Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legal Fees (Assorted Topics)

+27
oldsailor
Dove96
Wife of a Veteran
tiger660
1993firebird
sabrelove
ceedee
beleaf67
puddleduk2
DeeCee
Newfie
Rags
MaggieinNB
Nemo
meathead
pteadams2002
dennismanuge
froggie2u36
OldZipperhead
bigrex
sailor964
Sapper Zodiak
peep
acerman1234
K9
Teentitan
snrnavcom
31 posters

Page 50 of 67 Previous  1 ... 26 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Go down

Legal Fees (Assorted Topics) - Page 50 Empty Re: Legal Fees (Assorted Topics)

Post by Guest Mon 04 Feb 2013, 16:37

k-9 exactly this is just a negotiation between M/C and the judge.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by K9 Mon 04 Feb 2013, 16:31

Here is a tought, lets say the Federal Court decided thet the GOC would pay the fees, not hapening by the way, but just to look at things, lets say that GOC
Pays and the Judge decides how much, do you think the Federal Court or GOC would accept that a payout of that magnitude be accepted!

Never. So imagine having 7500 person paying them instead of 34 482 377 canadians.

The Judge is also here to protect the interest of the Class, whatever percentage was in the beginning.

It is normal that the fees asked by MC will be lowered, so that is why fees asked are at the high end, the Court would never give more then what was asked so this is the high end.

In the end, we will pay what the Court finds fair to us and to MC and I will be ok by that, but whoever want to speak their mind on fees should write and if possible come to Court and thank MC, Denis, Judge Barnes and all those who fought this fight.

I will do so!

Patrick.
K9
K9
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Feb 2013, 16:18

rags when you stated that fees could be lowered to 3-4% according to list of class actions over last 10 years........ what does this 3 or 4 % actualy mean is i wonder..... the lawyers say they only asking 7.5 when speaking to the judge... and they use those terms rather than stating 17.83 route with no touching of further payments.... so if its lowered to 3 or 4 percent will the lawyers do the same thing with that figure as they did to get 17.83...... if judge talks 3 or 4 percent .... because the lawyer talk and sugar coating will probably actual see about 10% taken retro and nothing from future payments... is that how it will work if jugde said 3 or 4.. i hope i havent lost my point trying to get answer too

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 04 Feb 2013, 16:16

I will be in attendance as well. I have been working on my letter and tweaking it and re-tweaking it. I do not want to stand in front of the judge and come off as uninformed or uneducated, which can happen when the emotions run high, so I need the letter that I read to be perfect.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4064
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Mon 04 Feb 2013, 16:05

mfors we are all in the same category...we are never to old to learn.

Glad my posting helped because a lot of postings on the CSAT have really changed my opinion/mind/decisions on many topics besides SISIP.

This is the true meaning and goal of the CSAT...learn something new.

I also agree with you that it would be wrong to have Dennis ask for lower fees. That is a pickle that he should never be put in.

Georges remember this 10 people are just as effective, if not more, than 1000 people.

Sometimes in situations like this less is better. So to the 10 do your best and let us know how it went.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3413
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Feb 2013, 16:01

rags agreed ive tried to get the point out months ago with limited sucsees.ya see its all down to the dollar value not % it just gets changed to that for fair division among the class.the judge will look at work done not time in years,quality of reprasentation,and risk.he will look at the praposed 65,000,000 against these criteria and either agree its fair ore disagree and change it to another dollar ammount and then convert that to a precentage.boys i could be wrong but from everything ive read this is how i see it.so no matter how big ore small this settlement is the only factor that will change the fees is the quality of representation so the ammount of leagal fees will not change much wether its 200,000,000 ore 500,000,000 so this would give a higher percentage of the former and lower of the later.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rags Mon 04 Feb 2013, 15:49

I will be there for sure with presentation Just finishing it up tonight and reviewing to make sure all the legal references are there and case law then i will send it. I will enjoy seeing Dennis shaking his hand and having a beer at the Granit to get a fresh Garrison

Rags
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Feb 2013, 15:44

mfors 2222 I totally agree it would be asking him to go against his wordI guess? He did his part now it's are turn!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Feb 2013, 15:42

rags I hope you make it to halifax, I chequed this morning we re now a total of!!!!!!! 10 yup 10 people HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Feb 2013, 15:41

now i am gonna agree with all class members stating what they feel how much fee go to lawyers....... however i will not agree for these opinions they they ask dennis to get in front of judge and get him to ask for less

Back to top Go down

Post by Rags Mon 04 Feb 2013, 15:38

If you go to the table of class actions and payouts over past 10 years you will find the under the 300k mark fees are generally 30% when you go up the award scale you will find the % lowers until ya get to the billion mark where the % awarded is on average 3 to 4% not 17%. We are at the 900million mark. Also awards are based on pay outs see my notes on lawyer Branch who wrote on this in books. If class is not easy to get money to % award goes up cause lawyers get paid on award which is payout no class guy asking for his check price goes down. In our case we have a 100% tracking system at SISIP and T4 slips and we are a small group who knew this was wrong and all stayed connected so payout in our case will be 100%. Thus % fee will be lower. 7% makes sense in 700 to 900k zone. Add me to class along with all in my boat and we push to 1 billion thus 3 to 4%.would be award. just thinking out loud.

Last edited by Rags on Mon 04 Feb 2013, 15:47; edited 1 time in total

Rags
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Feb 2013, 15:34

teentitan, you just made me aware of something.. i agree exactly what you just stated.. your definetly right fees not set in stone, all people writting letters are to influence how much paid... i would be glad to pay 17.83 but rather pay lower..... i need to keep top of my head that seeing the judge is not for who pays the fees but how much fees are gonna be..... your very right....i dont know why me thinking fees set in stone and me thinking seeing judge was for who pays fees............. its our only say

Back to top Go down

Legal Fees (Assorted Topics) - Page 50 Empty Shirlee.Engel@globalnews.ca

Post by Guest Mon 04 Feb 2013, 15:25

Let Shirlee know! We need more than us challenging this fee we need the media to take it on too....

Someone suggested capping at 25 milllion even that seems wickedly high!

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Mon 04 Feb 2013, 15:19

mfors here is the answer that actually is in your answer...look up the word negotiate...Dennis negotiated a fee with the lawyers of up to 30%...the lawyers are requesting 17%...we have the right to negotiate (the word you just looked up) further with Judge Barnes to lower the percentage more.

In other words lawyer fees are not or never were set in stone.

So if you are happy with paying 17%, which is your right and I respect it, then so be it.

But for us that are saying 17% is too high then you need to respect our opinion.

My opinion is I am not lowballing the lawfirm if I want the Judge to lower the fee to say 10%. That is still a large amount of money for the work the lawfirm put into this class action.

I told Peter he has the right to get as high a legal fee he can get. But I have the right to get as low of a legal fee I can get as well....it's called respect each others opinions and let the Judge decide what will be fair.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3413
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Feb 2013, 14:53

pretty simple recon, this is my side for your info.... my side i appreciate the work the lawyers done ..... its also the side we do not try to lowball fees that was negotiated between dennis and lawyers.... you may not agree with this one but GOV of canada pays for 4 years of lawsuit and we as a class pay 1 year of fees .. since this case lasted 5 years and they dragged on for 4 years longer than it shouldve taken......... yes i know what side i am on... the reasonable side..... what side you on? the ME side

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 50 of 67 Previous  1 ... 26 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 58 ... 67  Next