Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SUPPLEMENTARY RETIREMENT BENEFIT - LUMP SUM - 1 APRIL 2019

+30
skidsteer
Newfie
puddleduk2
cdnnavy77
Ppclicaper
Tilap61
Teentitan
Unknown Soldier
LAD
Peace
XMedic
doomed78
Rustytheviking
exarmyguy
Kramer
Teager
sailor964
johnny211
By the Bay
Supremedebater
bosn181
SIGS PIGS
Gunner8
propat
Vet1234
AirLog
bigrex
Rifleman
cosmo12
34 posters

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next

Go down

SUPPLEMENTARY RETIREMENT BENEFIT - LUMP SUM - 1 APRIL 2019 - Page 6 Empty Re: SUPPLEMENTARY RETIREMENT BENEFIT - LUMP SUM - 1 APRIL 2019

Post by Gunner8 Sun 15 Sep 2019, 12:33

From what I’ve been reading it seems as though as long as you were deemed DEC before April 1, which I was. I guess we will all find out soon enough.
I shouldn’t of been deemed DeC a few years ago but my case manager had never mentioned it to me, and I had no idea what it even was until i found this site. Along with many other benefits this site has helped me with. 6 yrs ELB before being deemed DEC because I got a new case manager. Thanks

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2018-01-13

Back to top Go down

SUPPLEMENTARY RETIREMENT BENEFIT - LUMP SUM - 1 APRIL 2019 - Page 6 Empty Re: SUPPLEMENTARY RETIREMENT BENEFIT - LUMP SUM - 1 APRIL 2019

Post by bigrex Sun 15 Sep 2019, 12:22

I do not think that has anything to do with what is happening over the next few weeks.. Even though they are both called SRB. This version of the SRB, had been intended to compensate Veterans who had been unable to contribute to a pension plan, because they were collecting ELB. So they would get a lump sum payment, when they turned 65, and the ELB ceased. But now that ELB no longer exists, and the IRB doesn't cease at 65, if DEC, they don't think that the SRB is necessary.

But TBH, I'm going to be grateful for whatever I get, because they could have just as easily kept their mouths shut, and eliminated the SRB without making these payments, unless you had already turned 65, and had already qualified for it.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 15 Sep 2019, 08:13

Basically what im asking is if an individual was medically released, infact from that date is what SRB sould be calculated back to.
In the case of a non medical release and through worsening injuries it is determined through a bureaucratic process and the person is deamed DEC that would be the date to go off of.
For metical release that individual was deamed DEC for any military occupation or trade as of release as i understand if reading correct in the link posted.
Need someone with legal training and the ability to read bureaucratic bs to give insight as to if it's a bend over and take it scenario.
Link:https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/s-24/page-2.html#h-442965

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 15 Sep 2019, 06:14

bigrex wrote:From what I could tell, it based on the duration of your time on ELB, as long as you were DEC before April 1st. when they eliminated the SRB
Need someone to expain this, if SRB was deducted from beginning of service, and possibly even taken from super annuation ie military pension which im not sure of, or if an individual is paying back pensionable time , legally shouldnt SRB be payed back to to the first deduction of SRB?
It is hard to find information explaining any of this with facts or figures so where did they come up with just since an individual recieved elb or was deemed dec ?
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/s-24/page-2.html#h-442965

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 15 Sep 2019, 00:19

From what I could tell, it based on the duration of your time on ELB, as long as you were DEC before April 1st. when they eliminated the SRB
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Sat 14 Sep 2019, 21:11

Was there ever any clarification on who would be receiving the SRB payout? I know you have to be Deemed DEC, but is the payout from when you were deemed DEC, or from the whole time you’ve been on ELB? Just curious because I’ve been on ELB since 2013, but was only deemed DEC In march 2019. Thanks

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2018-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Sat 14 Sep 2019, 17:34

Just FYI but my VAC account will be unavailable from 300am to 1pm tomorrow so guessing this will be for the SRB letters being uploaded.

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 14 Sep 2019, 12:58

They said that payments will start veing processed starting next week. I think most people will get the money rather quickly, but VAC will never provide a concrete window for payments, becasue there may be some files that are more complicated, or just get screwed up. I Would say that at least 90% of us, will have the money by the end of the month.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by LAD Fri 13 Sep 2019, 23:30

bigrex wrote:No, SISIP is more concerned about monthly payments, but since the SRB is a one time payment, and is not included in their list of prescribed sources of income, manulife does NOT need to be informed.  If you are concerned about it, you can call SISIP, but they should tell you the same thing.

Thanks bigrex and Puddleduk for originally posing this question. Also, thanks Steelgunner for above response.

LAD
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2019-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 13 Sep 2019, 21:18

No, SISIP is more concerned about monthly payments, but since the SRB is a one time payment, and is not included in their list of prescribed sources of income, manulife does NOT need to be informed.  If you are concerned about it, you can call SISIP, but they should tell you the same thing.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by LAD Fri 13 Sep 2019, 16:22

What is the official word on whether we have to advise Manulife of any SRB payout? I read Puddleduk's query on this, but I am still unclear if any SRB payout will affect Manulife benefits or whether we need to claim it with Manulife?

LAD
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2019-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Sep 2019, 18:39

LAD wrote:Any updates on the SRB payout? Do we know if anyone has received payment yet?  Is it going to paid out by piece meal going through individual files or paid out to everyone all at the same time?

This what I got today.   I don’t have a good feeling that we all will be paid at once, I guess we will find out in about 11 days from now.

Sent: UTC 2019-09-12 22:20

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for using My VAC Account and our secure email service.

With the introduction of Pension for Life and the changes to
our financial benefits, all clients who would have been eligible
for a Supplementary Retirement Benefit (SRB) payment at age 65
will instead receive a payout regardless of their current age.

Beginning the week of September 23, Veterans Affairs Canada will
make approximately 10,500 SRB payouts. Clients will also receive
an explanatory letter and the NCCN will be able to view those
letters in CSDN

The Government of Canada recognizes the contributions and sacrifices
of Veterans. Thank you for your service and we encourage you
to continue to make your needs known to the Department.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact
us again via My VAC Account or our toll-free number, 1-866-522-2122.

Regards,

Alex C
National Contact Centre Network Analyst
Veterans Affairs Canada

Back to top Go down

Post by XMedic Mon 09 Sep 2019, 15:00

Oh ok. Thanks Teager
XMedic
XMedic
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2018-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Mon 09 Sep 2019, 14:49

The news is just about the Hurricane Dorian.

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by XMedic Mon 09 Sep 2019, 14:05

Received a do not reply email today from Veterans Affairs about new news but when I finally got in to check I didn't see anything. I was wondering if it is about the SRB. Anyone out there that received the same message and no new news in your account.
XMedic
XMedic
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2018-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next