Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Earnings Loss Benefits and the Clawback of VAC Disability Pensions

+5
pteadams2002
OldZipperhead
Brasidas
bigrex
Teentitan
9 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Earnings Loss Benefits and the Clawback of VAC Disability Pensions - Page 6 Empty Re: Earnings Loss Benefits and the Clawback of VAC Disability Pensions

Post by Guest Wed 08 Aug 2012, 16:10

Minister of Veterans Affa1rs

Ministre
des Anciens Combattants

Ottawa. Canada K1A OP4
Mr. Dennis Manuge
792 West Petpeswick Road Musquodoboit Harbour, Nova Scotia BOJ 2LO

Dear Mr. Manuge:&'fL-1. \
JUL 2 4 2012
Thank you for your correspondence regarding the recent Federal Court ruling in the case of Manuge
v. Canada.

On May 29, 2012, the Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister ofNational Defence, and I announced that
our Government will not appeal the Federal Court's decision regarding the offset of disability
benefits under the Pension Act from the Service Income Security Insurance Plan (SISIP).

In addition, we announced that our Government is taking immediate action to harmonize benefits at
Veterans Affairs Canada to reflect the planned changes to STSIP. Work has already begun to make
the necessary legislative amendments so that disability pension benefits will not be deducted
from the Earnings Loss Benefit, the Canadian Forces Income Support Benefit and the War Veterans
Allowance. Veterans Affairs Canada is also revising the information on its Web site (wwv
.veterans.gc.ca) to ensure that it reflects this recent announcement.

I believe this is a very positive change for Canadian Forces members and will help ensure that
they receive all the benefits and services to which they are entitled and so richly deserve. Our
Government will continue to stand up for our Veterans in the same way that they have stood up for
our great country.

Sincerely,
:ยท\
Steven Blaney, P.C.,
Canad

Back to top Go down

Earnings Loss Benefits and the Clawback of VAC Disability Pensions - Page 6 Empty Re: Earnings Loss Benefits and the Clawback of VAC Disability Pensions

Post by Guest Wed 08 Aug 2012, 15:34

i sure hope sisip ltd doesnt take that long to work out. You guys desearve retro for sure

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Aug 2012, 15:10

I got a call today from my area councillor. I was informed that any changes made to VAC's administration of ELB, WVA or CFIS won't take effect until it goes through the motions within parliament. Changes will probably take effect early 2013. No decision has been made about retroactive payments with interest etc. But they are forthcoming.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sat 21 Jul 2012, 11:34

I have been informed that information on ELB, WVA, CFIS will be released near the end of August. The Minister wants to be prepared for when the House resumes in September to go forward with changes to the above policies.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Jul 2012, 06:50

Hi Rex, I'm hoping that things move along quickly for us as well. I'm of the opinion that any changes made to SISIP and ELB should be concurrent and mirror each other. But, I don't think this will be the case. And I agree with you, if there was a motion needed in the HoC to end the ELB clawback Blaney would have announced this. I think its just a matter of VAC's bureaucracy needs to play catch up.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 11 Jul 2012, 00:20

I've been told that changing the policy being used by VAC has to be voted upon in the HoC, but i personally don't think that is required. If it did require a vote, then Blaneys announcement would have said they would introduce a motion to cease the clawback, not that it would be done, to indicate that it has to go through the political process. The way I'm looking at it, we'll be lucky to see any money before Winter.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Earnings Loss Benefits and the Clawback of VAC Disability Pensions - Page 6 Empty Earnings Loss Benefits and the Clawback of VAC Disability Pensions

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jul 2012, 17:46

I spoke with a person at VAC's call centre yesterday about vets receiving earnings loss benefits and a disability pension payment from VAC. The gentleman had no idea when we would see and end to the clawback. I then spoke to my area councillor about the issue, same thing, they have no idea when the clawback will cease, but it will I was assured soon. And all retroactive monies will be paid.

Does anyone else have any info or anything different to say on the issue?

My heartfelt thanks to Dennis Manuge. I really appreciate everything you have done for veterans.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum