Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Are We Expected to 'Review the Agreement and Let Our Thoughts Be Known' Before the 14th of February...

+2
Sapper Zodiak
dennismanuge
6 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

How Are We Expected to 'Review the Agreement and Let Our Thoughts Be Known' Before the 14th of February... Empty Re: How Are We Expected to 'Review the Agreement and Let Our Thoughts Be Known' Before the 14th of February...

Post by Guest Tue 22 Jan 2013, 21:52

actually rags i think when the judge handed down his ruling and we won he was saying it was illegal so if they didnt know before they now know it was illegal.maybe they cant face criminal charges for what they did in the past but profiting in the future from their past illegal activities is a whole different kettle of fish.as for the leagal fees i think the GOC should pay for these but leagally speaking i dont see a way forward with this but i would be willing to listen to anny sudjestions presented.

propat

Back to top Go down

How Are We Expected to 'Review the Agreement and Let Our Thoughts Be Known' Before the 14th of February... Empty Re: How Are We Expected to 'Review the Agreement and Let Our Thoughts Be Known' Before the 14th of February...

Post by Rags Tue 22 Jan 2013, 21:42

Im with ya Propat on the lawyers getting paid they contracted for it they should get paid. The key is who should pay the lawyers. I think we have a chance to argue that. It is a given there getting paid and 17 is not too bad so lets focus on the issue of WHO SHOULD PAY THEM. The judge can address this very easily, it is within his perview. On the Tax issue I agree we should not pay a penalty we should pay our fair share just not a penalty. Minister of RC can wave the penalty and I suggest he will not apply a penalty. Interest is an interesting issue. If we get interest on our back dated money then RC should also, thats just fair. After all these are employment earnings wages. On the illegal activity>>>>well you cant profit from it in Canada thats the law>>>>try and prove this failure to pay us was illegal and that makes the water muddy. Did the GOV, MAnuLife, SISIP, MND and CDS know this was wrong? YUP question is when did they know? Did they take action to try and fix it and when? The battle will rage on even after we get paid back because we want blood>>>>>its in our nature we are soldiers.

Last edited by Rags on Tue 22 Jan 2013, 22:05; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : 3 typos)

Rags
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Jan 2013, 21:20

rags actually the lawers normally get what the judge says they get.yup with small settlements it hits 30% with the largest settlements against the GOC the range is anywhere from 5-20% but either way im ok with that it seems fair.should the goc pay leagal?sure.can we do something about that?i dont know.is paying tax penelties fair?hell no.can we do something about that?maybe we can as i dont think anyone should be abe to profit from illegal activities.

my question is are you allowed to profit from illegal activities in canada?

if so will the GOC be committing a crime by charging us tax penelties?

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rags Tue 22 Jan 2013, 21:06

I will be attending for sure. Remember the Lawyers normally get 30% dont be upset with them getting 17. Be upset the GOV does not make the insurance side pay for us having to fight this. Focus on the reality of who should pay not who is getting paid. One voice will helps better then confusion all over.

Rags
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Jan 2013, 22:58

Georges be sure to smile for the cameras! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Jan 2013, 22:56

I would love to goto that hearing also but can't so go give them hell Georges Dumont!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Jan 2013, 22:52

MaggieinNB, I decided today to go to the hering and that is the one point I will recommend or ask for.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaggieinNB Thu 17 Jan 2013, 22:49

Unfortunately, it seems to be the case with vets that got out in the last 4 or 5 years are going to be in the position of having to pay some fees out of their retro payments. The lower interest rate for 09 to 11 combined with the lesser years of interest makes a big difference. The law firm only claimed that the total interest being paid was more than the total fees being charged, but it doesn't work out that way for every vet.

If it is any consolation, you will probably pay less taxes on the money, because if you go back and claim the money in the years earned there will be much less "deemed taxes" added... the farther back you go the higher the percentage of extra taxes charged.

I would love to see the judge lower the fees enough to cover even more vets fees out of their interest.

MaggieinNB
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2012-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Jan 2013, 21:37

I would like to see the agreement so I could figure things out. At the moment I add up all the interest for the last 34 months and get approx $8400 but I have to pay approx $12000 in fees. The interest gained only covers about 70% of the legal fees. If the Judge were to bring down the legal fees to 11 to 12% then I and those in my shoes would break even.

Was this deal not supposed to come out that the interest would equal the lawyer fees? If we were to see our individual worksheets from this agreement I could verify if I had to pay an extra $4000 out of pocket or that I did not.

The two examples that the law firm put on leavenovetsbehind did not break down how they figured out their results. The examples just gave a total of interest and not how they figured the interest on each year. This definately was not helpfull. So if any of you Vets out there who have a couple few years in retro oweing and have figured that they don't have to pay legal fees I would like to know how you came to those results.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Jan 2013, 16:36

nefie it is a great site isnt it ive lerned a lot here it seems moast people know something i didnt.its a great place to lern things about this suit.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Jan 2013, 16:21

Welcome and this site has been my go to source for all things Sisip. Very Happy

sparrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Newfie Thu 17 Jan 2013, 16:19

I do Sparrow. Wife of a Veteran asked how long waiting so I threw in that little tad of info. Thanks, I am so grateful for this site

Newfie
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2013-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Jan 2013, 16:04

Newfie, you understand that you will be given all that money you were required to send to Sisip previously, returned all back again to you. This is a certainty.

Sparrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Newfie Thu 17 Jan 2013, 15:53

went on LTD April 2005, won an appeal with VAC was back dated three years and awarded pension plus $44,000 back pay which SISIP quickly snatched.

Newfie
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2013-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next