Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wondering

+4
Rifleman
bigrex
Mike77
RCN-Retired
8 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Wondering - Page 3 Empty Re: Wondering

Post by Guest Mon 14 Apr 2014, 13:47

pinger wrote:Crackers, tx for the heads up on dtc, coulda swore it was as difficult as cppd. That being said, everyones sit is different though so I'm gonna do some more homework and get familiar with every angle of it.
I had visions of some bureacrat burning our applications with glee. pinger.

Lets hope this doesn't happen with our T1198s either!
Wondering - Page 3 215329_stock-photo-businessman-burning-paperwork

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Apr 2014, 13:21

Mike, one other point, you don't need to be approved CPP D to apply for DTC. They are not connected in any way or exclusive to have one in order to have the other.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Apr 2014, 13:17

Mike and pinger, it is true DTC is for lack of better words. easier than CPP D to get in part because it is not a monthly financial  gain coming out of the governments coffers  directly but a  non-refundable tax credit in Canada for individuals who have a severe and prolonged impairment in physical or mental function. DTC qualifies as prolonged if it is expected to or has lasted at least 12 months. If I recall it is a $8000 ANNULLY non refundable tax credit which can significantly reduce ones tax base especially for Veterans.

Last edited by Crackers on Mon 14 Apr 2014, 13:26; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Mon 14 Apr 2014, 12:03

Crackers, tx for the heads up on dtc, coulda swore it was as difficult as cppd. That being said, everyones sit is different though so I'm gonna do some more homework and get familiar with every angle of it.
I had visions of some bureacrat burning our applications with glee. pinger.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike77 Mon 14 Apr 2014, 10:23

I think everyone's situation and priorities is slightly different. I think most of us have horror stories about VAC which has left me and others with trust issues for government/insurance agencies,  for those that don't good to hear at least there is some success without fighting for years.  SISIP LTD's decision for me was I'll say common sense, they approved me up to age 65, I am permanently and severely disabled so I have paperwork to do ever year and if common sense holds true I'll be compensated until I am 65. (fingers crossed) I like some of you have no children but do have a spouse who I not only need but want and feel a strong responsibility to take care of in many ways especially financially.  I'm also relatively young, I'll be on SISIP LTD for the next 20 years again fingers crossed, being approved CPP Disability means the following to me.

If approved I will lose $500.00 (bridge Benefit) from my Military pension.

I'll gain a CPPD paycheck that will offset my SISIP LTD which basically evens each other out.  

I'll be able to apply for the DTC, not sure of the monthly advantage.

I'm not seeing the advantage for me in being approved CPPD.  In saying that every person on here has advised me to appeal so I'm going to, I do trust you all.  when CPPD denied my initial application one of the reasons the person gave was that even though I'm unable to leave the house to work I should be able to lay on my back, talk on the phone and do volunteer calls. Classic.  I will appeal but with that and other logical reasoning for my initial denial I'm not holding on to any success, but I will try my best.  

Mike

Mike77
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2014-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Apr 2014, 08:59

pinger, DTC is a straight forward process and I have not heard of anyone on csat getting denied DTC. CPP D, I can say was denied in spouses case however in the process of an appeal through CPP D channels. It was a kick in the gut and I suspect they will reject again but as others have said, we must continue to appeal out of principle and necessity. Perhaps others can advise as well on their success or otherwise. Side note, as a disabled Vet myself I applied prior to my med release and was approved on first round.

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Sun 13 Apr 2014, 23:17

Just a few thoughts folks. I am elb, tpi, and fubar. I will approach ccpd and the dtc sooner than later. The future implications are only positive. But do you know how difficicult it is to get that approved? Honestly, I haven't applied yet but expect to get denied 1, 2, or 3 times. I have read the applications and they intimidate like other applications do. Our physical/mental sits could be very severe but "go to helen wait" is what I read.
Sisip? 30 years ago we all scowled at that word. They were crooks then and still are It was mandatory and they took quite a bite out of our pay in premiums.

But lets fight the good fight, best foot forward, a full head of steam. But if you falter . . .? remember, YOU ARE NOT ALONE. pinger.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Apr 2014, 19:22

exactly right recon if you are disabled and can no longer work APPLY APPLY APPLY!!!!!

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Recon031 Sun 13 Apr 2014, 19:13

Propat ............I've corrected my CPPD up top

.........MY POINT IS .......... GET YOUR CPPD ASAP , SHOULD YOU DESERVE IT , GO GET IT

AND SETTLE FOR NOTHING LESS THAN " THANK - YOU " FOR ACCEPTING .........

TOO MUCH """ SMOKE AND MIRRORS """ ON HERE , JUST WANTED TO PUT SOME REAL NUMBERS OUT THERE TO SAY HEY TROOPS ............ IF YOU QUALIFY ......... SEVERE & PROLONGED.......... GET WHAT IS RIGHTFULLY YOUR'S .....& SETTLE FOR NO THING LESS .

For Country
Retired Army MasterSniper
Dave Fitzpatrick
Family of .......7.......
Recon031
Recon031
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 243
Registration date : 2013-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Apr 2014, 18:59

recon its a long winded calculation but the biggest part of it is what you were paying in in the moast recent years. I did 20 and am getting almost exactly the same. keep in mind CPPD is a little higher than CPP so if on CPP today the 880 seems fairly accurate. your CF pension was effected as the bridge effect was lost ( witch is BS but that's how it works ) if on CPPD prior to release like me you may not have noticed it as it would have been deducted from your very first pension cheque. if you were accepted for CPPD after release you really would have noticed it.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Recon031 Sun 13 Apr 2014, 18:33

Holy Shit ..... am I the only one Confused or what ?????????????      RobbieRoyal ....Steve this not directed solely at you ........BUT @ everyone's Thoughts on THIS TOPIC .

I'm very curious for those who are Medically Released with lesser years served than other's , and if the amount you get is indeed effected by how many years you pay in ? ....... or..... are you given close to the Max Monthly Amount
when released for Medical Reasons ..........

$ 880 per month ... ?
$ 461 per month ... ?

This is straight up Troops ............. I served for & paid CPP for 18 years .............

$ 1013.00 is my CPP monthly & taxable
$   230 .00  per child is non-taxable

.........NOTE :::::: $ 1052.00 ..... is the  maximum CPPD paid out per month ...... FROM A RELIABLE SOURCE

My CF Pension remains the same
My CPPD ............. REDUCED MY CF Pension BY.... $ 350.00 per month ..... when I rec'd my retro on CPPD , I paid back CF Pension $ 5879.00 in 2008
My CPPD is now $ 2163.00 mth. WITH 5 YOUNG CHILDREN ADDED
My SISIP took a hit / down to 1475.00 mth.

Pensions increase every Jan. with the COLA , same as VAC

Apply for CPP & DTC now , there are many advantages ............ YOU GOT TURNED DOWN ......  RE-APPLY
Just like ..... VAC Pension ..... Continue to RE-APPLY

Had to post this to clarify a few things & let some troops know the Monthly amount VARIES GREATLY ......... check with Proper Authorities
for your Personal amount.........then .......ADD the KIDS .

For Country
Family of ......7.......

Last edited by Recon031 on Sun 13 Apr 2014, 19:36; edited 2 times in total
Recon031
Recon031
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 243
Registration date : 2013-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Apr 2014, 12:20

The big deal about applying for CPPD is because both insurance companies and Canada Pension Plan are concerned about putting young persons on disability benefits because of the length of time they will probably have to pay benefits. If you are currently 40 years old, SISIP may have to pay benefits for another 25 years. That could amount to $2,000 per month, or $24,000 per year, or $600,000 over the next 25 years. The younger you are, therefore, the harder the insurance company fights to keep from paying disability benefits. It is in your best interests to apply just to show that by virtue of being disabled you could not contribute to the CPP.
Any disabled veteran that has or could not contribute for any period of time will only receive the calculated entitlement for years paid into the CPP from aged 18 providing that your application meets the “accepted” terms “severe and prolonged”.
The transition from LTD if you have CPPD is a smooth transition and takes effect immediately.
If you have children under age 18 and or children who are full-time students in university there is also a monthly benefit for dependent children of parents who are receiving a CPP disability benefit.
Applying for the DTC will also give the CPPD recipient more benefits “if” successful.
Maximum CPP entitlement is based on 40 years of employment over the age of 18 and as of last year that was 880.00 a month, while the average is 461.00 per month, so as you see a young disabled veteran (20’s) will receive less than 90.00 a month. So is applying for CPPD a benefit? Ask yourself what else do you lose at 65?
So by at least applying for CPPD they now know you where unable to contribute and that will factor in to how much you are entitled to at age 65 by calculating the years you did contribute. So while we all try to develop theories I ask that you start looking after number 1 and apply, yes it is a huge pain in the arse but once it is done it is done. I now have a small income that is put away for my son on a monthly contribution and a daughter that is paying off her student loan with her monthly entitlement. Sometimes it is not just about us rather, others.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Apr 2014, 11:47

lol yes we did buds.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Apr 2014, 11:45

Propat looks like we had the same thoughts....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Apr 2014, 11:44

Mike77 wrote:I just want to say thanks for everyone's help and advise, I will appeal and look into the ELB, I have been dealing with SISIP/Manulife's LTD policy's and think I have a pretty firm grip of the rules as for ELB?  I'll have to start doing some research but was under the impression it was one or the other, I mean you can't be approved SISIP LTD up to 65 and then apply for ELB can you?  I'm at the point were I would never be approved retraining or schooling to qualify for ELB.  

Thanks again,  Mike

Mike77, I think it is a good decision to consider ELB even if for instance someone was appealing for LTD through adjudication process currently. I inquired with Dan Wallace of MC whether it would hurt any chances of being approved LTD through appeals and he said it would not hurt and to apply for ELB if one chose to. That point was reassuring. The other point to consider and it may or may not come to be but if ELB does get extended beyond the current age cut off then when LTD gets cut off you would simply transfer to ELB at that point. I will say that recently DVA reviewed my spouses VIP questionnaire and suggested that he apply for ELB although also stating no guarantee he would be approved but the thought was appreciated and goes a long way in our books from DVA.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next