Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

zero sum clients

4 posters

Go down

zero sum clients Empty Re: zero sum clients

Post by Nemo Tue 04 Sep 2012, 18:02

Yes, would be nice if they put 6 zero's behind our settlement but we know that won['t happen.

Military people were not served nor are they served today - as they should be. Look at our military pensions - clawed back when you get CPP. It is time to up the contribution levels for the military pension so that it is NOT tied into CPP at all.

And our disability in the past and currently is inadequate. My brother-in-law has long term disability as a civvie. He got cancer and now gets 75% of his wages - all TAX FREE. So his take home pay is the same amount he had when he worked. And yet the old LTD (don't know how it works today) gave you a max 2 % per year....and except for VAC - is all taxable.

And just like the indexation of a VAC pension and CF pension - it does NOT come any where close to inflation. And yet MP's get their lofty pensions indexed at 10% every year. So your pension would double in less than 10 years. wouldn't that be sweet! At the rate of indexation, I will be homeless in the future because at one point, my pensions might buy me a loaf of bread. The last years have seen index levels of around 2%. And we all know inflation is probably around 10% +.

Military personnel will NEVER be treated fairly. Become an MP instead....just venting........
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by OldZipperhead Tue 04 Sep 2012, 16:54

Considering what some veterans have lost over the years (homes, family, marriages, sanity and in some cases their life) the settlement for each individual veteran should be a number followed by six more zeros.

Just remembering the hell I went through in those first couple of years and the stress that I experienced not knowing where I was going to get the funds to support my family. I am amazed that I still have my marriage and family, because I know I put them through some of the same hell. My Wife and children are as much part of the class-action as I am! They should be considered, when the Lawyers and Judge finally decided on the amount of the settlement.
OldZipperhead
OldZipperhead
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2012-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:00

Thanks Big rex, i agree the system has alot of faults and i wish they would take the time to work out everything. As for sisip ltd i am glad i will be receiving monthly payments but i prefer to get it under ELB throu VAC. Even thou VAC has its problems its not an insurance company(so to speak). I dread having to deal with sisip ltd again but i need the funds. The last thing i want is someone in a halifax office giving me advice and pretending its their money they are giving me and i have to be so thankful to them. I just want to tell sisip , give me my money and leave me the f---- alone period. Heres your yearly medical which you make me pay for and thats it.
navrat out

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 04 Sep 2012, 09:19

Actually Navrat, SISIP only deducts 50% of employment while on LTD, as long as the money earned doesn't bring you up to the 100% of pre-release level. So if you earned $1500 a month, they would deduct $750 from your coverage. But those are the rules during the initial 24 months, so I'm not sure what level of employment is allowed if remaining on SISIP as TPI.

That was one of my biggest problems with the SISIP LTD plan even after the lawsuit. They deduct everything that is paid to you that in my opinion were not income, dollar for dollar, like PA pensions and CF pensions (which is partially your own money put aside over the course of a long career), but actual money earned from working is only deducted by half. So, to me, SISIP discriminated against not only those who were more severely disabled due to military service (pre-2006), but also those who served longer and therefor have bigger CF pensions. Because SISIP completely negats these pensions, most veterans with a family are more likely to be forced into the workforce to support themselves regardless of how disabled the Veteran may be, since SISIP LTD isn't increasing to match the rapidly growing cost of living in Canada. Honestly, the ones who received the most SISIP money were young kids who were injured after 2006 and within their first 10 years of service.So if two single Cpls were injured in Afghanistan, one in 2012 after serving 8 years could possibly get his full 75% from SISIP until age 65 ($3666/month at 2012 pay rates), a disability award (100%=$293308.00) AND a return of pension contributions, while the other Cpl was medically released in 2005 after serving 15 years. Using historical data, his LTD in 2012 should be roughly $3666 minus $1354 (30% CF pension), minus $2547 (100% single disability pension) equaling -$235. The second guy might make more plus CPP amounts per month overall, but as far as the LTD policy is concerned, he should have benefited equally from it, if not more so, since he had been paying into the plan longer
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo Tue 04 Sep 2012, 08:44

I guess I will just wait then. Sound like zero sum clients may be waiting till 2013 for funds.
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Sep 2012, 08:37

morning

i do agree they wish to avoid overpayment, but to this point and time, they have avoided paying anything.

only comment (i can recall reading) in regards to (them) requesting access to any our files was our Veterans Affairs files to speed up the process (which get passed too freely IMO),

nothing in print so far in regards to anyone requesting to access our CRA files,

even when i offered (SISIP) to give my info, it was disregarded as a trivial point and not needed for their processes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Sep 2012, 22:41

When i called the lady said Yes you are still a client and in the computer. This is important because for us zero sum clients we were never really kicked off sisip ltd just placed in a dormant file. This will be really easy to start but sisip ltd will ask permission from each individual for access to our CRA files because before they pay out a cent they have to make sure you did not have any employment income. They wish to avoid overpayment at all costs. Secondily , what was explained to me, was they want to know if you have any meanful employment because if you did this will disquaifly you from further payments. This means just say you are zero sum and after 24 months you were tpi but as zero sum you received nothing from sisip ltd monthly because of the clawback. Say because for what ever reason you had employment that was deemed by sisip ltd to be meanful employment this will disquafily you because you were able to obtain employment. Also an employment income is also clawbacked 100 percent. This is what is meant from the second memo concerning double recovery from employment sources. Anyone on CPP disability will be ok if they made under 3500 for the year in spordic employment, but as this will show on your tax return even this amount will be clawbacked. So if you released and were zero sum, declared tpi, obtained cpp disability and never work ed you are in the home stretch. Anything else will have to go to an arbrtraitor to decide. This is what was told to me, also i was told to sent in my direct deposit info to sisip ltd by sisip ltd.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Sep 2012, 20:57

evening

SISIP has our original processing information in regards to CPP(Disability), CF pensions, and the amount they subtracted for us zero sums for our Pension Act amount(s).. We gave them those permissions at the beginning of our claims (at release).

For myself they provided me a worksheet with all the calculations done in 2004 at the time of my release, including the paperwork certifying myself as TPI in 2006 qualifying for further zero sum coverage.

I asked this question a few weeks ago of my SISIP rep, if it would speed up any future processes if i provided my CRA returns for the last eight years (2004 to present), and the answer was "no" they are not required, and would have to wait for the settlement phase to finish.

SISIP knows who we are, and they already calculated (for myself) how much they owe for each year they subtracted, they just need the go ahead to start processing the archives.

For those already certified TPI members (like myself) and those that are included in the 24 month(s) and under group, they just need the funds and directions to start.

I did not ask for those that need proxy certification (unknown route at the time), because they were not previously certified as TPI, i do not have any knowledge of the length or processing time required to get it done.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Sep 2012, 20:46

I sent in my figures for the past 10 years from 2002 to 2012 , I am a ZERO SUM CLIENT from MAR . 14 , 2002 to include my 75% amt. starting as well indexing for the same period 2002 - 2012 , i broke it all down to show how much they owed me after subtracting my CF monthly gross & CPP with the pensioner portion only ,
from the 75 % plus i made a note to say , don't forget to ADD on the Interest & Damages , plus my exact Start up Monthly Check back dated to May .01 or July .01, whenever the Retro Starts & ends , & the monthly Picks up . , but its actually not that complicated , plus i sent a copy of my Summary Of Assessment from VAC showing 130% disability .

Richard Van Horne from Manulife in Halifax said thanks Dave , when i called to cfm. it had arrived , but , UNTIL JUDGE BARNES gives the ORDER to PROCEED , it's all just another file on the edge of his desk collecting dust . And " QUOTE " the longer this takes to go through all the Files , the better job security they have .

Back to top Go down

Post by snrnavcom Mon 03 Sep 2012, 19:54

I am waiting for direction myself, as there may not be a requirement for us to provide information at all. If the government shares our data between agencies it will be a much faster process then someone entering data by hand

snrnavcom
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2012-07-08

Back to top Go down

zero sum clients Empty zero sum clients

Post by Nemo Mon 03 Sep 2012, 19:24

I wonder if zero sum clients like myself who get VAC pension and CPP(D) should send SISIP tax slips for our CF pensions and CPP(D) so they will have on hand the info needed to give us our money quickly. Anyone going to do that? If u think it is a good idea, where would one send it to. I have long ago discarded their address that I used to send my yearly check ups to. Is this what is meant as the proxies that SISIP might look at to reinstate us?
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down