Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pension Miscalculation/Error Class Action

+9
BinRat
LostTrucker
puddleduk2
sgtppcli95
Teentitan
T
Unknown Soldier
AirLog
Kramer
13 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Pension Miscalculation/Error Class Action - Page 6 Empty Re: Pension Miscalculation/Error Class Action

Post by Guest Tue 26 Jan 2021, 09:36

Yes this is the one. It not that VAC covered it up it was that the rules was based on base salary. Finally it took this soldier to query it. This other one here I am confused then as I was reimbursed for this 20 months ago. (COL error wasn't applied properly)

Back to top Go down

Pension Miscalculation/Error Class Action - Page 6 Empty Re: Pension Miscalculation/Error Class Action

Post by Kramer Tue 26 Jan 2021, 09:15

Chaud wrote:I am quite sure this class action is about individual who were paid extra monies ie: combat pay,flying pay,sea pay,etc etc that this additional amount wasn't included in the initial calculation. They just used the base pay.The law suit will correct that. Comments?

I believe the class action that you might be referring to, is in the link below. This Class Action that was just certified, stemmed from a VAC error that they tried to cover up. VAC sent out (and is still attempting to reach families/estates) corrective payments minus interest. This lawsuit is taking VAC to court for interest and damages for covering it up.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/judge-rules-against-ottawa-in-class-action-over-disability-payments-1.5509815

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 671
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Jan 2021, 08:30

I am quite sure this class action is about individual who were paid extra monies ie: combat pay,flying pay,sea pay,etc etc that this additional amount wasn't included in the initial calculation. They just used the base pay.The law suit will correct that. Comments?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Thu 21 Jan 2021, 11:44

Unknown Soldier.....

I agree.......if/when the time comes for settlement, determining which vets gets what/how much, I suspect will be an accounting nightmare (they are having to expend a fair bit of time just trying to contact the estate of those deceased..... little own this new lawsuit on top of it). The resources it will take to complete this could be overwhelming. Considering VAC needed to hire additional staff just for the backlog alone?...Then there is the Logan/SISIP Class Action, the CAF-DND Sexual Misconduct Class Action, and this calculation error ......possibly one from Sean Bruyea (hasn't been certified yet)....and I could be missing some others?
Just....WOW

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Wed 20 Jan 2021, 21:44

Riddick wrote:
AirLog wrote:Thanks for the link Riddick. Not sure if this class action will have an affect on my benefits or not but, I shall follow it and see where it leads. I have been on VAC benefits since 2016 (lump sum, IRB, CGRB, VIP, APSC, HRT claims, etc). Nothing under the Pension Act.

Airlog

AirLog, the "class" in this case can be much more significant than the original because (unless I am mistaken) the original "accounting error" was from 2002 - 2010.  This class action is from 2002 till "present" (which I don't quite get, as I thought the accounting issue was corrected in 2010, it was just kept hush, hush?).  I suspect those who have been a VAC client longer, should receive more (closer to 2002).  Additionally, those who are hybrids (clients who are under the PA and NVC/Well-being Act etc) could possibly benefit more as well?  But it will all come down to what the court decides....whenever that may be. rabbit

JMO (Just My Opinion)

Riddick
though this will probably benefit many vets, l bet getting paid will be a nightmare as they try and figure out who is entitled to what. I.e. I have received benefits under all 3 VAC tiers since 2004 to present. Some were pension some were lump sum, some are different that just a monthly disability amount. Good luck tracking down what I’m owed if anything. I don’t know how the payout will happen, but l wonder if it will be more like, all the veterans in the suit were wronged, this is the amount left over by the time the lawyers get paid, so the remainder would be divided by 50,000 or however many vets are in this claim.
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 609
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Tue 19 Jan 2021, 19:59

Here is the latest news article. Five class actions amalgamated into one.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/veterans-class-action-1.5877892
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Wed 13 Jan 2021, 20:34

Riddick, I agree with your observations. I also thought that the accounting error was put to rest. Not sure where the accounting errors are now but, if it means that our benefits will be corrected on the positive side then so be it. Too bad it takes a law suit to bring justice to veterans. Let's see where this leads. Thanks for posting this.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2017-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Wed 13 Jan 2021, 18:07

AirLog wrote:Thanks for the link Riddick. Not sure if this class action will have an affect on my benefits or not but, I shall follow it and see where it leads. I have been on VAC benefits since 2016 (lump sum, IRB, CGRB, VIP, APSC, HRT claims, etc). Nothing under the Pension Act.

Airlog

AirLog, the "class" in this case can be much more significant than the original because (unless I am mistaken) the original "accounting error" was from 2002 - 2010. This class action is from 2002 till "present" (which I don't quite get, as I thought the accounting issue was corrected in 2010, it was just kept hush, hush?). I suspect those who have been a VAC client longer, should receive more (closer to 2002). Additionally, those who are hybrids (clients who are under the PA and NVC/Well-being Act etc) could possibly benefit more as well? But it will all come down to what the court decides....whenever that may be. rabbit

JMO (Just My Opinion)

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Wed 13 Jan 2021, 16:48

Thanks for the link Riddick. Not sure if this class action will have an affect on my benefits or not but, I shall follow it and see where it leads. I have been on VAC benefits since 2016 (lump sum, IRB, CGRB, VIP, APSC, HRT claims, etc). Nothing under the Pension Act.

Airlog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2017-11-19

Back to top Go down

Pension Miscalculation/Error Class Action - Page 6 Empty Pension Miscalculation/Error Class Action

Post by Kramer Wed 13 Jan 2021, 14:12

So many names for this suit.....so if anyone has any questions or is confused....totally understandable.

It has now been certified.

https://kmlaw.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/T-119-19-Order.pdf

If this has been posted on this site and this is a duplicate.....pls advise.

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6