Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hope

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Hope - Page 2 Empty Hope

Post by Guest Fri 17 Jul 2015, 02:30

My husband served Canada, for almost 20 years.
When he became sick, the Military fought to dismiss him.

Like the trooper he was, my husband did everything in his power to stay and fight the good fight.
He volunteered for everything, even Afghanistan. He was denied.
It wasn't a ruse, he wanted to go.

Before his release, even though we didn't have much, he spent his entire (final year) Christmas pay to ensure needy families had Christmas dinner. I'm not talking about the families that the Salvation Army takes care of, but the ones the Salvation Army said they couldn't help. My husband stepped up. He made sure the children in those families had a good Christmas.

When he was released, he continued to help the community in every way he could.

As he became sicker, he helped less and less. Ultimately, I think that was when his spirit was finally broken. There came a day when he could no longer serve.
He died a broken man.

There is a long standing history of veterans in this country, being broken down by a system that doesn't respect their service, a system that doesn't see them for the selfless ways they conducted themselves every day when in uniform, and every day since.

I've seen personal stories and grievances over the months since coming to this forum. Many are truly heartbreaking. I have no meaningful words to express it...

While waiting for a claim to be adjucated, I was beginning to lose hope.

Then, this past week, my claim was finished. It was all done, all good... like ripping a bandaid off a long-festering wound and kissing it better. It was over.

While one good ending is not an indication of things to come, it IS hope for those still waiting. VA is fighting cutbacks and red tape, but they are still fighting for you. There are still some good people there.

You've had a rough road to travel, and only you will ever know just how hard it was. But there is hope.

Never give up. Never give in. Never be broken.

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2