Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is there a cut off age for Rehab training.?

3 posters

Go down

Is there a cut off age for Rehab training.? Empty Re: Is there a cut off age for Rehab training.?

Post by Unknown Soldier Sat 23 May 2020, 00:46

johnny211 wrote:Unknown Soldier, Good day Brother. I went on Voc rehab, at the age of 53. After a lot of back and forth with my Cm, and I actually picked a couple of trades I would like. I contacted those industries myself, and did job shadow for a day at ea. I picked one, applied, and went to College for a yr. I have several disabilities, but ptsd, and it’s issues being the main one. School was a struggle at first, but got in the groove after a couple of mths. Graduated, got a great job.
   But then I found the high pace and pressure of the job, and my concentration sucked. The demons then returned, and it was hard to admit I could no longer work. I got my CM involved and pscy, and a few mths later was deemed TPI/DEC. So long story short, i did want to rtn to work at 54, but maybe if I picked a less mentally challenged job other then machinist, I may still be working. I’m not sure any of this helps, but don’t be pushed into a job, you don’t want or can handle if you proceed. VVV
thanks for the input, PTSD takes many forms, my injuries are head to toe, no real skills, but l find when you suggest to VAC that you’re too broken, they see you as bucking the system. We’ll see how it goes.
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 609
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

Is there a cut off age for Rehab training.? Empty Re: Is there a cut off age for Rehab training.?

Post by johnny211 Fri 22 May 2020, 16:26

Unknown Soldier, Good day Brother. I went on Voc rehab, at the age of 53. After a lot of back and forth with my Cm, and I actually picked a couple of trades I would like. I contacted those industries myself, and did job shadow for a day at ea. I picked one, applied, and went to College for a yr. I have several disabilities, but ptsd, and it’s issues being the main one. School was a struggle at first, but got in the groove after a couple of mths. Graduated, got a great job.
But then I found the high pace and pressure of the job, and my concentration sucked. The demons then returned, and it was hard to admit I could no longer work. I got my CM involved and pscy, and a few mths later was deemed TPI/DEC. So long story short, i did want to rtn to work at 54, but maybe if I picked a less mentally challenged job other then machinist, I may still be working. I’m not sure any of this helps, but don’t be pushed into a job, you don’t want or can handle if you proceed. VVV
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Fri 22 May 2020, 15:05

EZRider wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:Would VAC expect a 60 year old vet to go into trade training for 2years, maybe take a year to find a job, then work at the new skill for 2 years only to then retire.?

If you are approved IRB, you’ll be given an opportunity for any professional help you may need to rehab your mind or body, not just vocational rehab.
yes but isnt the end goal, return the veteran to the work force, isnt their an age where its, what's the point? Or let me rephrase the question, shouldnt a vets age filter in to whether they have a diminished earning capacity?
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by EZRider Fri 22 May 2020, 13:53

Unknown Soldier wrote:Would VAC expect a 60 year old vet to go into trade training for 2years, maybe take a year to find a job, then work at the new skill for 2 years only to then retire.?

If you are approved IRB, you’ll be given an opportunity for any professional help you may need to rehab your mind or body, not just vocational rehab.

EZRider
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2013-07-25

Back to top Go down

Is there a cut off age for Rehab training.? Empty Is there a cut off age for Rehab training.?

Post by Unknown Soldier Fri 22 May 2020, 11:53

Would VAC expect a 60 year old vet to go into trade training for 2years, maybe take a year to find a job, then work at the new skill for 2 years only to then retire.?
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down