Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What exactly does your partner get/continue to get if you die?

+2
johnny211
Unknown Soldier
6 posters

Go down

What exactly does your partner get/continue to get if you die? Empty Re: What exactly does your partner get/continue to get if you die?

Post by Unknown Soldier Sat 27 Feb 2021, 14:24

johnny211 wrote:RCN- Retd, - I could be wrong here, but fm reading I think one has to be at least 48% under the old pre 2006 PA. Awarded % under the NVC or PFL, do not count towards this 48%. Someone want to chime in?
VVV...
so they actually divide up when a veterans injuries were awarded, i.e. what if a veteran was listed as 43% pre 2006 but new injuries have now been finally awarded so their whole % is 68%. If they die , is VAC going to say , “ sorry your pre 06 disability rating is/was only 43 not 48% so you wife will not get a continuing pension despite the veteran dying with a 68% disability total?
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 608
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

What exactly does your partner get/continue to get if you die? Empty Re: What exactly does your partner get/continue to get if you die?

Post by Chaud Thu 25 Feb 2021, 08:52

if you are awarded a PA pension 47 and below its 50% to the survivor
48% to 100% the survivor pension is fixed amount.
SDB at 70 yrs of age is 5000 bucks prior its reduced at 61 10% per year until 70. 2 yrs tax free income at time of release.
For additional info call VAC they will explain each one.
Be aware most benefits are reduced or lost under the new systems.

Chaud
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2021-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Thu 25 Feb 2021, 06:59

RCN- Retd, - I could be wrong here, but fm reading I think one has to be at least 48% under the old pre 2006 PA. Awarded % under the NVC or PFL, do not count towards this 48%. Someone want to chime in?
VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by RCN-Retired Thu 25 Feb 2021, 03:01

I have been told that should I die before my wife she will receive 100% of my annuity for one year and after that it will be reduced to 50%. Since I am deemed more then 48% disabled by VAC my wife will continue to collect my full pension including VIP. But sadly it seems the opposite is happening so would interested in hearing if there is traps and shit ahead of me that I need to get prepared for?
RCN-Retired
RCN-Retired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2012-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by T Wed 24 Feb 2021, 01:06

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/help/faq/toth-settlement#q8

I didn’t know how/where to post this... so since I’m a widow, I thought I would ask here.
My husband died in 2013 and had always told me he didn’t apply for veterans benefits because it would be deducted anyway.
I’ve seen over the years (always too late) that there was a court action or other, that might have applied to his case.
Can anyone tell me if (link) applies to his scenario?
He was disabled enough that he died from it, yet after ‘retirement’ he felt he couldn’t ask veterans affairs for anything because it would be deducted directly from his pension.
Can ANYONE fill me in on what this was all about?

Thanks,
Trish

T
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2018-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Mon 22 Feb 2021, 06:15

Memo - Tks for the reply. Johnny Out..
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo Sun 21 Feb 2021, 23:50

johnny211 wrote:Anyone have any idea if a spouse gets the SDB, we paid into in the CF?
Or does it diminish over the yrs.

If you continued to pay SDB premiums and your spouse is named as the beneficary with the pension office, then your spouse will get your SDB . However at age 61 it starts to be reduced by 10% per year. At age 70 you pay no more premiums but the benefit is reduced to $5000.
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Feb 2021, 16:26

Survivor receives old pension and military pension at 50% .
Gone means as a survivor it doesn't exist.
This how i see it.
Seems to me something to call VAC and ask.
Great question!

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Wed 10 Feb 2021, 16:20

Chaud wrote:my thoughts:
Survivor benefits
50% Military pension
50% up to 47% disability pension
for 48% -100%- Flat rate
CIA gone
DEC no idea
CIAS Gone
VIP if approved it continues  only Yard care and home care ( some can apply after death not guaranteed )
Attendance allowance -Gone
Additional P&S gone
Some of these allowances may continue for a short period of time.
When you say “ gone “, do you mean because it doesn’t exist anymore under the new PEnsion for life, or gone as in the spouse just doesn’t get it, because if you mean “ gone” simply because it doesn’t exist moving forward in the veteran benefit tiers, what about a vet who is for instance getting CIAS under the old system, does that $1000 a month or whatever it was die with the veteran or continue in some form to the spouse.
DEC is the main one I’m interested it, it’s connected to the disability of the veteran so I’m wondering if it just ends abruptly with the death of the veteran?
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Wed 10 Feb 2021, 15:17

Anyone have any idea if a spouse gets the SDB, we paid into in the CF?
Or does it diminish over the yrs.
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Feb 2021, 12:25

my thoughts:
Survivor benefits
50% Military pension
50% up to 47% disability pension
for 48% -100%- Flat rate
CIA gone
DEC no idea
CIAS Gone
VIP if approved it continues  only Yard care and home care ( some can apply after death not guaranteed )
Attendance allowance -Gone
Additional P&S gone
Some of these allowances may continue for a short period of time.

Back to top Go down

What exactly does your partner get/continue to get if you die? Empty What exactly does your partner get/continue to get if you die?

Post by Unknown Soldier Wed 10 Feb 2021, 11:48

There are many pensions,benefits,status out there some veterans get only 1 some get many but let's assume the veteran was entitled to the gambit,
A regular military pension
A disability pension
CIA
DEC
CIAS
VIP
Attendance Allowance
Additional/Pain and suffering
Etc. How much of this if any and in what form continues onto the veterans partner after death?
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down