Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legal Fees (Assorted Topics)

+27
oldsailor
Dove96
Wife of a Veteran
tiger660
1993firebird
sabrelove
ceedee
beleaf67
puddleduk2
DeeCee
Newfie
Rags
MaggieinNB
Nemo
meathead
pteadams2002
dennismanuge
froggie2u36
OldZipperhead
bigrex
sailor964
Sapper Zodiak
peep
acerman1234
K9
Teentitan
snrnavcom
31 posters

Page 28 of 67 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 47 ... 67  Next

Go down

Legal Fees (Assorted Topics) - Page 28 Empty Re: Legal Fees (Assorted Topics)

Post by Guest Sun 17 Mar 2013, 07:15

There is hundreds of cases in the usa that lawyers over charged and had fees reduced with arbitration or a follow up law suit. Are most cases are settled without public disclosure? Do we have that right to challenge fees on an individual bases once the court approves them?

Back to top Go down

Legal Fees (Assorted Topics) - Page 28 Empty Legal fees ...Do we get a bill to review ....We may need Arbitration

Post by Guest Sun 17 Mar 2013, 07:12

Bills, Bills, Bills
Many attorneys often skirt the edges of legal ethics when it comes to sending out legal bills. A normal bill could look something like this:

50 hours spent on case XYZ at $400 an hour

You owe: $20,000

Please pay immediately

However, you deserve to know what your attorney spent his time working on your case.

Carefully look at your bill. If you receive a bill that looks like the one above, you should demand an itemized accounting of all the time that your attorney spent on your case. Where exactly did those 50 hours go? If your attorney claims that he wrote a letter to opposing counsel for 4 hours, and the letter turned out to be 2 paragraphs long, you may want to seriously question your attorney's time management.

In addition, you should also compare your bill to the fee agreement that you and your attorney agreed on at the beginning of your representation. Be sure that your attorney is not charging, or over charging you for any items that were not listed in the fee agreement.

If your lawyer acted badly, don't pay the bill. If you feel like your attorney was negligent or engaged in malpractice, be sure not to pay him or her any money until the other dispute is settled. Likewise, if you feel that the bill is outrageous or that fees were included that should not have been, be sure to discuss these points with your attorney before handing over any payment.

Arbitration
There are times when disputes between you and your attorney just cannot be handled without some intervention. If you feel that you are in this situation, you may want to consider going to arbitration before heading to court. Arbitration is a procedure that is used to settle disputes between you and your attorney in the presence of a neutral, third-party.

Check your contract. Before considering arbitration, you should always carefully check your contract that you have with your attorney. Many times, these contracts include mandatory arbitration clauses for things like fee disputes, meaning you can't sue your attorney before going through arbitration.

Back to top Go down

Post by peep Sun 03 Mar 2013, 18:20

I'd hire someone to keep the hamsters away! Laughing
peep
peep
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 844
Registration date : 2012-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Mar 2013, 18:12

If that rumour comes true, id give up drinking and instead of the legion, I would start hanging out at the local Starbucks!

Back to top Go down

Post by Wife of a Veteran Sun 03 Mar 2013, 17:00

Last edited by Wife of a Veteran on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 20:20; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

Wife of a Veteran
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Mar 2013, 16:23

Peeps, you taking the corporate MC jet back? Lol, just joking wish you a safe Travel home!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Mar 2013, 14:53

peeps, safe travels with your 5 ferrets but word of advise, make sure you don't have any stowaway hamsters in your luggage Razz . I hope when you arrive in Canada, we will have some good news for you. All the best. Bon Voyage! And don't forget to pack a brush!

Miss E

Back to top Go down

Post by peep Sun 03 Mar 2013, 14:34

That would be Thursday. Miss Edna

I'll buy some beer
peep
peep
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 844
Registration date : 2012-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Zodiak Sun 03 Mar 2013, 13:14

People with no feedback glean whatever they can from Rumour and hearsay...I grow weary of these rumours and want this to all come to pass. Post haste.

Sapper Zodiak
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 963
Registration date : 2012-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Mar 2013, 13:07

Didn't MuckTuckAnnie say that on Mar 7th an announcement by Peter Mansbridge on CBC news announcing that the Feds will pay the legal fees of 12.8 mil I believe that was the suggestion. Let's hope this is true. Wouldn't that be the right thing to do for all the class.

Miss E

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Mar 2013, 12:46

Tomorrow is the beginning of week three, so here's hoping !

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Mar 2013, 11:33

Hopefully he or she returns and we just get on getting on with one another on csat. Respect is key and always a two way street so here's to hoping sunny . Meanwhile we wait for a decision from Justice Barnes.

Miss Edna

Back to top Go down

Post by Rags Sun 03 Mar 2013, 11:21

See we ran off MuckTuckAnnie and now csat is a quiet place without your humor and tidbits of information that he or she provided on a daily basis. Nav said to come back! I concur.

Miss Edna

No one ran off Grassshopper. They left as they always do after 1 or 2 posts that have no value and return as another avatar. The humor they stick i the middle of such foolish posts is just there to make ya think they are not being nasty.

So eventually grasshopper will return maybe this time a little more respectful and interested in making a valued contribution..... Smile Ya never know who Grasshopper will be. But when they return respectfully people will just accept them no problem.

Rags
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Mar 2013, 10:35

Hope you feel better soon RR.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Mar 2013, 10:29

Sure is quiet out there just want to inform you all have had a miserable bout of the nastiest flue of the bronchial type, On meds and rightfully so some may think Robbie should have never went off his meds lol, but I hope we hear something soon, a big shout out to my buddy Rucksack031 and our brother still thinking of you, and too my very very very proud Recon loved the pics and boy you have a wonderful looking family

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 67 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 47 ... 67  Next