Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CPPD Help

+5
Teentitan
Newf
AirLog
propat
MikeCeeGB
9 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

CPPD Help - Page 2 Empty Re: CPPD Help

Post by Guest Tue 30 Apr 2019, 12:55

propat wrote:ok buds first you are suppose to notify VAC soon as your finances change . DONT !!! the pension guys are far more professional and just get thing done correctly at least in my experience so start there first and don't spend any of your CPPD money .

frack what you see in the account . you will receive a letter from CPPD with your payments and any back pay . inform the pension guys of this .

they will adjust your mil pension by removing the bridge benefit and in the case of backpay will tell you you owe x amount of dollars .

you pay them first and get the paperwork for that .

now that you have delt with mil pension and have all the paperwork you can now inform VAC id love to add now they cant possibly frack things up but im afraid I cant . what I can say is they are a lot less likely to frack things up.

propat
yeah bigrex told me to to that so thats the way I went, I got a letter in the mail from cPPD saying this is how much we are going to start paying you, so then I phoned mil pension people and told them I am now on cPPD, they asked for a copy of that letter so i sent it to them, and that was all I did so far, I guess the mil pension people will send me back a letter at some point? the first CPPD payment went into bank this month, so I set it aside as I aslo got an ELB payment that was the same as it was every other month, but at the end of the day when all this gets sorted out, is that not how it works that ELB is subtracted dollar for dollar by any other income I take in? So if I was getting normally $2000 a month from ELB and suddenly start getting $1000 a month from CPPD, that in june or whatever my bank account would eventually show ELB $1000 CPPD $1000? ( once I express to vAC that I`m collecting cppd)

Back to top Go down

Post by propat Tue 30 Apr 2019, 07:56

ok buds first you are suppose to notify VAC soon as your finances change . DONT !!! the pension guys are far more professional and just get thing done correctly at least in my experience so start there first and don't spend any of your CPPD money .

frack what you see in the account . you will receive a letter from CPPD with your payments and any back pay . inform the pension guys of this .

they will adjust your mil pension by removing the bridge benefit and in the case of backpay will tell you you owe x amount of dollars .

you pay them first and get the paperwork for that .

now that you have delt with mil pension and have all the paperwork you can now inform VAC id love to add now they cant possibly frack things up but im afraid I cant . what I can say is they are a lot less likely to frack things up.

propat

propat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2017-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 30 Apr 2019, 00:43

Sleeping Dog, if your ELB used to be $2500/ mo, after the CF pension deductions, it would now $2300. because the CF pension deduction would be $300 less ($2800 -$500), You would likely need to submit a new financial disclosure form, telling them what other income you receive, just like you had to do when first applying for ELB.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Apr 2019, 19:12

propat wrote:hey buds bride benefits  only apply to pensions linked to CPP . its an extra benefit added to your pension until you hit 65 if you retire early . if however  you collect CPP/CPPD prior to 65 you will loose this benefit . not sure how this effects your civi pension as they very you will need to contact them about that question .

as for your military pension it is in fact linked to CPP as I believe are all public service pensions so you will have a bridge benefit and you don't loose it until the time you effectively collect CPP/CPPD or you hit age 65. so given my understanding of your situation you have not lost your bridge benefit yet but will very soon .

again its you mil pension that will be reduced by the bridge benefit not the CPPD that remains the same . cant say the amount for sure but as a loose example you may get CPPD at $1000.00 and loose $300.00 off your mil pension.

keep in mind if you get retro back to a citrine date you will need to pay that bridge benefit back from that date on.

hope this helps

propat

this question is being asked by me in another post, but if I keep watching my bank account and let’s say in May I see a payment of CPPD which will be new to me, plus a mil pension payment that is now say $300 less than it used to be, how/when do I inform VAC that the ELB payment they are giving me now needs to be reduced, I.e. if my ELB payment is normally $2500 a month and then I suddenly start getting $500 a month CPPD, isn’t my ELB supposed to drop to $2000 a month, because you can’t double dip, or whatever it’s called.?

Last edited by Sleeping Dog on Tue 30 Apr 2019, 12:33; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by propat Mon 29 Apr 2019, 12:39

hey buds bride benefits only apply to pensions linked to CPP . its an extra benefit added to your pension until you hit 65 if you retire early . if however you collect CPP/CPPD prior to 65 you will loose this benefit . not sure how this effects your civi pension as they very you will need to contact them about that question .

as for your military pension it is in fact linked to CPP as I believe are all public service pensions so you will have a bridge benefit and you don't loose it until the time you effectively collect CPP/CPPD or you hit age 65. so given my understanding of your situation you have not lost your bridge benefit yet but will very soon .

again its you mil pension that will be reduced by the bridge benefit not the CPPD that remains the same . cant say the amount for sure but as a loose example you may get CPPD at $1000.00 and loose $300.00 off your mil pension.

keep in mind if you get retro back to a citrine date you will need to pay that bridge benefit back from that date on.

hope this helps

propat

propat
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 28 Apr 2019, 19:38

propat wrote:well I have no experience with your situation CPPD will not deduct dollar for dollar if they deduct anything at all . it all depends on the structure  of your pension . if you cannot collect your pension till you are 65 they will not subtract nothing . if you collect prior to age 65 then you may loose your bridge benefit . that will reduce your pension not your CPPD . not sure how much but on $500.00 im guessing around $175.00 .

hope this helps

propat
thx, I thought I was already losing my bridge benefit by the fact that I have a regular medically release pension so now that will become intertwined with CPPD, but the work pension I will eventually be entitled to will be before the age of 65

Back to top Go down

Post by propat Sun 28 Apr 2019, 17:45

well I have no experience with your situation CPPD will not deduct dollar for dollar if they deduct anything at all . it all depends on the structure of your pension . if you cannot collect your pension till you are 65 they will not subtract nothing . if you collect prior to age 65 then you may loose your bridge benefit . that will reduce your pension not your CPPD . not sure how much but on $500.00 im guessing around $175.00 .

hope this helps

propat

propat
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

CPPD Help - Page 2 Empty Here’s a question maybe for those on CPPD...

Post by Guest Thu 25 Apr 2019, 19:30

I have recently been told I will begin to collect CPPD, l don’t know the exact amount yet, but let’s use $1000. Prior to being labeled disabled, l held down a civi job long enough to be able to collect a pension from it, though l have to wait years from now as that money is locked in. Let’s suppose that pension earned by me will be $500 a month. Fast forward to the date I can now collect said pension, let’s say 5 years from now. At that time can/will the CPPD people look at that as earned income, even though I will probably never work again.? I.e. will they say “ oh you are now drawing $500 a month, well we are going to subtract that $500 from the $1000 a month we’ve been paying you”. On the one hand, if that is what happens, I’m not really out any money as I will still be bringing in a $1000 a month, just from two separate sources, however if that’s how it works, it’s kind of a kick in the nuts to have worked towards that pension and end up seeing none of it, and yet, I didn’t know I was going to end up fully disabled either. Has anyone else gone through similar.?

Back to top Go down

CPPD Help - Page 2 Empty Question re: multiple payees

Post by Sailor63 Sat 13 Apr 2019, 16:36

Removing question

Last edited by Sailor63 on Mon 15 Apr 2019, 17:06; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : No response)

Sailor63
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2018-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Apr 2019, 08:43

propat wrote:ya im on SISIP and gotta tell ya not a big SISIP fan . im not entirely sure you have to apply for SISIP and given the choice I would not id just apply for ELB/IRB on its own it would pay out the full 90%. if you feel you must apply for SISIP there is nothing stopping you from applying for ELB/IRB at the same time these things take a while so id get the ball rolling .

no slam dunks here as we all know but if you are receiving a PA pension or have received an award   for something and that something was the cause of your medical release and also the reason you can no longer work and will be receiving CPPD your chances of approval would be better than average ,

propat
yes, that is the route I took, my lose of job are due to numerous injuries I obtained in the military that have compounded. I left the civi job entirely and was/am on ELB until last month when I received a letter saying that I was approved for CPPD. I recently mailed that letter to the mil. Pension division, but I had nothing more to do with sisip.
One further question, because I had a job, I did all my medical claims through the blue cross I was paying into at that work place, but this may sound stupid, but maybe I’m NOT the only one who did not know about this, but in all the years I was out, I knew nothing about the coverage federal employees get if they served 10 years in a federal job, the Public Service Health Plan, I think it’s called. The whole time I was out I could have been submitting claims to them for dental, glasses, etc and they would have picked up some of the tab that blue cross did not.

Back to top Go down

Post by propat Sat 13 Apr 2019, 06:04

ya im on SISIP and gotta tell ya not a big SISIP fan . im not entirely sure you have to apply for SISIP and given the choice I would not id just apply for ELB/IRB on its own it would pay out the full 90%. if you feel you must apply for SISIP there is nothing stopping you from applying for ELB/IRB at the same time these things take a while so id get the ball rolling .

no slam dunks here as we all know but if you are receiving a PA pension or have received an award for something and that something was the cause of your medical release and also the reason you can no longer work and will be receiving CPPD your chances of approval would be better than average ,

propat

propat
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Apr 2019, 04:37

Teentitan wrote:Sleeping Dog if your injury/illness is the reason for not being able to carry on with your civilian job then under the SISIP policy you can go back on LTD thru SISIP and VAC

SISIP pays 75% of your salary at the time of your release from the military.  VAC has an ELB (Earning Loss Benefit) of 15% for a total of 90% of your salary at the time of your CF medical release.  VAC's portion was brought in about 4 years ago but you need to concentrate on SISIP first.

I suggest that you call SISIP on Monday and explain the situation to them.  Make sure you have the following information that you can refer to when you talk to them.

your medical release date
your medical condition that caused the release
how long you were on SISIP LTD and what you trained for
why your medical condition that caused your release from the CF has caused you to lose your civilian job

If during the phone call you are having a problem understanding what is being explained to you ask for an in-home meeting with a SISIP councilor.  Don't worry about asking for this.  SISIP councilor's are there to help veterans.

The 15% that VAC pays can be handled after you talk to SISIP.  SISIP works with VAC when it comes to LTD so don't worry about VAC right now concentrate on talking with SISIP.  

Here is the phone number for SISIP  1-855-887-7809 and a link to their website  

https://www1.manulife.com/can/affinity/affinity.nsf/public/sisip_t100

Teen is right, also you may need to seek legal advice as SISIP is an insurance company in the buisness of making money not paying it out, as they told me in a face to face meeting in Ottawa. You may get lucky but expect the unexpected and be prepaired with knowledge from a professional insurance lawyer. There is a free online legal service, have your info available leave your message they will return your call and give you 15 minutes of free advice, its a starting point if SISIP seems less then enthusiastic about reopening your file!

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sat 13 Apr 2019, 01:23

Sleeping Dog if your injury/illness is the reason for not being able to carry on with your civilian job then under the SISIP policy you can go back on LTD thru SISIP and VAC

SISIP pays 75% of your salary at the time of your release from the military. VAC has an ELB (Earning Loss Benefit) of 15% for a total of 90% of your salary at the time of your CF medical release. VAC's portion was brought in about 4 years ago but you need to concentrate on SISIP first.

I suggest that you call SISIP on Monday and explain the situation to them. Make sure you have the following information that you can refer to when you talk to them.

your medical release date
your medical condition that caused the release
how long you were on SISIP LTD and what you trained for
why your medical condition that caused your release from the CF has caused you to lose your civilian job

If during the phone call you are having a problem understanding what is being explained to you ask for an in-home meeting with a SISIP councilor. Don't worry about asking for this. SISIP councilor's are there to help veterans.

The 15% that VAC pays can be handled after you talk to SISIP. SISIP works with VAC when it comes to LTD so don't worry about VAC right now concentrate on talking with SISIP.

Here is the phone number for SISIP 1-855-887-7809 and a link to their website

https://www1.manulife.com/can/affinity/affinity.nsf/public/sisip_t100

Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Apr 2019, 00:35

Teentitan wrote:
Sleeping Dog wrote:[quote="AirLog

I hate being so out of the loop,but I was injured while serving, I think I had something to do with sisip when I first got out like paying for retraining,  but I think that all ended at a 2 year mark. Do you mean I am always under sisip for the rest of my life? I mean I never get anything from them in the mail or anything,  I thought the only other thing I had with them was a life insurance for my wife when I die. While were at it, are we also under some form of automatic blue cross? I mean I was under blue cross when I had a civi job years ago after leaving the army, but l lost that coverage when I lost that job. Like I know vets submit claims to vac for massages etc. I guess that's really blue cross though people say they are submitting it to vac?

SISIP LTD is for the first 2 years after your medical release.  If your injuries prevent you from gaining employment then your LTD can be extended up to age 65.  BUT you can go back on SISIP LTD if your original injury prevents you from working your new job.

As for Blue Cross they are the insurance company VAC uses to pay for medical treatment of pensioned conditions.  So let's say it was a back injury that caused your medical release and you need chiropractor and massage therapy MedaVie Blue Cross will pay for it.  FYI a lot of medical service providers are now in the VAC/Blue Cross online payment system so all they would need from you is your K number from VAC and a doctors prescription.
that’s what I don’t understand, you say “ you can go back on sisip Ltd”, what is there to go back to .? I was originally medically released but I had enough time in to start getting a partial caf pension, sisip paid for schooling for my next 2 years. I landed a job with that training and as far as I knew, that closed the book on my sisip involvement until I die and then my wife gets a life insurance policy I opened with them when I first joined the forces. I held a job for a number of years and I used to submit medical claims through that work place blue cross. Then my injuries increased in severity and I had to give up that job. CPPD says I will never work again, how/why would sisip/Ltd become involved again.? I am totally out of that civi job, not on a 2 year Ltd from it or anything like that. Sorry if I’m not understanding all that everyone is explaining.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Fri 12 Apr 2019, 23:01

Sleeping Dog wrote:[quote="AirLog

I hate being so out of the loop,but I was injured while serving, I think I had something to do with sisip when I first got out like paying for retraining,  but I think that all ended at a 2 year mark. Do you mean I am always under sisip for the rest of my life? I mean I never get anything from them in the mail or anything,  I thought the only other thing I had with them was a life insurance for my wife when I die. While were at it, are we also under some form of automatic blue cross? I mean I was under blue cross when I had a civi job years ago after leaving the army, but l lost that coverage when I lost that job. Like I know vets submit claims to vac for massages etc. I guess that's really blue cross though people say they are submitting it to vac?

SISIP LTD is for the first 2 years after your medical release.  If your injuries prevent you from gaining employment then your LTD can be extended up to age 65.  BUT you can go back on SISIP LTD if your original injury prevents you from working your new job.

As for Blue Cross they are the insurance company VAC uses to pay for medical treatment of pensioned conditions.  So let's say it was a back injury that caused your medical release and you need chiropractor and massage therapy MedaVie Blue Cross will pay for it.  FYI a lot of medical service providers are now in the VAC/Blue Cross online payment system so all they would need from you is your K number from VAC and a doctors prescription.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next