Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Career Impact Allowance (CIA)

+59
derngt
Iceman
VetWife
propat
daverobitaille@rogers.com
Gunner8
Rubicon
coppers2002
rmsclk
140AESOP
XMedic
SIGS PIGS
sports1977
AirLog
kennyturcotte
sports_1977
armyvet83
red510
Newfie
rmsclk836
Tilap61
Paratrooper
lyonhart
Nemo
By the Bay
Yump5555
frustrated
acerman1234
861Cook
GPO75
Willie
Gardener101
Armygunner
Teager
321HTRCN
Rustytheviking
Dannypaj
abetterway
bosn181
LostTrucker
Newf
tetech
Panserbjørn
1sea0shell33
1993firebird
LawnBoy77777
Vet1234
vaincre
cosmo12
srproctor
Rifleman
Sapper Zodiak
czerv
pinger
johnny211
bigrex
BinRat
Teentitan
63 posters

Page 16 of 47 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 31 ... 47  Next

Go down

Career Impact Allowance (CIA) - Page 16 Empty Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA)

Post by sports_1977 Mon 23 Jul 2018, 10:43

I have only been on ELB now since May 2018.

My CM believe i should wait before applying for DEC.

Now my Doctor wants to stop me complete from work for DEC. What are the step with DEC do they send someone at are house.
or they just go with the medical evidence

sports_1977
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2018-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 23 Jul 2018, 10:06

If you truly cannot work, and you can get supporting evidence from your mental health team, then you should apply for DEC ASAP. That way, your CIA will automatically be approved at grade1, and you can also apply for CIAS, before it's abolished next April.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Jul 2018, 08:25

sports_1977 wrote:Thanks for the quick reply

No worries. I wish you the best on your application.

Back to top Go down

Post by sports_1977 Mon 23 Jul 2018, 08:23

Thanks for the quick reply

sports_1977
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Jul 2018, 08:22

sports_1977 wrote:Hello,

I just applied for CIA about a week ago, it's at Stage 3 all ready.
I believe this is were it stales out. But my question is, im not on DEC, just on ELB.

I am not able to work because of my PTSD.

Now is there any set of criteria they are going to ask me or they just look into my file and try to figure out if i deserve it or not.
I only served 4 years, because of my PTSD  and depression i could not continue.

Just wondering how this all works.
I feel terrible as well because im reading Vet that has 20 years service, and im here with only 4 years....

VAC will use the information in your file to determine whether or not you qualify. I'm CIA level 3 I was awarded the benefit 2 years ago. All I needed to do was apply.

Back to top Go down

Post by sports_1977 Sun 22 Jul 2018, 21:42

Hello,

I just applied for CIA about a week ago, it's at Stage 3 all ready.
I believe this is were it stales out. But my question is, im not on DEC, just on ELB.

I am not able to work because of my PTSD.

Now is there any set of criteria they are going to ask me or they just look into my file and try to figure out if i deserve it or not.
I only served 4 years, because of my PTSD and depression i could not continue.

Just wondering how this all works.
I feel terrible as well because im reading Vet that has 20 years service, and im here with only 4 years....

sports_1977
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 21 Jul 2018, 09:04

You shouldn't have to request it from anyone in particular . Just send a message through MY VAC account, saying that you are requesting a reassessment. .The VAC staffer who receives it, should send the request to the appropriate department.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Jul 2018, 12:20

Teager wrote:Here is the policy for a review of a CIA decision and who to write to. http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/2248
sorry, amid all the gobbldygook I couldnt find who i am supposed to send a reassessment request to?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Jul 2018, 12:15

By the Bay wrote:Thanks ScottyG!
I have already applied for DEC, CIA, CIA Supplement and requested a reassessment of my disability pension on the advice of my new case manager. I did not think I was entitled to these benefits because I was under SISIP LTD and I have a small pension of 12% under the old charter from 13 years ago. It wasn't until my husband applied on my behalf  for the 15% top-up....the flood gates of applications started pouring in. I was very nervous applying for the Rehab program but my case manager said that I will most likely be DEC because of the severity of my disability. I was recently approved for VIP and now I am waiting patiently to see if I will get approved for the other benefits. Plus I received $1.37 for my top up. It might not be much but hey it's an improvement😆 That buys me a pack of gum or a small cup of coffee at the Beckers Store👍 If I get denied, my case manger will help me with the appeal! I am just so happy with what I got so far! 😊 I know this an old post, but what is this 15% top up all about?

Cheers,
By the Bay

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Jul 2018, 12:09

Guest wrote:
Artie Simm wrote:maybe this was already covered but if you`re initial CIA application is denied and you disagree , what is your recourse? is there one? Do you just suck it up, or is there a formal process to follow and if it`s a written reply who do you mail your disagreement to? Thanks in advance.

You can appeal, ask for a review.

Regarding the review, you can write to VAC detailing the reasons for disagreeing, and any new evidence you have to add.

Some have been able to accomplish this through My VAC Account, while others were not able to, leaving them to send out their letter by mail.

I will let others who have recently sent out appeals to weight in with more info.  
Si in doing it by using MYVACACCOUNT is there a specific heading in the drop down window bar I should be addressing it to? You don`t just write it to your CM do you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Jul 2018, 11:34

bigrex wrote:That is the thing. You may be only entitled to grade three, based on time served, under THAT set of criteria. But if you meet the disability criteria, or affects on ADL, it's still possible to a higher grade, even with serving a full career. For example, if it takes you longer to stand up from a sitting position, or walk from point A to point B, than someone of equal age, who isn't disabled, then you may qualify for grade 2..
It`s interesting because 2 separate CM`s that I had , have told me that I could not apply for a higher Grade from basic to middle because I would have to be declared DEC first, ( which I`m not presently) however a quick search online, shows that a person can be deemed to go to Grade 2, if they meet the mental disability requirements, despite not being declared DEC.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 19 Jul 2018, 20:55

That is the thing. You may be only entitled to grade three, based on timed served, under THAT set of criteria. But if you meet the disability criteria, or affects on ADL, it's still possible to a higher grade, even with serving a full career. For example, if it takes you longer to stand up from a sitting position, or walk from point A to point B, than someone of equal age, who isn't disabled, then you may qualify for grade 2..
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Jul 2018, 20:48

bigrex wrote:Yes, it is confusing, because there are basically two sets of criteria for having your CIA assessed. One is simply based on the level of disability. The second set of criteria, requires being declared DEC, and then look at how many possible years of lost service, were due to the disability. Then they compare where you fall, under both sets of criteria, and grant whichever is the highest.
so if your level of disability were reassessed/ increased one could submit to have their CIA reassessed as well to go from grade 3 to 2?

Back to top Go down

Post by armyvet83 Thu 19 Jul 2018, 18:49

bigrex wrote:Yes, it is confusing, because there are basically two sets of criteria for having your CIA assessed. One is simply based on the level of disability. The second set of criteria, requires being declared DEC, and then look at how many possible years of lost service, were due to the disability. Then they compare where you fall, under both sets of criteria, and grant whichever is the highest.

My question was more about the fact that my contract was done. I could have signed for longer but just took my release. I wondered if VAC will look at this from this angle or is everyone under the 25 year contract rule for CIA

I have DEC and and don't expect anything higher than grade 3 anyways given the years left to serve. I'd likely be at grade 2 if it wasn't for that rule.

armyvet83
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2018-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 19 Jul 2018, 11:59

Yes, it is confusing, because there are basically two sets of criteria for having your CIA assessed. One is simply based on the level of disability. The second set of criteria, requires being declared DEC, and then look at how many possible years of lost service, were due to the disability. Then they compare where you fall, under both sets of criteria, and grant whichever is the highest.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 47 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 31 ... 47  Next