Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ex-wife after SISIP Disability Insurance

Go down

Ex-wife after SISIP Disability Insurance Empty Re: Ex-wife after SISIP Disability Insurance

Post by Guest Tue 28 Jan 2014, 15:05

EX, in your post you asked if anyone else is going through the same thing, I did not go through that, however some here have expressed concerns on that very subject, unfortunately I cannot find any post that concludes their results.

You stated that you have a Lawyer looking into it for you, the only advice that I can give you is take caution with respect to how far you want the Lawyer to go into it for you, reason being is that Lawyers will go back and forth to profit from both of you.

I am going to guess that this will involve Family court, if you feel that you paid your share of child and or spousal support for those years paid to you by Manulife, and feel that your ex does not deserve any of it, there maybe other ways to fight it, without paying thousands of dollars to a Lawyer.

I would contact Family services in your area, and ask them how to go about representing yourself, and ask them if they have a number to call for guidance and support.

This is just what I would do in your situation, however if you don't mind paying the Lawyer fees to fight it, by all means go for it.

Best of luck to you, and hopefully someone who has gone through that ordeal, and or is in the process of going through it, will try to shed some light for you.

Back to top Go down

Ex-wife after SISIP Disability Insurance Empty Re: Ex-wife after SISIP Disability Insurance

Post by Guest Tue 28 Jan 2014, 09:26

I hear about this stuff all the time, your not alone, but my advice is to try and cut a deal with her. If she goes the court route you both lose because of legal fees also since this is past income any judgement against you would result in a increase for spousal support for those years. So if she wants fifty percent the amount she would receive would be taxable to her because support payments are considered income, secondly the amount you pay is tax deductible for you, example if you give her 50000 she has to add it to her income for the year while you will a 50000 tax deduction. Do both of you a favor , you know you will have to pay, arrange a meeting without lawyers and come to an agreement, cut her a cheque because when she wins she will have to pay legal fees plus income tax, you I am afraid will have to pay legal fees it will burn thru everything. Clear heads, keep calm, keep the lawyers far away and both of you will come out ahead. Just my advice

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 28 Jan 2014, 06:33

Unfortunately, the courts usually lean in favor of the woman in most cases. That means the she could get up to 50% of any retro pay owed for while you were married. And if reinstated, she could request a recalculation of spousal and child support based on your new income. On a brighter side, any money you pay her can be deducted from your taxes.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Ex-wife after SISIP Disability Insurance Empty Ex-wife after SISIP Disability Insurance

Post by Guest Tue 28 Jan 2014, 00:07

I don't want to cause waves with others still fighting for their claims.
I am very fortunate and grateful to have received my payout for the SISIP clawback.
Unfortunately my Ex-wife is taking me to court for a bite of my disability insurance. Nice eh....

I have a lawyer looking into my specifics.
I am wondering if anyone else is going through the same thing.
If so, how did it turn out for you? Do you have any advice?
TY and good luck to all who are working through these difficult circumstances.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down