Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PIA, TPI and SISIP

+8
czerv
Vet1234
fuzzman121
Wife of a Veteran
pinger
bigrex
rucksack031
Teentitan
12 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

PIA, TPI and SISIP - Page 4 Empty Re: PIA, TPI and SISIP

Post by Nemo Mon 14 Nov 2016, 13:42

Permanent Impairment Allowance
The Permanent Impairment Allowance (PIA) is a taxable, monthly benefit—payable for life. The allowance is provided when your career options have been limited because of a service-related illness or injury.
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv Mon 14 Nov 2016, 11:32

Maybe it was asked before? Q: PIA is for life (read somewhare)... but if you get a job (any job) do they take it away?
Thanks

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Sun 13 Nov 2016, 22:28

If you have all the paperwork for PIA, TPI can be done in a week. Just had mine done, and I asked for the decision myself.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Nov 2016, 19:56

Fuzzman regarding how long it will take for determination is a hard one to answer, it's suppose to be between 16 to 24 weeks, some have gotten it approved before, while others later.
If your not signed up for my VAC account, I suggest you sign up as this will help you keep track of your benefits.

Your CM thinks you should apply for TPI, that is a good sign as your CM knows your circumstance and can support you in the application.
Also, if you do apply for TPI which I encourage you to do, you can have your CM push for you in speeding up the process.

Others who have recently applied for TPI may be able to give you a better timeline for approval.

Regarding you wanting to go back to school, that is a personal choice, and yes it could affect your benefits down the road.
You can search the forum to find members who have had difficulties in their schooling that affected their benefits.
If your over a 100% in your rated disabilities and are quite limited as stated, the school option may not be the best avenue to pursue. JMO

Back to top Go down

PIA, TPI and SISIP - Page 4 Empty TPI Process with VAC

Post by fuzzman121 Sun 13 Nov 2016, 17:52

Hi Everyone

New to this forum but a wealth of info on here so thanks to all of you. I am new to ELB which I am now receiving as well as the PIA from VAC. I am in the process of seeing some people VAC sent me to as my case manager also thinks I qualify for the TPI. I am rated over 100 % for my injuries so I am quite limited.  It's quite a long process and was wondering when they are done their assessments etc how long it will actually take VAC to make a determination? I have never had a problem with VAC in the past so just wondering who has been thru this process.

Also, I can be quite stubborn and minimize my injuries as I don't want to be held down by any diagnosis. If I wanted to go back to school and retrain would that impact any of these benefits going forward? BTW I am a 50 year old man and maybe best left to volunteering in some capacity.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

fuzzman121
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Wife of a Veteran Mon 26 May 2014, 20:51

I was informed that EIA was under the pension act and in order to be eligible for that then one must be pensioned at 98% or more. However, if one at a pensioned condition lower than the 98% and is in receipt of PIA, and then their condition worsens as they age they would be unable to switch from PIA to EIA.
At least as I was told.

Wife of a Veteran
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 May 2014, 17:31

thanks nav appiciate it buds. PIA has allways been for life again I think some may be getting mixed up between ELB and PIA.

Purpose

This policy provides guidance for the administration of the Permanent Impairment Allowance (PIA) and the PIA supplement.

Policy

General
1.The PIA was developed to recognize that severe permanent impairment may lead to economic loss with respect to employment potential and career advancement opportunities, and to compensate Canadian Forces (CF) Veterans for these losses.
2.For the purposes of this policy, the increase to the PIA legislated by subsection 38(3) of the Enhanced New Veterans Charter Act, which came into force October 3, 2011, will be described as the "PIA supplement."
3.The PIA and the PIA supplement are taxable, monthly allowances payable for life or until such time as the Veteran no longer meets the eligibility requirements for payment. The amount of PIA payable is based on the extent of the Veteran's permanent and severe impairment and the payment of the PIA supplement is based on whether the Veteran is totally and permanently incapacitated to the extent that prevents the Veteran from performing any occupation that would be considered to be suitable gainful employment.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 May 2014, 17:24

Propat, I heard the Veterans Ombudsman stating on radio show CHML on the weekend that one of his purposals was to extend PIA for life, I am no sure its for life right now, I do know that if you have EIA or have ever gotten EIA you cant get PIA, OH nice job on the RC form!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 May 2014, 17:16

neither do I maybe they were referring to ELB.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Wife of a Veteran Mon 26 May 2014, 16:48

I am not sure then why VAC would inform me of this.

Wife of a Veteran
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 May 2014, 16:45

wife of vet its for life.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Wife of a Veteran Mon 26 May 2014, 16:42

I was told recently that the PIA is only good till age 65 according to the NVC.

However the PIA was for life if under the older Pension Act, which was referred to as EIA.

??

Wife of a Veteran
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Wed 21 May 2014, 18:49

Hey MommyB, Like propat said, apply for the pia supplement as well. They are both for life. The policy documents for pia and the supp are here... http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/download/1092 . I am old pa, and tpi elb'd until 65 but my pia got denied...  scratch  Maybe if I fired Johnny Walker Red and the wife my pia would get approved.
Not to overwhelm you, and everyones sit. is different, but be aware of cpp(d) and it's ramifications when you turn 65. Echo bearing 080, range 1500 km, standby... apply,apply,apply.
pinger.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 May 2014, 14:07

mommy b don't forget to apply for the PIA supplement if you haven't already.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 21 May 2014, 13:42

Being deemed TPI is also required for the approval EELB, which is the term for extending ELB until 65 (or life, if the requested changes are made), if SISIP drops the ball. In fact, if ELB is automatic for anyone collecting PIA, I cannot see to many people choosing to stay on SISIP, if the recommended changes are made, unless the SISIP policy is changed as well. I could see happening, but not right away.

Well according to the HoC website, the committee is still writing the draft report on the NVC, so with the MP's pending summer break, it is not likely going to be finished, passed up the chain, and acted upon, until at least the Fall.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next