Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CAF-LTD Class Action

2 posters

Go down

CAF-LTD Class Action Empty Re: CAF-LTD Class Action

Post by sgtppcli95 Sat 11 Mar 2023, 05:26

Thank you Kramer for your reply, I very much appreciate it. My apologies if I came across the wrong way with my last comment. I have read the documentation, I think, in my opinion the term allowances are specifically defined in regards to the decision. As I stated I have read “what this means” etc on the law firms site, but there is no clear answer in regards to “what allowances”. I think it said if you we’re receiving “allowances” on release” if that’s the case then in my opinion it would apply to those in front line units receiving Field pay Benefits, jump pay, Assaulter, and Spec pay. Thanks again for echoing a reply, it’s great to know someone cares.

sgtppcli95
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2023-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Thu 09 Mar 2023, 11:44

sgtppcli95 wrote:So it’s safe to say no body really knows.

Not sure why you say this? Of course people know!

As per my suggestion, did you contact counsel to get your answer? Or did you read all available documents/articles? If you say nobody knows, then I presume you contacted them and they gave you an answer indicating they didn't know. The class action is almost complete, it doesn't make much sense they wouldn't know who is in the class, and what years it encompasses or which allowances.

I have not been following it because I am not part of the class, nor is it my job to decipher it, although I have posted a number of articles when I come across it, believing it will help others/some.

If you haven't contacted counsel, well there is your reason why you didn't get the answer you are looking for.
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 671
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by sgtppcli95 Thu 09 Mar 2023, 00:31

So it’s safe to say no body really knows.

sgtppcli95
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Tue 07 Mar 2023, 16:01

sgtppcli95 wrote:So does this only affect CAF members with Spec pay? Or allowances for deployment? Field pay?

More info from VAC website

https://www.mcinnescooper.com/content/uploads/2023/02/Logan-v.-HMTK-Preliminary-Notice.pdf
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Tue 07 Mar 2023, 12:29

sgtppcli95 wrote:So does this only affect CAF members with Spec pay? Or allowances for deployment? Field pay?

From the link below, my understanding is....."monthly allowances." What the definition of monthly allowance(s), I do not know, but for those interested, one could contact McInnes Cooper
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sgtppcli95 Sun 05 Mar 2023, 17:23

So does this only affect CAF members with Spec pay? Or allowances for deployment? Field pay?

sgtppcli95
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

CAF-LTD Class Action Empty CAF-LTD Class Action

Post by Kramer Tue 07 Feb 2023, 08:51

HALIFAX, January 11, 2023 – A proposed agreement has been reached to resolve the miscalculation of Long Term Disability payments for members of the Class of disabled Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) veterans, announced today by Simon Logan, the Representative Plaintiff, and Daniel Wallace, Class Counsel.

On behalf of over 8,500 CAF veterans, Mr. Logan sued the Government of Canada alleging that the calculation of their long term disability benefits should have included their monthly allowances at the time of their release from the CAF for Regular Force members, and at time of injury or illness for Reserve Force members on class “C” service. The Federal Court ruled in Mr. Logan’s favour.

The estimated retroactive and future value with respect to long term disability benefits of the proposed agreement is up to $279 million. The proposed agreement provides that Class Members will receive a payment for the value of their long term disability miscalculation for the period of July 17, 2012 to December 31, 2021, minus applicable taxes. This payment will not retroactively impact Veterans Affairs Canada’s Earnings Loss Benefit or Income Replacement Benefit for that period. Class Members with an ongoing long term disability claim on January 1, 2022 will continue to receive an adjusted long term disability benefit as per the Court’s decision until the end of their claim."

Read the complete article in the attached link. Not sure if this has been posted previously....but this article is dated Jan 11th of this year and I don't recall seeing it?

https://www.mcinnescooper.com/news/proposed-settlement-in-class-action-regarding-the-calculation-of-canadian-armed-forces-long-term-disability-caf-ltd-insurance-benefits-for-disabled-canadian-armed-forces-veterans/
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down