Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Judge lauds lawyers who worked for veterans in $887m class action

+6
peep
meteck
Teentitan
bigrex
Sapper Zodiak
dennismanuge
10 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Judge lauds lawyers who worked for veterans in $887m class action Empty Re: Judge lauds lawyers who worked for veterans in $887m class action

Post by Guest Mon 08 Apr 2013, 20:45

When is Mcinnis Cooper sending out this memo , and where's is our money.

Back to top Go down

Judge lauds lawyers who worked for veterans in $887m class action Empty Re: Judge lauds lawyers who worked for veterans in $887m class action

Post by Guest Mon 08 Apr 2013, 19:24

My fees would have been approx. 27,000 but will now be approx 14,400 so I am happier than initially. Still feel GOC should have paid all fees but it was out of our control. I also think MC is very happy and their amount of 8% is probably what they figured they would end up with as i am sure they studied case law in these class situations and produced a scale of possibilities. They just needed to ask for the high end as a starting point and hope for the best. Guarantee you MC did not cry on each other's shoulders in the boardroom when final decision released.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Apr 2013, 18:36

teen send them a letter? yes .with a thank you.NO!!!!had to step back for a bit so i could respond in the shortest least offencive way.after running this to the suppream court on procedure i will not thank them for not appealing just becouse they new an appeal would likely be in front of the suppeam court and in the press right arround the next ellection and for no other reason.would i ever send them a thank you???let me count the ways.

1.if they sent a notice to the CRA to not charge deemed tax to us saving the vets hardest hit by this clawback up to 20% of their retro.

2.if they payed leagal saving us all over 8%.

3.if they were issue an official apoligy.

4.if they were to iliminate the buyout in the NVC and go back to the monthly pention.for that they would even get my vote.

5.if they were both to take a flying frack off the CN tower.

the list does go on but im sure you get the point.this is about as short and polite as i could possibly wright this.

allways question athority

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by kozi4 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 17:19

Will do this evening. Great idea.

kozi4
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2013-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Apr 2013, 16:05

Consider it done Teen ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Mon 08 Apr 2013, 14:01

Well it wouldn't hurt if the CSAT community sent a thank you to the PM and Minister MacKay for not appealing a 36 year old illegal policy and asking if they would seriously consider paying the legal bills.

Highlight para 42 and how the most seriously disabled are paying the largest portion of legal fees and that every dollar in your pocket helps you and family in the future.

You can email to pm@pm.gc.ca ; peter.mackay@parl.gc.ca

A form email is not as effective as an email written by yourself as each of us all have a different future and family.

Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Apr 2013, 13:28

thank you teen---how dennis has completely lost perspective as to who is suffering &who has to pay---at least the judge understood the difference between the most disabled for the longest time who pay the most &certain individuals who need a reality check

ltd4me,expara,sparrow,bigrex--i agree completely---govt should have paid since they admit they deliberately sent it back to court to get courts interpretation---sounds like they should pay for this service by paying our fees

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Apr 2013, 22:03

So true bigrex ~

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 07 Apr 2013, 22:00

I agree LTD. During the G8/G20 summits, Harper spent over a billion to show off Canada, and most of the stuff was never even seen by a single foreign national. Hell, just money they spent on Security for the weekend dwarfs our entire settlement including the maximum of future payments, let alone our legal fees, costing over $930 million for 3 days. If Harper wants to show off what Canada is about, nothing says more about a country than how they treat their disabled Veterans.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Apr 2013, 21:48

How quickly do you guys think the first checks will be going out?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Apr 2013, 21:37

Teen.....we are both in the same boat and I concur with your statement, but even in my glory with only having to pay mc half of what they wanted, I still find it a hard pill to swallow, that MC is still getting money that should be in our pockets, GOC should have stepped up and paid.... Period.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sun 07 Apr 2013, 20:17

Well Will's and Baumer I know I am truly happy about the legal fees. This para from his decision describes me, one of the seriously injured...

[42] For someone like Mr. Manuge whose claim to retroactive LTD benefits is estimated at less
than $10,000.00, the deduction of legal fees of about $1,500.00 could not be considered to be unfair
or unreasonable. However, for a CF veteran suffering from a major, work-limiting disability, the
deduction of more than $37,000.00 from an award of $250,000.00 will result in a meaningful
financial deprivation. In short, those who are arguably the most in need of their retroactive
recoveries are the ones carrying most of the burden of legal costs. This is a factor that supports a
reduction in the award of costs to class counsel.

So Dennis can be upset all he wants about the fees to us that are paying the most, half of what the law firm was asking for is now back in our pockets. So this is why I'm happy.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by peep Sun 07 Apr 2013, 19:13

peep
peep
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 843
Registration date : 2012-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Apr 2013, 19:08

bullseye wills ridge---cant think of a better acid test of where loyalties lie---gosh i cant imagine being happier that 7500 veterans suffer more so that a few lawyers receive excessive compensation. as father phil would probably say---the truth will set you free---and heck if you guys arent speaking lots of truth

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Apr 2013, 18:41

I have never said ANYTHING negative about Dennis but I now get the feeling he is not happy that I will be paying LESS legal fees with the judge's ruling of 8% of retro? I believe he would be happier if we all actually paid 30%??? Strange i have not seen anything from him speaking positively about the judge's FAIR decision regarding fees? I know where my loyalties lay, does he??

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next