Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can anyone dispute that the liberal government so far seems to be miles ahead of the Conservatives.

+3
Teentitan
bigrex
1sea0shell33
7 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Can anyone dispute that the liberal government so far seems to be miles ahead of the Conservatives. - Page 3 Empty Re: Can anyone dispute that the liberal government so far seems to be miles ahead of the Conservatives.

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2016, 16:33

Compare, one is blue the other is red.

Compare lies, one lies more, the other lies less.

Compare my wait time for the problem being fixed!!! Same old.

Back to top Go down

Can anyone dispute that the liberal government so far seems to be miles ahead of the Conservatives. - Page 3 Empty Re: Can anyone dispute that the liberal government so far seems to be miles ahead of the Conservatives.

Post by Teentitan Sun 18 Sep 2016, 14:45

The way I read it is the Cons were going to allow a vet to make $10k a year before the rules for ELB reduction starts when employed.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 18 Sep 2016, 14:31

I'm not sure where that would have been applied. The only program that deducts employment earnings is ELB, and it deducts 100% of any salary you make unless participating in the rehab program. Otherwise it only deducts 50%, unless the ELB amount, and the earnings do not exceed your imputed income ( the 100% pre-release salary, plus COLA). I can not find any reference to someone being able to earn up to $XXXX per year, before having money deducted from benefits.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Sun 18 Sep 2016, 10:45

WHat ever happened to being able to earn up to $10,000 without effecting benefits...

http://www.conservative.ca/harper-conservatives-to-improve-benefit-for-military-veterans/

That's something I'd like to see.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sun 18 Sep 2016, 10:28

Rex read the title of the thread...it's a comparison of the Libs and Cons. So I answered accordingly. And like I said let's not start another political argument. That can be done during the next election ok?

Seashell you can't say that about O'Toole because they didn't get elected. I can say in a conversation I had with O'Toole they were listening to the Standing Committee Report and the negotiations with Equitas and were working on improving benefits. Was some of those improvements increasing ELB? Can't say yes or no.

You are correct the Cons would never have brought back the lifelong pension, I even heard it said by O'Toole himself. The NDP would never have brought it back either and they promised to stop the CPP clawback of pensions and balked.

I hope the promises made by Trudeau do come to fruition but like propat said are they just liars like the last ones?
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1sea0shell33 Sun 18 Sep 2016, 10:03

Alot of people are saying that if the Cons were reelected and veteran affairs under Mr.Otoole there would never have been an increase in the elb oweing to the fact that Otoole believed that it would discourage vetetans attempting to go back to work. Also alot of people are saying never ever would a life time pension even be discussed. So IMO the improvements are coming and hopefully more are in that sunny ways this government is now known as.

1sea0shell33
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2016-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2016, 06:59

yup better off with the libs BUT that doesn't matter anymore they are just a cheating lying government like the last one . we just went from harper to" harper lite " that's all .just as evil but with only half the evil appearance .... enjoy responsibly ... its time to start calling for his resignation .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 18 Sep 2016, 01:50

Teen, what happened in the past, good or bad, is in the past. I'm strictly looking at whether the Liberal were the right choice for the next 3 years, compared to what improvements we could have had under the Tories, or even the NDP. So based solely on the election promises, the Liberals altered and or delayed promises are still 100% better than the Tories promise of doing nothing. We can't guess about things that they didn't talk about before or during the election. So we know that they didn't talk about improving ELB. They did talk about reinstating life long pensions, but only to say that was not going to happen under their watch. So like it or not, we are stuck with the Liberals for at least 3 more years, and if I do not feel that they lived up to their own expectations, they can be replaced again.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sat 17 Sep 2016, 23:06

Well here's some initials that were not in the original Liberal NVC benefits back in 2006:
EELB, PIA, PIAS, RISB, CIB, Widows Benefit, Home Care Benefits, VIP grants

Dropped the Manuge lawsuit and settled it.  Oh and included the school grant for vets kids without being asked.  Not to mention the Crown lawyers helped us lower McInness Coopers fees.

As for the Equitas lawsuit the Cons agreed to the 1 year break.  Removing the DoJ litigator to allow the NDP's sacred obligation bill that was passed by all parties.  Yet the Libs have reinstated the same litigator to fight the sacred obligation.

The increase to the LSA was not a Liberal idea...it was a court mandated instruction, from the Equitas lawsuit, to increase the LSA to the Canadian Average and backdate it to 2006.

As for ELB increase we don't know if the Cons were going to do it because of the election.  So yes this is a Lib move.

But yeah the Libs are waayy ahead of what the Cons have done.

Back in court with Equitas, another class action lawsuit about to start in January, delays on the lifelong pension, no word on when the 4 years of schooling will start, the 2 wellness centre's, and not being all that transparent and open.  Oh and the Minister who also holds an associate Minister of National Defence position hasn't even uttered a word about letting the TB and PMO to not give the bump to LTD for vets.

Sometimes vets have a bad memory when it comes to history.  I'm not saying the Cons were better I'm just saying check your history first.  Or at least wait until the Liberal term is over before a political argument gets started....again.

And don't even mention the 9 DO's they are going to open because the  150 employees on top of the 250 employees the Cons were hiring are going to these offices and they aren't even fully staffed offices.  A typical DO has 35-40 employees so do the math for 9.  Some are and will be satellite offices but hey the summer tour Hehr just went on didn't identify which ones were going to be satellite offices.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 17 Sep 2016, 19:32

As upset as many are with the Liberals, and rightfully so, I doubt that even the NDP would have been any better. I know that the Tories nor the NDP, would have never even looked at increasing or replacing the LSA, let alone both.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Sep 2016, 19:22

Good question, in my opinion no better, no worse.

Regarding the ELB increase, if they would not have lowered the minimum set rate, the ELB increase would have been in my opinion  a far better promise and perhaps may have offered more praise among the Veteran community. The promise stated to increase the ELB by 15%, Not lower the base minimum which leaves a lot of Veterans not seeing the 15% increase. It's a sneaky move meant to give the illusion that everyone receiving ELB will receive a 15% increase, not the case, so I give this a fail.

The DA increase and the supplementary payment is another failed promise, $360,000 is not high enough to compare to other Countries lump sum awards. The waiting until 2017 is another fail, the lack of confirmation on the calculation of the supplementary payment is another fail.

The re opening of the offices should have not been a priority, the reason it was made a priority was to create jobs and give our Minister his photo op dream come true, another fail.

The lack of movement on the lifelong pension, the lack of transparency surrounding what is happening with the lifelong pension and not making this the no#1 priority is another fail.

The ordeal surrounding the governments actions concerning the Equitas suit is an absolute fail.

Passing everything to the bureaucrats without controlling the bureaucrats is another fail.

Using Veterans and Veterans groups as PR puppets in assembling the advisory groups, and holding stakeholder meetings is another fail.

So far I have not seen anything that puts the Liberals over the Conservatives, and vice versa, the Conservatives over the Liberals. JMO

Back to top Go down

Post by 1sea0shell33 Sat 17 Sep 2016, 19:12

Just wanted to see what everyone was thinking. Its a gòod start

1sea0shell33
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Sep 2016, 18:47

I agree with you Sea Shell that the Cons were never going to raise the ELB.
JMHO

Back to top Go down

Post by 1sea0shell33 Sat 17 Sep 2016, 18:41

The Cons werent going to raise the elb

1sea0shell33
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Can anyone dispute that the liberal government so far seems to be miles ahead of the Conservatives. - Page 3 Empty Can anyone dispute that the liberal government so far seems to be miles ahead of the Conservatives.

Post by 1sea0shell33 Sat 17 Sep 2016, 18:40

Just with this increase alone i believe the liberals are ahead. JMO

1sea0shell33
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3