Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disability Award - PTSD

+2
prawnstar
Yump5555
6 posters

Go down

Disability Award - PTSD  Empty Waiting

Post by Old Army Guy Mon 05 Feb 2018, 04:26

prawnstar wrote:Welcome Yump. Not sure how they get what the 10% is. They want to re-evaluate your conditions after 8 months so they can determine what the final numbers will be, I think. Good for you for getting what you have so far. CPPD and CRA disability tax credit should be your next move.

I received my 10%, then waited 15 months to do my 2nd assessment. After a month my vac account says stage 2. But what if they determine I’m not stabile yet? Do I have to wait another year or so, do another assessment? And then what if I’m not yet deemed stable then? This could go on for ever?

Old Army Guy
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2017-03-19

Back to top Go down

Disability Award - PTSD  Empty Re: Disability Award - PTSD

Post by Vet1234 Tue 10 Jan 2017, 17:45

You can ask for a reassessment at any time, but if it has been less than 24 months from the date of your last psych assessment, they may deny/defer your claim and ask for another psych evaluation when you are stabilized.
If you think you're ready( it's been 2 years since last application, condition worsened, or psych/doctor says you are unable to work/attend school) start your application online through MyVac under applications. When they get to your file, which may be a few months, they will mail you forms for your Dr. to fill out, as well as a Quality Of Life Questionnaire for you to fill out and return. You will need to make a psych appointment and have your Dr. fill out his portion, and you can actually find the QOL form on MyVac and submit it online.
I applied for a reassessment on August 4, 2016. I'm at stage 3 of 4 awaiting adjudication. They are still atleast 2 months behind. So around 8 mths from application to decision.
They are very backlogged currently
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Tue 10 Jan 2017, 17:34

Hi Yump - in my case they sent me the reassessment forms after a year, if memory serves me right. Then I took them to the same psyc who did my first assessment, then one I still see. Did all the same assessment forms again, and she sent them in for me. I am TPI at 100 percent. It is near the 2 year mark. Some on here have done another reassessment at that timeframe, but I think when one is TPI, the reassessments come to an end. One would hope. Johnny, Out. VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Yump5555 Tue 10 Jan 2017, 15:50

Since you guys have been through the reassessment for PTSD...what is done after the time-frame they are looking for the stability. Are you required to fill out another application or do they send out a form for the Dr, psychologist etc.... and if that is the case how long does it take for the reassessment to be awarded a disability percentage.

Yump5555
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2017-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 10 Jan 2017, 07:55

I agree that it is confusing, but for every Veteran who loses out on the calculation, there are Vets who benefit. To me the thing that needs to go is the 1-5/5ths calculation. It is completely arbitrary, and there is no real defense if they want to reduce that calculation.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jan 2017, 23:58

Very true Rex in what you said, VAC plays a lot of angles to their advantage.

My pet peeve is the round up or round down.  If I get a six percent award I think I should get the full amount not five percent.  Who made this rule out of thin air and VAC follows it. They owe me money from the true calculations. Just imagine if I said to Mr.Bank manager, nah six percent is really five percent on my loan.  If he ask why would I believe that?  I would say please ask the VAC accountants and they will show the right way to rip military memebers off.  Do things only happen to us in the Veteran community because no one with real power regulates VAC and SSIP.

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Mon 09 Jan 2017, 19:40

Bigrex - I never even thought of that, your much better at the math then me. Ya, it's all about the bean counters. The retro will be another sneaky work of numbers also I'm sure. Johnny Out,,,VVV,,,
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 09 Jan 2017, 19:06

Johnny, another way they save money is say that initial 10% equaled roughly $30000. making 50% roughly $150000. Then a year later, when the assessment is increased to 50%, you would think that they would pay you the current amount at 50%, minus the previous payment. $150000 + 1.3 COLA = 151950 - $30000 leaving a balance owing of $121950. Instead they pay the current rate of a 40% award of $121560, saving themselves $400 dollars simply by the way they do the calculations.

I've received 3 lump sum payments, in 2008, 2012 and the last one being paid last year, bringing me up to 25% under the NVC. But instead of being paid at the full 25% rate for 2016, which was $77600, minus the previous payments, I've only been paid a total of just over $71000.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Mon 09 Jan 2017, 12:08

Bigrex - great points. I too was given 10 percent, then went up to 50, a year or so later. But I never thought of it that way, but everyone I talk to started at 10. Another cost savings for the gov, as you said.
Johnny Out,,VVV
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 08 Jan 2017, 23:06

It is is because it can take a significant amount of time to become stabilized, and VAC received a lot of flack for letting those suffering from PTSD to go without financial support for so long while waiting for the final word from their mental health team. So they came up with the scheme to pay 10% up front, and then let the Veteran undergo the necessary treatments. They called it a compassionate move, but it was actually a cost savings measure. If VAC based their award on the symptoms when the application was made, they would likely all be on the higher end of the spectrum. But by getting that initial 10%, and then getting intensive treatment, the symptoms are likely better managed after those several months, and thus the final assessment could be significantly lower.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Yump5555 Sat 07 Jan 2017, 16:41

Thanks for the quick reply guys. I figured that the initial 10% was something that would be tough to apply to the actual table of disabilities but hopefully the "final" award will be based on the table.

Yump5555
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jan 2017, 16:34

Yump, Prawnstar is right. In regards to your PTSD/Major Depressive Disorder/Generalized Anxiety Disorder it's standard way of dealing with the award amount. I went thru the same procedure with VAC, got 10% for initial award and ended up with a 30% award.  Keep your appointments and meds in order and within a year you will get your increase. You will need a support group to deal with your situation and I find this forum is good for that.  You can make good friends here.

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar Sat 07 Jan 2017, 16:21

Welcome Yump. Not sure how they get what the 10% is. They want to re-evaluate your conditions after 8 months so they can determine what the final numbers will be, I think. Good for you for getting what you have so far. CPPD and CRA disability tax credit should be your next move.

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Disability Award - PTSD  Empty Disability Award - PTSD

Post by Yump5555 Sat 07 Jan 2017, 15:01

Looking for some quick information. I was recently awarded 52% Disability Award (5/5th) for Meniere's Disease/Hearing Loss/Tinnitus and 10% (initial) Disability Award (4/5th) for PTSD/Major Depressive Disorder/Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Total Disability Award of 62% (paid out at 60%). Currently in receipt of EELB, PIA (Level 2), VIP and FCRB. The question I have is how does the followup for the Depressive Disorders occur. I was advised in my letter that I would be reassessed in 8 months (stabilized timeframe). What exactly do they mean by stabilized and how did the initial 10% arise from the Table of Disabilities. Just stumbled upon this site and really learning alot. Very Happy

Yump5555
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down