Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yet Again, Class Action Shows That Class Action Lawsuits Are Mostly About Making Lawyers Rich

2 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Yet Again, Class Action Shows That Class Action Lawsuits Are Mostly About Making Lawyers Rich - Page 2 Empty Re: Yet Again, Class Action Shows That Class Action Lawsuits Are Mostly About Making Lawyers Rich

Post by bigrex Mon 17 Dec 2012, 20:52

CuffnLink. The residential school lawsuit clients were represented by two law firms. Each of them was awarded 40 million as part of the settlemnt from the Government. They may have been individual lawyers representing clients when they went for the additional awards for any abuse endured while at the school, but those lawyers were not part of the initial settlement amounts
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Yet Again, Class Action Shows That Class Action Lawsuits Are Mostly About Making Lawyers Rich - Page 2 Empty Re: Yet Again, Class Action Shows That Class Action Lawsuits Are Mostly About Making Lawyers Rich

Post by Guest Mon 17 Dec 2012, 20:50

LOL Big Rex,

Doc told me to take more!! Maybe there might be some reality at the end of those pills!!

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 17 Dec 2012, 20:47

Also when this lawsuit was initiated, there were only around 2000 clients identified, and the class has steadily grown over the years, so he didn't start out representing 7000 Veterans. Also, I doubt that he spent 10 hours of every day over the last five years battling the Government, and If anyone truly thinks he did, I would have to advise their Dr's to modify their meds.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Dec 2012, 20:45

Big rex
Residential School lawsuit where 2 law firms received 40 million each.?? That suit was 5 Billion- but many lawyers from a long list applied for settlement money. ....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Dec 2012, 20:43

Back silver did some math his trusty Calculator came up with a 35 Billion figures yes Billion!
He is CA for revenue Canada appointed by buddywhathisname

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 17 Dec 2012, 20:40

The judge will look at similar cases and decide what the fair percentage will be to be paid. That amount may be different than if he knew that the Government was paying the legal fees. Since there are only two other large class actions in Canadian history, they have set a sort of presidence. Those cases are the tainted blood lawsuit, where several law firms had to share the awarded legal fees of 47 million (3.5% of the settlement), and the Residential School lawsuit where 2 law firms received 40 million each. I'm not sure of the percentage, since that amount was agreed upon as part of the total settlement, but it certainly isn't even in the double digits, because even the lawyer said the settlement could reach 5 billion.

Also, the actual work performed by the lawyer doesn't really change, whether he is representing 100 clients or the 7000 clients. His legal argument didn't have to be changed, and the only real difference between class members is those who were, or would have been extended past the initial 24 months. So he had to get the Government to accept proxies to ensure they get reinstated ASAP, but once again, it didn't matter if this helped a single Veteran or a thousand, Peter's work would have been the same.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Dec 2012, 20:39

Backsilver, don't get me wrong, I think the lawyers deserve to be paid but my problem is this was a negioated settlement, the 30 percent number is way too high and without damages or legal fees its not worth it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Dec 2012, 20:31

I have an accounting position for u at Revenue Canada!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Dec 2012, 20:27

I know 35 billion is a lot but

4,745,000 per client for the five years
x 7,500 number of clients
+33215000000

Still come out with same number.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Dec 2012, 20:19

Recheck your numbers Backsilver .....you final number was over 35 billion!

All I want is people to reread this after the settlement is announced and what our law firm gets paid. Let see if our system is better than our american friends.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Dec 2012, 20:15

I am just putting some facts out there is all, not taking sides just showing some numbers.

Back

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Dec 2012, 20:12

No Problemo Peter,

I will pay you 4,745 000 Dollars to get me 18000 dollars retro
Seems like a good deal to me!

BackSilver thanks for your opinion

35,587,500,000- 35 Billions seems like a fair deal ...Check that calulator!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Dec 2012, 20:05

You know what, these lawyers put their career and livelihood on the line for us vets, therefore they deserve to get paid. If you look at the personell out there that tried to take on the GOC before you will notice they failed, therefore the fact that the firm has righted the wrong means in my mind they deserve to get paid.

How many other cases do you think Peter and his team have taken on in the last 5+ years, when were they getting paid for fighting the fight?

Please correct me if I am wrong but lawyers get paid by the hour, and if I had such a huge case like this do you think I had time to take on other cases to earn my bread for survival?

Peter and his team have sacrificed alot as well and in my eyes have earned a hefty pay check.

Lets see, 7500 clients he has taken on.

Low end hourly rate, $260/hour(not sure if this includes administrative staff or not)

60+ hours per week if not more, lets say 10 hour days, 7 days a week

5+ years of work

Plus incidentals, now time for a little math.

365(days) x 5(yrs) = 1825 days of work

1825(days) x 10(hrs) = 18,250 hours worth of work

18,250(hrs) x $260(rate of pay) = $4,745,000 for one person over the last 1825 days

7500(clients) x $4,745,000 = $35,587,500,000

After looking at these numbers I believe that the 30% lawyer fee is completely justifiable, look at the amount that they have LOST because they have taken on the GOC in best intrest of VETERANS.

Thank you again Peter and your team, not only have you paved the road for future Vets but you also took a hit for the VETS of today.

BACK

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Mon 17 Dec 2012, 20:04

Veteranvoice.info is privately funded!

We are not pro-lawyer either. What we are is a discussion forum and the topics I deleted about lawyers was because they were worded in very poor taste. That is not what the CSAT is for. We want opinions like what you wrote above.

Also if you have been following the CSAT, my postings in particular, I am trying to encourage everyone to contact their MP's, PM, TB and the media asking "why is it veterans have to pay a lawfirm to get money back that was stolen from them?"

Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next