Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHY are the ZERO SUMS PAYING THE MOST LEGAL FEES AND TAXES!

+5
RCN-Retired
peep
bigrex
Rags
MaggieinNB
9 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

WHY are the ZERO SUMS PAYING THE MOST LEGAL FEES AND TAXES! - Page 3 Empty Re: WHY are the ZERO SUMS PAYING THE MOST LEGAL FEES AND TAXES!

Post by peep Sat 16 Feb 2013, 12:30

Make a poll, 5 years, 10 years, 15 years 20 years
peep
peep
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 843
Registration date : 2012-09-13

Back to top Go down

WHY are the ZERO SUMS PAYING THE MOST LEGAL FEES AND TAXES! - Page 3 Empty Re: WHY are the ZERO SUMS PAYING THE MOST LEGAL FEES AND TAXES!

Post by Guest Sat 16 Feb 2013, 12:28

22 years until 65

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 16 Feb 2013, 12:25

Since we are paying for $450000000 in future money, it would be nice to know exactly how they came up with that number. The lawyers said that there are only 1000 zero sum members that are eligible for reinstatement, add that to the members who were not zero sum but still getting SISIP until 65. There will likely be very few future members of the class, if any, because I highly doubt anyone with a disability severe enough to be medically released, let alone deemed totally disabled, would have been collecting a PA pension for 7 years before being released. The lawyers also said that there are less than 200 of those members who's future payments equal 75% or more of their benefit. So that means that the majority of zero sum members have more years in retro than they will get in the future. So I have to ask, where is all this money going?

So here is a question. Of the members on here. How many years of future payments are you entitled to?If the lawyers won't tell the info we want, maybe we can try yo figure it out ourselves.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Feb 2013, 11:53

Too true, Chief, ask sisip what happens if you don't apply? They cut you off!

Back to top Go down

Post by RCN-Retired Sat 16 Feb 2013, 11:47

I was called by a SISIP CM yesterday who informed me that I have been approved for going forward but they want me to apply for CPPD. I was denied CPPD about 10 years ago but they have stated they want me to reapply. So if I am approved this time, why would I be expected to pay legal fees on my going forward money when there is a chance very little will be collected from SISIP? The deal was the clawback funds and thus the fees should be structured that way, as paying legal fees on future funds with many variables, death, CPP, employment etc. is certainly not the clear way. In my view the lawsuit total should have remained at the retro $430 million, as the future potential $450 million is just that "potential" and therefore will most likely never all be paid out. MC has confused the issue by counting the full $888 million (much of which is potential funds) and their 7.5% of the total making it I believe in their view palatable to the judge, public and veteran. But hey the sun is out, the sky is blue and life goes on.
RCN-Retired
RCN-Retired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2012-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Rags Sat 16 Feb 2013, 11:23

All this is a direct result of the the class not being part of the action since it was certified. That was a direct play out of the legal side to ensure they got the best deal "they" could get without getting us involved who are actually the subject matter experts in the deal and its impacts.
I dont blame them that is how they decided to play the game for the best result from their perspective.
I blame us for not getting our shit together earlier and refusing to accept representation from a few people who dont understand the whole picture but just their own in this large class action.

Rags
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Feb 2013, 11:07

I just wish the legal fees were 7.5 percent like I keep hearing, but we know from the court papers it's 17.5 , so really what is the true rate. I don't mine paying a fair share just tell me the correct rate.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 16 Feb 2013, 11:03

I agree CoD, Class actions do not always work fairly when you have people who have been affected by vastly different amounts and sub classes would have been a better solution. This way 24 month guys could pay 7.5% of retro, the long term retro pay 5% if the retro equals more than 60% of total earned and the class members who will benefit from longer future payments (retro = < 40% of total award) pay 10%. Then those who years of retro and future payment are withing the 40-60% mark would pay the same as the 24 month guys. This way, the law firm still get their money, but it doesn't overly penalize those with longer retros.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Feb 2013, 10:14

Long retros, are getting screwed in this deal, from legal fees, to tax problems
MC knew who was the Cash Cows, knew that they could use and abuse us in this case, because they only needed to please the majority, to get the proposal done.
Knew that the Judge would most likely side, on what was best for the class.
Knew that the majority, would support the proposal.

Thats a problem with class actions that go to Negotiations, and not to Trial.

This case may be of Interest to future Class actions that will show "Certain Sub classes" , when sent to Negotiations, CAN be marginalized. and left behind, just to satisfy the Majority, and the Judge. And most importantly, Money in the pockets of the lawyers. This is a clear case of how to manipulate the System.

Just my view.

Its hard to get a complete view, when you have been left in the Dark, with gag orders, and such. Also, not having a long retro member, as part of the negotiations, puts us out of the picture.This may have been possible as someone said here , that after the class was certified, additional members of the class could have sat in on the negotiations, to assist Dennis. This may have, changed the outcome of the proposal, making it more fair to Long retroactives, in the class.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 16:37

If we had any rights as a member of the Class Action to have a say in this case then should MC not have sent us a letter stating this fact?

From what I gather the only thing we could have done is to send a letter to MC just so it could be vetted before it could be read in court tomorrow. Or they would just reject it outright.

Zero Sums, as usual, have no say in any of this and will most likely get boned again. The only real good thing about being a zero sum is that it is possible to continue getting LTD from SISIP until age 65.

BUT SISIP will force you to get on CPPD in which SISIP deduct its financial responsibility dollar for dollar, (its called a clawback folks), and will no longer have to pay any LTD. The financial burden will be passed on to ALL the people of Canada and SISIP gets another free ride on the backs of others, does not have to pay a single dime, and all that going forward money that is promised will just be pure profit to the shareholders of SISIP. SISIP transfers its financial obligations to the Veterans directly to the Canadian Taxpayers. This is a WIN for SISIP and a loss for Canadians.

So the question is where is all that going forward money going to end up? In the shareholders of SISIP or back into the GOC coffers? Because it is not going to the Veterans!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 15:59

Did we ever really have an input? Afraid not my comrade in arms, it's a show trial, don't be fooled

Back to top Go down

Post by peep Wed 13 Feb 2013, 15:49

Good analogy, but!!!!!!!
this is not a fatalistic Government, as you had in the military.

This is a democracy now that we are civilians again in Canada. Try telling civi's what to do with out interface and you will have an overthrow or worse a revolution.
peep
peep
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 843
Registration date : 2012-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 15:45

War was lost!Apparantly we won.Just Dont wanna leave any Vets Behind, So we will have a say tommorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 15:42

This is no different than seeing your CM back in the service. They already knew where you were to be posted but let you fill out those silly forms and made you think you had input. We have no input, the judge will say yes or no, nothing else and decide on legal fees, teen is right! There are thousands of people supporting this deal, legal knows this. I commend you guys for trying but this war was lost a long time ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 14:56

Our only hope right now is that Judge Barnes see's through all the smoke and treats everyone in the class the same.

For all to be the same it should be clearly stated by the Judge that;

1. "Everyone" will pay a Maximum of 7.5% on retro money that the lawfirm got for us.

2. No "possible future monies" will be considered in the legal fees.

3. "No One" will be asked to pay legal fee's on the 10M Scholarship fund.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next