension). In my particular case I would also have to give my LTD insurance company (GWL) 100% of my back pay of $10,000 and 100% of the $1,000 per month going forward.

The next part I am not 100% sure of and this is why I am hoping Bigrex or By the Bay join the conversation to help guide/advise us. Seeing how my military pension will be reduced by $750 per month then my EELB or rather IRB should increase by $750 per month (how does my CIA Supplement figure into this?), then be reduced by $1,000 per month for a net reduction of $250 per month. Much better to visualize on a spreadsheet than what I wrote here.

Overall I my net monthly amount will be less than what I am receiving now. Emphasis on my particular situation as my LTD is tax free so when all the aforementioned calculations are made I will have less net monthly pay after having been approved CPPD than before receiving CPPD. The only positive outcome of receiving CPPD, in my particular case, is that the period of time that I am collecting CPPD it is not used to calculate my CPP benefits once I turn 65. This will mean more CPP benefits at 65 if I collect CPPD until I am 65 as compared to what I would have received as CPP benefits if I didn't collect CPPD benefits until 65.

Hope this makes some sense.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Apr 2019, 18:56

Teentitan wrote:Depends on your rank and how many years the individual contributed to CPP.  So sorry I don't want to even guess how much.

thanks, so after they do their calculations and then they just send you a letter saying “you owe us $10,000” or whatever the # is ..?

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Fri 12 Apr 2019, 13:55

Depends on your rank and how many years the individual contributed to CPP. So sorry I don't want to even guess how much.

Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Apr 2019, 13:43

Teentitan wrote:If an individual is going to be receiving CPPD it is the individual's responsibility to:

1.  Informing the CF Pension office that you are receiving CPPD and the date of approval.  Your CF Pension will be reduced and they will inform you how much you owe in back pay
2.  It is also the responsibility to inform VAC that you are in receipt of CPPD (information for your file at VAC only)
3.  It is the individuals responsibility to set the amount of taxes is taken off their CPPD monthly payment (rule of thumb 10% then adjust deduction after you do your yearly taxes)

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER:

Do NOT sign paperwork sent to you from SISIP that makes them the first payee!!

Wait until you get the amount you might owe CF Pension.

Get the amount you owe SISIP.

Any back pay from CPPD should cover what you will owe SISIP and CF Pension.  If it doesn't that is when you ask for a payback plan for both SISIP and CF Pension so you do not put yourself in a negative financial situation.  

SISIP will try to politely pressure you to sign the paperwork that they are the first payee so just say  "No, I want all the information on what I owe everyone before anyone gets paid".  It is legal and your right.

Now remember YOU have to call the CF Pension office as soon as you know you are approved for CPPD.  The CF Pension office does not get informed by CPP.  If you don't call CF Pension it could take up to 4/5 years for the Pension office to find out you are in receipt of CPPD.  Your debt to the CF Pension will be a financial nightmare if you owe CF Pension 4/5 years of back pay.

Hope this helps.

if you inform CF pension as soon as you are notified by CPPD that you qualify...how much money are we talking here in terms of “ paying back”

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeCeeGB Fri 12 Apr 2019, 13:13

This response below was exactly the type of information I was hoping to get. Thank you teentitan, you have been a big help!

MikeCeeGB
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2018-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv Fri 12 Apr 2019, 13:11

I made some of the mistakes mentioned here.
CF Pension: did not inform them (do not know why, but I did not) and now I am in the process of 'repaying them. ( not an issue, they were great arranging that).
Informed, signed papers for Sisip and they started 'offset that' from their pay (fine with me)
Informed VAC ... and those idiots started 'offset that' from their pay!!! took those morons a year to sort it (after my many letters and complaints).

So, be careful. Do not trust any of their numbers and verify everything.
That was my experience with that.

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Fri 12 Apr 2019, 13:03

If an individual is going to be receiving CPPD it is the individual's responsibility to:

1. Informing the CF Pension office that you are receiving CPPD and the date of approval. Your CF Pension will be reduced and they will inform you how much you owe in back pay
2. It is also the responsibility to inform VAC that you are in receipt of CPPD (information for your file at VAC only)
3. It is the individuals responsibility to set the amount of taxes is taken off their CPPD monthly payment (rule of thumb 10% then adjust deduction after you do your yearly taxes)

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER:

Do NOT sign paperwork sent to you from SISIP that makes them the first payee!!

Wait until you get the amount you might owe CF Pension.

Get the amount you owe SISIP.

Any back pay from CPPD should cover what you will owe SISIP and CF Pension. If it doesn't that is when you ask for a payback plan for both SISIP and CF Pension so you do not put yourself in a negative financial situation.

SISIP will try to politely pressure you to sign the paperwork that they are the first payee so just say "No, I want all the information on what I owe everyone before anyone gets paid". It is legal and your right.

Now remember YOU have to call the CF Pension office as soon as you know you are approved for CPPD. The CF Pension office does not get informed by CPP. If you don't call CF Pension it could take up to 4/5 years for the Pension office to find out you are in receipt of CPPD. Your debt to the CF Pension will be a financial nightmare if you owe CF Pension 4/5 years of back pay.

Hope this helps.

Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Fri 12 Apr 2019, 11:18

Hi Newf and welcome aboard to this CPPD application process. I have been on LTD with GWL since October 2016. In January 2019 they asked me to apply for CPPD. I filed my application with Service Canada on March 04, 2019. GWL indicated to me that they would submit all my medial information on file directly to Service Canada and therefore no need to have a medical report submitted my my doctor. In theory this is good as it should expedite the CPPD application process. As soon as I submitted my application, Service Canada called to say that the medical file from GWL was incomplete. Service Canada simply sent a letter to my family physician to answer specific questions in order to determine my eligibility (or not) for CPPD benefits. I am now awaiting for Service Canada to render a decision on my application. Should know soonest as they did indicate that they wanted to render a decision on my application as quickly as possible as my disability is based on cancer and the after effects. Hence, my need to know how best to manage GWL, EELB and my military pension as CPPD will have an effect all all of these income streams.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Newf Fri 12 Apr 2019, 10:58

Airlog/MikeCeeGB
I am following this thread as well because I am in similar boat. I just submitted my initial application for Great West Life LTD and awaiting a decision from GWL.

Does your insurance provider (Great West Life or SISIP) make you apply immediately upon approval of LTD benefits for CPPD or after your FIRST year of receiving LTD benefits?

I am curious on the proper process as well for repayments.

Looking forward to responses on this post.

Newf
Newf
Newf
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2014-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Fri 12 Apr 2019, 09:24

MikeCeeGB, I am in the same situation with Great-West Life. I have applied for CPPD and should find out soon on being accepted or not. I have the same concerns as you do. What is the best way to proceed. In my situation Great-West Life will receive the back payment from CPPD if accepted. I had to sign off on allowing CPPD to give the back payment directly to Great-West Life.

I believe that Bigrex did discuss this topic about six months ago but I haven't been able to find it. Bigrex if you can and remember this topic can you repost to this "topic trail?" Those of us in this boat want to ensure that we piece this puzzle together properly so that we maximize our benefits without undue financial hardship.

Thanks.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next