Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lump sum vs monthly payment

3 posters

Go down

Lump sum vs monthly payment  Empty Re: Lump sum vs monthly payment

Post by Teager Thu 19 Sep 2019, 08:47

Unknown soldier that is correct and as marmech said COLA gets added to it every year and it is for life until you die. If you died let's say 4 months into receiving the pension they would pay out what would have been the lump sum minus the 4 months of money you got to your NOK.

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by marmech Wed 18 Sep 2019, 18:54

don't forget to add COLA to year over year

marmech
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2018-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Sun 08 Sep 2019, 15:19

Teager wrote:Your pension for life is for life they do not divide up the lump sum amount over an X amount of time.

Rates can be found here:

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/resources/rates#psc
Okay I found a chart, so you’re telling me that if a veteran , regardless of age received a 5% disability, they would receive about $ 57.50 forever under the monthly payment program.?
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 608
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Sun 08 Sep 2019, 15:13

Your pension for life is for life they do not divide up the lump sum amount over an X amount of time.

Rates can be found here:

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/resources/rates#psc

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Lump sum vs monthly payment  Empty Lump sum vs monthly payment

Post by Unknown Soldier Sun 08 Sep 2019, 14:50

I thought I was getting a grip on this PFL thing, but l just read a post on another site that threw me for a loop. I was under the impression that any veteran with an injury that is granted in their favour has the option of either a monthly payment or a lump sum...but l thought that regardless of which you choose, once the monthly payment hit the amount of the lump sum the payment would just end. I.e. if a veteran was entitled to $120000 and he was 43 , he could ask for it all right now and eventually be given his $120000.however if he opted for monthly payments they would be stretched over however long it took that veteran to reach the age of 83. So by that theory,if a vet was 43 he had another 40 years to collect his disability payment. $120000 / 40 years = $3000 a year, or monthly payments of $250. But in the post I read it said those monthly payments actually continue til the day a veteran dies even if the veteran goes past the age of 83. So by taking the monthly payment if a veteran ended up living to 93, he would keep getting that $3000 a year for another decade, basically another $30000,. Is this how it works, .? I’m not really understanding the advantage in taking a monthly sum if a veteran is younger as some have suggested, if a vet was awarded $120000 and they were only 23 instead of 43, wouldn’t that just mean $120000/60 years, or $2000 a year, or $166.66 a month, in just means a lower monthly payment than the 43 year old, what am I missing.?
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 608
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down