Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back in January-Merry Xmas

2 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Back in January-Merry Xmas - Page 2 Empty Re: Back in January-Merry Xmas

Post by Guest Tue 06 Nov 2012, 19:10

Yes, but how come when anyone mentions anything regarding damages the legal team goes quiet? I believe we deserve damages but have a bad feeling we won't get them. That's why the government brought in mr toope, they wanted a legal expert to advise them on how to squeeze the class and come out looking like saints.
Prediction
Retro
Per- post interest
Notional top up of interest for income ax owing
Legal fees deducted
Law firm asking for 20 percent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Nov 2012, 18:55

Exemplary Damages - Wonder what Sean Casey thinks?

Liberal veterans critic Sean Casey described the legal bill as an “obscene waste of taxpayers’ money.”

In abandoning the legal fight, the government appointed Stephen Toope, the president of the University of British Columbia, to lead negotiations with Manuge’s legal team to arrive at a settlement, including retroactive payments.

The settlement could run as high as $600-million, depending upon how many years back the federal compensation plan will go, say internal government estimates.

Casey said that given the amount of money at stake, he could see the government fighting it tooth and nail — if it had a strong case.

They had a weak case from the get-go and it was absolutely irresponsible
“The court didn’t see any merit; the court didn’t equivocate. The court slammed them,” he said.

“They had a weak case from the get-go and it was absolutely irresponsible. The responsible thing for them to do was not to force litigation, but to sit down when this problem reared its ugly head and come to a negotiated settlement.”

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Nov 2012, 17:33

lol i remember that rusty look up look way up.
propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Nov 2012, 17:26

I guess if you we not raised with the Friendly Giant on CBC that wouldn't be funny! Check it out on you tube ...then smile! Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Nov 2012, 17:21

Its Mister Razor to you Mr Pat..... and I will call Rusty! -where is Friendly?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Nov 2012, 17:11

rusty yes that is correct and i belive he will make the right decicion for us the class members.
propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Nov 2012, 17:05

Navrat stated-"The only powers that judge Barnes has is to either accept the settlement in whole or reject it in whole"-

Technically is that correct? ...

I would humbly suggest if he has that Veto power he has a huge --indirect--- impact on the final results. Every step of the way the federal court is advised on the progress of negotiations- Do not underestimate this courts ability to ensure fair,legal and just settlements.

Canadians have much to be proud of when it comes to our legal system. - Not perfect but damn good compared to our friends south of us-

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Nov 2012, 16:28

robbie i dont belive we will be able to take any further action at all after this deal is done.that is why i belive our questions to the judge will be verry important once this is done its done.lets get it right the first time there will be no second.
allways question athority
propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Nov 2012, 16:09

I am ok with what has happened, after all what can we do as a CA members. I for one do not want what the legal team has done go to waste I however wonder if there is a statute of limitations on the Class as a whole or can the damages be re-visited further down the road as individuals or as a collective group.

Back to top Go down

Post by peep Tue 06 Nov 2012, 15:23

Or maybe the judge goes to the bathroom during recess and gets shot. then he gets nothing. Rolling Eyes
peep
peep
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 844
Registration date : 2012-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 06 Nov 2012, 15:21

My only question for the judge to consider when reading the settlement, is " if he was injured on the job, if someone opened fired in his court room, and he could no longer sit as a judge, and the GoC treated him like we have been treated, would he accept whatever is in the settlement?" Sure, they'll argue that this never went to trial, but to me that is BS. Since this case was started, we have been in front of a judge or judges 4 times, over 5 years. Each time having to argue the facts of the case, and 3 of those 4 times, we have been unreservedly successful. So it's not like the Government was forthcoming with a settlement, it only happened when the judge made it very clear that the entire basis for the clawback was illegal, and their defense was laughable.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4064
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Nov 2012, 14:30

well navrat we will in december right after the judge sees it.i really hope its acceptable to the majority of the class so we could put this issue behind us.
allways question athority
propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Nov 2012, 14:01

Propat, no problems, I just believe these things are worked out before they officially are released to the class or media. Who knows, but we will see soon I hope

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Nov 2012, 13:38

well navrat i guess we will have to agree to disagree.i think it will be a good deal still and the fist question i will ask is. pleas sir can you accept this deal? but if its not it will be.pleas sir can you reject this deal.you may think that the judge thinks we dont count in our own lawsuit however i belive the judge belives we count more than anyone else.i also belive he really wants to read these letters and if 7000 say reject and he sees a good reason why he will reject.if he sees 7000 that say accept and he sees a good reason why he will accept.
just my oppinion
propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Nov 2012, 13:26

Propat, the judge I believe won't even review them because he has to accept the settlement because both the DOJ and the legal team have come to a settlement. Also he doesn't want to send the settlement back because it could end up in the courts for years . I hate to say it but I think we are stuck with whatever we get

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next