Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Assorted Merged Stored Topics

+18
peep
Wife of a Veteran
DeeCee
MaggieinNB
ceedee
RCN-Retired
beleaf67
sailor964
froggie2u36
Rags
Sapper Zodiak
pteadams2002
acerman1234
dennismanuge
K9
OldZipperhead
bigrex
Teentitan
22 posters

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Assorted Merged Stored Topics - Page 39 Empty Re: Assorted Merged Stored Topics

Post by OldZipperhead Thu 22 Nov 2012, 21:17

Robbie- I like where your head is at and I believe you have stated the case for many of us!
OldZipperhead
OldZipperhead
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2012-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Nov 2012, 19:43

Well gentlemen I have no idea how to comprehend what is legal law, moral law or for that matter ethical law. In any case I as an undeniably disabled veteran like many here have suffered far greater woe’s than losing a sizable amount of an award to being taxed. I do know that had my life insurance provider actually provided me with my taxable benefits from the start I would not have had to swallow a ton of debt to assume a life of absolute poverty. I hope that the government understands that with the settlement “back pay” that many of us will not even break even and in fact most will have to start over and for some of us that means for the first time in our fifties we will be where we should have been when we first signed up to defend our country 30 years ago. This whole thing is idiotic and my quality of life has been absolutely destroyed by a policy that meant nothing. If I had my way I would take my money and refuse to pay the taxes I want the government to take away everything once again and then jail me and throw the book at me, but this time do in front of a nation and not hidden like all these years of BS and hidden lies. On the grounds of placing any citizen in any morally, ethically, financial or otherwise position of hardship is a crime in it’s self. By admitting the policy was wrong then correcting a wrong by complete absolution is the only course the GOC should take. Free the dollar Steven and pay the VETERANS Tax Free.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Nov 2012, 19:02

it was a good idea though navrat dont stop thinking.
propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Nov 2012, 18:59

There's no doubt morally the GOC owes more than can be paid to us but from what the lawyers have been saying it seems the GOC is only going to give the bare minimum required under law, I for one can't understand why they have taken such a hard line with us, I wonder if we will even get a sorry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Nov 2012, 18:55

the lawyers would need to have framed the case a different way than the case looks at first glance.i dont think they did that as they were talking about notional top up.i belive they dindnt do it becouse Surrogatum Principle would make this difficult if not impossable.boys i really dont this has legs.ok now my brain really hurts.
propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Thu 22 Nov 2012, 18:47

Sorry Rex but morality takes a back seat to law all the time everytime.

Morale law only applies at the gates of heaven when St. Peter checks out your scorecard.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Nov 2012, 18:46

Unlike punitive damages, aggravated and exemplary damages are intended to compensate a plaintiff. Such damages are typically taxed in a manner consistent with the underlying damages to which they relate.

not sure that helps ore not my frakin brain hurts
propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Nov 2012, 18:44

Just trying to throw out ideas on how we can get this GOC to somehow put more dollars in each of our pockets. I emailed Peter with this suggestion, but us not having to pay income tax would be , in my opinion a very big winning point for us, and like Big Rex said in a previous post, our payout will incur GST when we spend it so they will have partial recovery of the money

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 22 Nov 2012, 18:38

Punitive and exemplary damages are tax free. The money was income replacement when it was initially supposed to be paid, but now it should be classified as punitive damages, to punish the Government for the years of hardship that the clawback caused each and every one of us. Telling them that they simply can get away with paying us back our own money, then getting to tax that money, is simply not right and hopefully the judge takes into consider the moral obligations to the class, and not just the legal ones.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Nov 2012, 18:20

navrat only some damages are non taxable in canada and income lost replacement is not one of them.i also belive are retro will be called damages.that being said its still a good idea in its premis however: can they make it a non taxable damage?will they make it a non taxable damage?
say punitive probably not.hmmmmm gata go look see what else is out their.
propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Thu 22 Nov 2012, 18:01

Nav that's a good question to send to Peter.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Nov 2012, 18:00

Can we ask that the entire retro be awarded as damages in name only. I believe if the GOC did this , it would exempt the entire amount from income taxes ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Thu 22 Nov 2012, 17:49

From Navrat

Teen , When the settlement does come down, once we have studied it, and come to some sort of agreements , whether it's a good deal or bad, Would it not be an idea that us here on VVi present the court with a united front, You are alot better than alot of us at drafting an official VVi response to the agreement. Would not a united and official response representing the CSAT/VVi make a bigger impact than all our individual responses? Just an idea but this thing is like 2 weeks away and maybe we should come up with ideas as to what matters with this agreement and what is acceptable?
Navrat out.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Thu 22 Nov 2012, 17:48

Another one from OldZipperhead

After decades of the Government of Canada unlawfully clawing back the SISIP Long Term Disability (LTD) payments from Canada’s veterans, both military and RCMP: that the veterans are once again going to be taken advantage of by the Government of Canada, by having to pay for the legal fees from their rightful LTD payments.

If the Government of Canada had not conducted this illegal action, legal fees would never have become an issue and the class action would never have taken place, because the veterans would have been taken care of from the start. It was only at the perseverance of a few veterans that finally fought and won a legal battle against the very Government that they, the veterans, had served in uniform.

The consecutive Governments of Canada (Liberal & Conservative) over the past 40 years should accept the responsibility for conducting such an illegal action against its veterans and do what is right by paying the legal fees and not have it come from the class action itself.

The Government of Canada should become the government that all veterans can be proud to have served!
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Thu 22 Nov 2012, 17:48

One from Jeffrey M.

Entitlements, have become Benefits.
There is NO benefit in death, so why a Death Benefit?? It IS death compensation.
Accidental Dismemberment Policy. There is nothing ACCIDENTAL, about being blown up by the Taliban. Death and dismemberment came to many due to MURDER/ATTEMPTED MURDED, and nothing less.
The last Victoria Cross was awarded in 1945. We do not praise ourselves as many countries have thru the Afghan war. The VC was awarded to Canadians during WW2, when the British Empire determined our VC Winners.

We have brought all of this on ourselves.
Benefits, must become Compensation once again.
One Veteran, One Standard.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next