Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any thoughts or views on the class action settlement, it's done, goes before the judge on Monday, What do you want to see in it?

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Any thoughts or views on the class action settlement, it's done, goes before the judge on Monday, What do you want to see in it? Empty Re: Any thoughts or views on the class action settlement, it's done, goes before the judge on Monday, What do you want to see in it?

Post by Sapper Zodiak Sat 01 Dec 2012, 18:44

Due to the media blackout/ Gag order we wont know the time limits of this lawsuit until it is done. I hope they go back that far...how can they not? Some benefit but, sorry, youve been disabled too long so no money for you?

Sapper Zodiak
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 963
Registration date : 2012-11-12

Back to top Go down

Any thoughts or views on the class action settlement, it's done, goes before the judge on Monday, What do you want to see in it? Empty Re: Any thoughts or views on the class action settlement, it's done, goes before the judge on Monday, What do you want to see in it?

Post by Guest Sat 01 Dec 2012, 16:27

13 more sleepy bye bye-George Dumont is a certified funny guy! Thanks for that!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Zodiak Sat 01 Dec 2012, 12:51

Well...it's pucker time. I hope the deal is fair and covers all the boys and girls who deserve it. I have been clawed back since mid 1991. I have two kids in post-secondary education, a reasonable amount of debt and I hope this will turn the tide in my favour. Although I can't get my health back, I do hope the deal returns what is rightfully owed to me. In 1986 when I joined the army, we paid a lot of premiums, for something that was never fully explained. Sat in a circle in our H hut and signed papers. I am glad this will finally be over soon. Then we can stand down.
Chimo

Sapper Zodiak
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Dec 2012, 11:03

the last few yards are always the worst, on mission or In life those few last yards are hell. We have all been there one way or anothere. Stand your groud and wait it out, hopefully we will the answer fast enought 13 sleepy bye,bye to go. I do admit it is harder that all other calenders I've make up in my life. Dig in hope for the best and stay alurte, sometime info slips throught the holes, wait for them!!!
Good luck to all

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Dec 2012, 10:23

Do you not live in a Territory, just asking lol. Either way lets just get it done. Like I always say cry now pray later.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Dec 2012, 09:40

So don't worry about them releasing info early they will not and please do not expect dream settlements.Get back to working on your health and happiness this battle is over and we will need our strength to support the next challenge.
I believe the truest test of character is when you help others fight battles without any benefit to yourself.

God bless the United Provinces of Canada! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Dec 2012, 09:19

What I was told initially if you are owed say 100000 in retro, then they will add pre and post interest on to that, then the notional top up of income tax Interest owed, add that all together and you get your total, then they will deduct 20 percent legal fees , that's the big rumour circulating , the law firm wants twenty percent plus court costs, then they will deduct income tax just like the monthly cheque, you will come out with around 60 percent of the who,e deal cash in pocket, so say you are owed 10000 you will clear close to that, with interest being eaten up by legal and income tax, so Zula is pretty close

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Dec 2012, 08:30

Peter law firm will get "20%" plus disbursements ...No more to be said! Judge Barnes will likely agree and guess what I agree too!....I also know the entire cost to the government will be around 250-300 million not 600 million.
We will pay Taxes. Legal fees will be tax deductible.
In my personal situation I will see of the $10000 owed, about $10000 in my account after all is said and done.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Dec 2012, 07:37

I do not buy those numbers nav my man, like my buddy Sapper Zodiak says, that is no where near acceptable in any court or any fair agreement. I can not forecast receiving a COLA adjustments only to pay back more than the actual COLA in taxes. I see no "gross up" or any other form of monetary entitlement in your assessment. I also know that the law firm will not receive 30% of the Class Action" settlement and if I know Peter he will ask for his costs and a "fairly reasonable settlement" I say 12 to 15 %, after all he took this C.A. to a place in Canadian History. I would place my bet that the firm has asked the GOC to consider (not including the gross up) a "Tax Compensation, Reduction or a form of Exemption" for the class members and not a go forward proposal as suggested previously. Like I said prior this is by no means a get rich fix, in fact it may just be a flat out get even fix.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Dec 2012, 06:52

Hey navrat, just to let you know you may have "Lost your ELB" but it was never intended to be a huge lump sum for guys like you and me anyhow. As we both have received more than our 75% of our gross pay upon release for the initial 2 year period and beyond. How ever the EELB will not be taken away but will become a TAXED RRSP replacement program due to the fact that guys like you and I can not contribute to an RRSP. Even though it is only 2 percent per year of your individual VAC entitlement until 65 or 67 who knows it is still better than a kick in the cahonies. Now guys that participated and completed the VocRehab are the ones that technically should qualify for ELB. They should receive a retroactive lump sum from VAC after SISIP puts out the largest chunk of money laundered collecting interest retroactive money and don't forget the BILL that was passed back a bit that entitles every soldier who is medically released will receive a minimum of 40,000 per year for the first 2 years. There are many reasons why know one has payed or been payed anything yet and the reasons still will be "clear as mud" when they do. I do know as well you fellas that all parties concerned, policy holders, payers, payees and the legal side have a lot to sign seal and deliver so we the mushrooms can crawl under that mildew soaked screen and go forth and spend like vermin, know that's what I'm talking about, Jack.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Dec 2012, 00:22

Hey Navrat,

I am looking at your math and that it tells me if I am correct that we will receive 84% of retro after taxes and legal fees are deducted. I think that is alright because if you look at what we would have walked away with originally then it would have been around the 70-75% mark after taxes.

Not that it is ideal, but not bad.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 30 Nov 2012, 23:52

Your possibly right, but I personally don't think the legal fees will be that high. The Hep C class action involved several different law firms from all across the country, and the Settlement was for 1.6 Billion, yet those legal fees were awarded at 3.5$. I think Justice Barnes will agree that the lawyers need to be paid,and possibly would assign a higher percentage if the Government was picking up the tab, but I think that he could see setting legal fees at 20%, as adding insult to injury, especially if there are no damages paid for pain and suffering caused by the clawback in the settlement. The time has past to defer seeing the judge, so the settlement proposal is set in stone, so there should be no reason that we should be kept in the dark as to what is included for another minute. Nothing we, the lawyers or the Government can say will change what the Judge will see on Monday, so why wait until Monday, or worse yet, the 14th, to release the package
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Zodiak Fri 30 Nov 2012, 23:40

The package had better be better than that. 60% of what is legally owed is criminal...

Sapper Zodiak
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Nov 2012, 23:25

This is what my cm said at sisip, they call us zero sum, the easy ones. But sisip goes by it's own rules, now two guys at my legion who got non prejudice payments have been deemed not eligible , so there payments stop and the two payments they got will be recovered from there retro, if any is payed. Sisip right now is not using any proxies , they are deciding who qualifies based on their polices. But they are in contact with Vac because I got booted from EElb. I think it's time for this GAG order to stop and for the veterans to get a look a t an agreement that is supposed to represent them, given the holiday season, I would think it would only be reasonable to get a look earlier. I have been told by a very good source that after all s said and done, we will get 60 percent of what was owed to us in are pocket. That means after retro and pre post interest is added, then subtract legal fees and income tax you will clear 60 percent, example retro 50000, interest 20000, equals 70000, after taxes and legal fees you will clear 42000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next