Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should we have a Royal Commission?

5 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Should we have a Royal Commission? Empty Re: Should we have a Royal Commission?

Post by Guest Fri 16 Jan 2015, 17:43

Well our hopes for a big announcement by this government for Veterans in the upcoming budget maybe fading.

With the delay in releasing the budget until April, due to the volatility in declining oil prices, they may not have the funds available for us.

I won't lose hope - but it does change somewhat, what I was saying and or thinking back in Dec.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 21 Dec 2014, 19:03

agreed pinger hind sight is 20/20 I just thought he was one thing but it turned out he is something completely different and for that misplaced thought and ultimately vote I do apologise .

as for who will be next im guessing trudeau he has Gerald butts and that really aught to be enough but name recognition as well . just a guess.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Sun 21 Dec 2014, 18:39

Hmm... I feel Prime Minister Harper is not nice, never was. Can't stand him (he's a snake) JMO. However I truly respect the position he holds, here's hoping we all do.
I should refrain from talking politics. But who could be the next GoC johnny on the spot? It can burn my blood pressure in vac circles. Me thinks, hold them accountable no matter the flavour... pinger.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 21 Dec 2014, 15:55

well I hate the guy ill tell ya that straight out . yup he did some good things no doubt getting rid of that idiotic gun registration crap just to name one.

im sure some of you know how I feel about vets issues especially the buyout and free speech .

on the free speech side this guy was my hero BEFORE he became PM but his actions in this regard have proven hypocritical .

on the buyout issue I hoped this guy would come good but got nothing but disappointed .

ya see I was a lifetime tory from a big tory family. well up until 06 that is . been burning crap loads of bridges ever since .

so ya I do hate the guy.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 21 Dec 2014, 13:40

Navrat,

I am totally with you, I don't hate the PM either, he is just human like the rest of us, in charge of the Country yes, subject to criticism absolutely, like I have already stated I think he has done some great things for this Country, but not so great for Veterans, in particular the lump sum, it was not him who invented it, but it is him who now defends it.
Personally I think if he had just taken a bit more time in understanding the impact of what lies ahead for Veterans who are now receiving lump sum payments, versus the old lifetime pension, he may have been able to question it further, and refused what was suggested by his staff.
Coming out publicly to announce that he has some concerns about the lump sum, would have been a positive signal towards Veterans - or even maybe a statement to that effect.
So yes I would not have a problem agreeing that he may have been mislead by his staff, however he continues to stand firm on the court battle taken place today.

It will be interesting to see how the government reacts if they lose their fight in stopping the law suit from going forward.

What will the government do in this case ?

2 Truck,

Great Idea !

Implement a cross Country Veteran survey to really know how the majority of Veterans feel with respect to the way this government is handling our file.

One point of thought that I failed to mention in one of my past post on the subject about the PM's statement on the way in which Veterans feel about how this government looks after the Veterans and the NVC, sense that is what is implemented today, and it's just something that I thought of just now, perhaps one reason why the PM has stated this is because a very large percentage of Veterans are on the old pension system, who are " GRANDFATHERED INTO THE OLD PLAN " so it maybe safe to say that this large group of Veterans are Ok with what is taken place today in regards to how they are being looked after by the government, even though they obviously are against the NVC.

Back to top Go down

Post by 2 Truck Sun 21 Dec 2014, 08:35

Dear Stephan (Harper)
Please note that I require proof that everyone supported the NVC before it was enacted into law. I know that I did not nor was I even asked!

Please have the VAC enclose a questionnaire in the next issue of the Salute newsletter. Some questions could be: "Are you satisfied with the programs you have accessed with VAC?", "Are you satisfied with the disability portion of the NVC (ie. lump sum payment)?", "Are you satisfied with the current Minister of Veterans Affairs?" and "Today, if given the choice, would you proceed to be serviced by the NVC or revert back to the Pension Act with improved programs?". I bet no politician has the balls to get this type of feedback. But Stephan you would know if the majority of veterans perceive if the government is doing enough for veterans.

Please have the questionnaires returned to Stats Canada and the results published publicly, in parliamentary newsletters, newspapers and in "Salute". Just so they aren't misconstrued, hid or lost.

Then Stephan, you can go back and redo your interview with Mr. Mansbridge so you can intelligently know the answer to his questions.
 PS. quit spending money on those effing irritating veterans commercials and spend it on reverting back to the Pension Act.

Thanks and Have a Merry Christmas

DFW2T

2 Truck
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Dec 2014, 19:28

Trooper, I am glad you are on Csat ! I personally do not hate the PM I just believe he is either very misinformed by his underlings or maybe he actually believes the benefits are great! If the benefits were given out like it says in print then a great number of veterans I believe would be satisfied. The problem is its like telling an east coaster that last call was a half hour ago or trying to pry that last moose head outta there hand, VAC is very hard to get benefits out of, maybe if they loosen the purse strings the uproar wouldn't be as loud, just my opinion, and also a very very merry Christmas to all of the CSAT army, with the whole sisip retro, the income tax, the forms, and now the cola it's been a hella of a ride, but I couldn't have made it thru without you guys, Have a Great Christmas all

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Dec 2014, 11:49

propat,

I agree ending the buyout is crucial for Afghan Vets and the Vets of tomorrow, this is not a good thing in any way.
The PM has made his decision on this, and he is holding strong on this.
A decision I think well motivated by his Legal staff.
For me this decision alone is enough to sway my vote, however, I am still looking for a better alternative party who will be better for all Veterans as a whole.
I think Navrat has said it best, if he wanted to fix it, he would have.
He is the person at the very top, therefor he holds the responsibility rather his Legal team got it right - or wrong.

It is disgraceful to see our government fight this very issue in court, and like I already stated this very issue is, and will continue to be a hot topic for this government moving forward in the new year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Dec 2014, 08:30

ya it would be nice to see all those recommendations implemented for sure but it would not sway my vote at all . the only fracking thing that could make me vote for the party in power is to end the buyout .

disabled afghan vets NEED this NOW . every day that goes by the more desperate they become.

the tories do this and only this they will have my vote . I don't mean promise it I mean actually do it.

ya after all these years of BS I still would not like it and will be doing it begrudgingly not for me not for them but just for disabled afghan vets .

im thinking that's the least I can do for them.

I really think treating these guys like second class vets with greatly reduced benefits is just fracking ridicules.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Dec 2014, 08:33

I heard Harper wants to open a satellite VAC office in Havana , out of site out of mind, is kinda what Harper believes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Dec 2014, 05:24

like that too cause right now they be a rich stealing bunch of bastards

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Thu 18 Dec 2014, 23:14

That's one good way to look at it Pinger. Never thought of that.

If Harper comes to the table with real improvements recommended by the OVO actuarial and increase the ELB and keep it going past age 65 then the Royal Commission can zero in on the red tape, VRAB and bureaucracy withing VAC to make it look like a penny pinching insurance company.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Dec 2014, 19:09

thanks Sparrow lol gotta love the expression "Can't Fix Stupid" however we can blame the "Idiot" lol, I should run in the next general election I got the "Confidence Vote" from my home riding.

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Thu 18 Dec 2014, 18:49

Teen, you wrote... " The commercials about Duffy and Harper would be endless and it would make the veteran issue look like a hiccup. " That being in the context of Duffy's trial dragging bad mud onto Harpers election shoes right? O.K.
But there's a flip-side to that coin. If a major calamity or two happens spread over month's that Harper didn't cause but that he can be the knight in shining armour for... to save the day?
O.K... too apocalyptic. But what's that I see? AHA MY BYS, look at those big fat juicy
"red herrings" with blue ties attached. What's the media gonna focus on? Our hiccups? NO.

As an aside, if Harper put into law every one of the 200 recommendations, for the past 10 years tomorrow morning that would be great. But I would still not vote for him because he has unequivocally lost my... TRUST. PERIOD.
Maybe if he quit his day job, he could tour full-time with his Van Cats? And if that doesn't pan out he'd do fine on a poker tour. pinger.

Last edited by pinger on Thu 18 Dec 2014, 19:02; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I forgot my crystal ball.)
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Dec 2014, 15:52

Well teen and early election is a card that can certainly be played by the PM.

The senate scandal will heat up somewhat by the end of March and Mr. Duffy will play a part in that, however, I do think that Michael Ferguson's audit report on the Senate which is expected by the end of March will top Mr. Duffy's court case, just my opinion.
Senate Clerk Gary O’Brien has already given word that he is leaving the senate which will take effect mid Feb, just over a Month before the audit is due.
His resignation comes less than two years before the end of his term.
Rumor has it, and it's just that a " RUMOR " that more resignations will follow before the audit is released.
I have read where this audit report will reveal that many more Senator's will have to account for their spending.

Personally, I think that Harper for the most part has protected himself going forward into this scandal , and I say this because he tried to abolish the senate through the courts, but was not successful, he can blame that one on the courts.
As far as Duffy and the rest go, well let's just say he rolled them over, he can now sit back and let the courts handle them.

I am going to guess that it will be the Veterans file that will surpass the senate scandal in 2015.

Again, it is only my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next