Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about CIA and about PTSD claim

+5
SIGS PIGS
bigrex
Teentitan
Gunner8
AirLog
9 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Question about CIA and about PTSD claim - Page 2 Empty Re: Question about CIA and about PTSD claim

Post by Guest Mon 30 Dec 2019, 08:59

A lot of partial awards such as 2/5 etc were raised to 4/5 on appeal to decrease the backlogs. So you getting 5/5 is a cut above good for you.

Back to top Go down

Question about CIA and about PTSD claim - Page 2 Empty Re: Question about CIA and about PTSD claim

Post by Guest Mon 30 Dec 2019, 06:32

My overall percentage stayed the same, but it is now paid in full.
To be honest, obviously the cash will help a lot. But, what really matters to me, Is by VAC increasing my entitlement level to 5/5 they are acknowledging that my PTSD is fully attributable to military service.
It's a big weight off of my shoulders and I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Dec 2019, 05:52

3/5 to 5/5 and that took 46 weeks. I think that could have been fast-tracked. If your overall percentage increased I could see the additional time. Glad it was successful for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 Dec 2019, 16:33

Chaud wrote:Hi Six Actual Can you tell me how long the dept review took. I requested one. Mine has been over 16 weeks at level 3.

It was 46 weeks from Step 1 to Step 4 Chaud, but that isn't necessarily a reflection of how long your claim could take.

VAC had to review my file from 2008 until 2019, so that may have been a factor in the length of time my claim took.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 Dec 2019, 16:09

Hi Six Actual Can you tell me how long the dept review took. I requested one. Mine has been over 16 weeks at level 3.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 Dec 2019, 15:41

Rifleman wrote:There is only an option for new veterans on PFL they have the option I know for a fact that if you were a part of the NVC when they decided to go to this new PFL you do not get the option for instance I qualified for the PFL a sum of let’s say 250 dollars a month that is the only way it can be paid and I have questioned this every possible way you could think ONLY NEW VETERANS GET THE OPTION and I for one would of taken a lump some payment under the new PFL if I could due to my age

I requested a Departmental Review of my level of entitlement for PTSD in January of this year. It was ajudicated under the PFL legislation. It was decided in my favour increasing my level of entitlement from 3/5 to 5/5.

I was awarded a PFL pension and I received retroactive benefits back to April 1st of this year with the first regular payment received on December 23rd.

I have requested the lump sum option, by requesting the form on My VAC Account about two weeks ago. I was informed that the lump sum would take 6 to 8 weeks to process.

I'm not a "new veteran". I receive benefits under the PA, NVC and The Veterans Well-Being Act.

The lump sum is available to anyone with a favourable decision under the Veterans Well-Being Act (VWA)

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Sat 28 Dec 2019, 16:59

If you were under the NVC prior to 1 Apr you would have recieved a lump sum anyway. If you recieved a second lump sum this would be completely unfair to this under PFL whereas the reduced pension amount is simply trying to make up the difference if you had chosen that from the beginning.

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifleman Sat 28 Dec 2019, 16:35

There is only an option for new veterans on PFL they have the option I know for a fact that if you were a part of the NVC when they decided to go to this new PFL you do not get the option for instance I qualified for the PFL a sum of let’s say 250 dollars a month that is the only way it can be paid and I have questioned this every possible way you could think ONLY NEW VETERANS GET THE OPTION and I for one would of taken a lump some payment under the new PFL if I could due to my age

Rifleman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Sat 28 Dec 2019, 09:26

Sig's there still is an option to recieve lump sum or pension. You just have to request the lump sum once a favourable decision has been made.

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by SIGS PIGS Fri 27 Dec 2019, 15:04

Good afternoon all,

why did Vac tell us how we are going to receive our money. I believe if a Vet feels he or she would like the lump sum or monthy amount that should be their decision. they took that completely out of our hands. I feel it should always be the vet's family decision. some are swimming in debt and receiving 250 a month where a lump sum of 70,000 would be life changing to some. do you think we will ever get the option again on the pension for life,

Sigs Pigs

SIGS PIGS
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2017-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 27 Dec 2019, 14:53

They probably still track the actual percentages, at VAC, but just stopped telling the Veterans. Once you hit 100%, being told that the new condition is assessed at say 30%, but you know that the corresponding money isn't coming, could be depressing.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Fri 27 Dec 2019, 12:33

I have been over 100% for 2 years and had a surgery last summer (2018) and they sent me an approval letter for my knees and the percentage was on the approval letter but it was explained I have already maxed out my payment system.

VAC for Stats Canada has to keep track of disability percentages because every 20-30 years Stats Canada evaluates if payment amounts have to be increased above COLA in comparison to the poverty line.  Also how many vets are passing away from their injuries and at what age, estate value, debt the vet was in etc.  

Stats Canada also keeps track of cause of veterans deaths as well.  Something about future statistics for history books etc.

So if VAC is no longer putting percentages on the approval letters one would have to wonder maybe there is too many vets with injuries/consequential injuries going above 100%.  Guess Big Brother is monitoring all vet chat forums and seeing vets have no problem sharing their disability percentages and does not want mainstream media to find out.

Believe it or not raw data scares governments more then a group of disabled vets complaining.  They love complaining because they can ignore it but numbers that are calculated by accounting firms, Stats Canada, and esteemed universities with top notch stats compilation scare the hell out of them.  

I believe it was the University of Guelph that did the actuarial back in 2012-13 for the Veterans Ombudsman and it showed that when vets turn 65 too many vets annual income put them below the poverty line.  When the Ombudsman submitted to the VAC Standing Committee Hearings and a few testifying vets as well it scared the Cons and they started pumping out new benefits with a concentration on post 65 income not just for the vet but also the widow/widowers.  Remember the NVC did not have a survivors benefit like the Pension Act so they slipped one in on one of the post 65 financial benefits.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Fri 27 Dec 2019, 09:40

Gunner8 wrote:His percentage is not over 100%. He has 2 previous claims totalled to be 25%. So he definitely isn’t over 100% with the new ptsd claim. That’s why I don’t understand why he hasn’t received anything yet.

Gunner
if his ptsd claim is a first time and not an update I think they automatically give 10-30% , and once complete they come up with a final %. It’s weird that they never attached a number, but finding out what’s going on should still be in the realm of what a Cm can find out. Keep pushing for an answer
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 608
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Fri 27 Dec 2019, 09:23

His percentage is not over 100%. He has 2 previous claims totalled to be 25%. So he definitely isn’t over 100% with the new ptsd claim. That’s why I don’t understand why he hasn’t received anything yet.

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2018-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Thu 26 Dec 2019, 20:11

AirLog wrote:Same with me. When my illness was an approved calm (2016), it was approved at 109%. All subsequent claims didn't have a % assigned, simply approved with all medical, etc associated with these claims covered. If all subsequent claims were assigned a % I believe that I would have a total % of well over 150%.

AirLog
this was in a letter from last month;
"Because you are at 100% disability pay out all future health problems awarded will be listed as 0%, as the percentage determines the amount of payout/pension you will receive."
The vets in question know the % they are at that took them over 100%, i.e. if one of them was sitting at 88% and a claim came through for 20% , they now know they sit at 108%, however every claim after that just said , knee approved for treatment 0% etc.. I told them to complain to the ovo because every vet deserves the right to know theor % , even for just piece of mind. Here`s the kicker, it also says that if you are not happy with the decision, you have the right to appeal. How do you appeal 0%, i.e. if you knew the knee was assessed at 5% but based on VAC`s disability charts and the Dr. report the vet feels the knee is 15% they can appeal ith BPA/VRAB , but now it seems VAC is just throwing claims in the garbage after 100% and not even assigning them a percentage. It`s like "oh his back was injured in that truck rollover, but he`s already 100% , who cares"
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 608
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next