Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SISIP vs VAC VOC Rehab

+2
bigrex
HappyWithYourHacky
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SISIP vs VAC VOC Rehab Empty Re: SISIP vs VAC VOC Rehab

Post by bigrex Wed 17 Jan 2018, 19:12

I released in 2006, and did the two years on SISIP. Once that ended, and they said that I wasn't disabled enough to continue, I was forced to work. After 4 years, when I physically couldn't even get out of bed for a day or two, after each shift, I was placed on the rehab program, ELB, PIA and PIAS. And because I was too disabled to be retrained, VAC paid for my wife to go through schooling, when she was ready.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Tactical Snoopy Wed 17 Jan 2018, 16:56

bigrex wrote:VAC rehab program will reimburse the costs for a computer, any books and required supplies needed, as well as gas money and parking costs while going to school. My wife just went through a 2 year college course through VAC, then they paid for two summer courses, that would make her resume stand out compared to her classmates . She has been working since September, yet her rehab program doesn't end for a few months, and still gets called by her case worker.

Compare that to my experience with SISIP, who decided that because I would be limited to working in an office, due to my severe physical limitations, all they would pay for, was some courses on basic MS Office programs, like Word. There was no discussion about finding an actual possible career that I could be suited for, like maybe a paralegal. Then once I moved into the job search phase, when I told CM that I wanted her to focus on my immediate area, because I wasn't able to sit on a bus for several hours getting to and from work, she got pissed off, saying that I was obviously not serious about working, and closed my file. I have never heard from them since.

So needless to say, IMHO, if you have the choice of which Voc Rehab program to apply for, SISIP or VAC, I would recommend VAC in a heartbeat, every time.

VAC definitely has the better support between the two...one can even complete a degree under them. I have contacted VAC and they won't even entertain anything until my two year period with SISIP is up. Was this the same for your wife? As in, was she two years post-release before getting approved for VAC Voc Rehab?

Tactical Snoopy
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2017-12-17

http://tacticode.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 17 Jan 2018, 09:30

VAC rehab program will reimburse the costs for a computer, any books and required supplies needed, as well as gas money and parking costs while going to school. My wife just went through a 2 year college course through VAC, then they paid for two summer courses, that would make her resume stand out compared to her classmates . She has been working since September, yet her rehab program doesn't end for a few months, and still gets called by her case worker.

Compare that to my experience with SISIP, who decided that because I would be limited to working in an office, due to my severe physical limitations, all they would pay for, was some courses on basic MS Office programs, like Word. There was no discussion about finding an actual possible career that I could be suited for, like maybe a paralegal. Then once I moved into the job search phase, when I told CM that I wanted her to focus on my immediate area, because I wasn't able to sit on a bus for several hours getting to and from work, she got pissed off, saying that I was obviously not serious about working, and closed my file. I have never heard from them since.

So needless to say, IMHO, if you have the choice of which Voc Rehab program to apply for, SISIP or VAC, I would recommend VAC in a heartbeat, every time.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Three3eight Wed 17 Jan 2018, 01:06

Thanks

Three3eight
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Tactical Snoopy Tue 16 Jan 2018, 17:10

SISIP can cover your 6 months of education under a VRPSM under certain conditions. Id talk to a SISIP rep about your specific situation. You can also set up an ILP for Ill and Injured. You need to pay for your courses upfront and will get reimbursed upon successful completion. SISIP will not pay for a laptop though they will lend you up to $3000 at 0% for school-related purchases.

Hope this helps.

Three3eight wrote:Hey all, yes or no.
Does SISIP pay for your schooling up front.
Or do you pay?
I need a new laptop for online schooling, will they pay for that also?
🍻
I'm 6 months to a 3B release.
I want to take some schooling prior to my release.  A 6 month online course
I've submitted the paperwork for SISIP Voc rehab.  Everything is online, with in my MEL's.
JPSU has no idea if they pay for your schooling and supplies up front.  These guys are driving me insane.
Does anyone have experience they can share on this matter?

Tactical Snoopy
CSAT Member

Registration date : 2017-12-17

http://tacticode.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by bosn181 Tue 16 Jan 2018, 16:12

when sisip offered me to go back to shcool they offered to pay for everything including computer but seeing i could not sit in a classroom for 8 hrs a day due to my injuries, they turned around and said i meet the criteria for long term disability and instead of getting it for 2 years been on ltd for over 10 years and will continue to get until 65. as well my doc recommended not returning to work but they did offer to pay for what ever it took to get me to go to school and not end up on ltd

bosn181
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2017-01-25

Back to top Go down

SISIP vs VAC VOC Rehab Empty SISIP voc rehab question

Post by Three3eight Tue 16 Jan 2018, 15:19

Hey all, yes or no.
Does SISIP pay for your schooling up front.
Or do you pay?
I need a new laptop for online schooling, will they pay for that also?
🍻
I'm 6 months to a 3B release.
I want to take some schooling prior to my release. A 6 month online course
I've submitted the paperwork for SISIP Voc rehab. Everything is online, with in my MEL's.
JPSU has no idea if they pay for your schooling and supplies up front. These guys are driving me insane.
Does anyone have experience they can share on this matter?

Last edited by Three3eight on Tue 16 Jan 2018, 16:36; edited 1 time in total

Three3eight
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyWithYourHacky Tue 03 Oct 2017, 21:43

HappyWithYourHacky wrote:
Teager wrote:I wasn't saying you couldn't apply for vacs Voc rehab just you would not be entitled to the education portion until you are off sisip. I agree and I also applied to the entire vac Voc rehab program.

I'm wondering if they will eliminate sisip payment with the new education benefit? It seems very unfair for a Non injured vet with 6 years to get $40k in education with no restrictions on what they take in school versus a vet with 6 years on sisip with only $25k and lots of hoops to jump through.

Thanks Teager,

I am also very interested in the new education benefit and if it will be available to medically releasing members. The proposed amounts open up so many more doors past a 25000 SISIP cap which will create issues with my preferred educational route.

There is actually a bit of clarification on the Veterans.gc.ca FAQ Page. Not sure how SISIP VOC Rehab affects things but either way, it appears medically releasing members will have access.

Q17. Are Veterans who are in the Rehabilitation Services and Vocational Assistance Program eligible for the new Education and Training Benefit?

The Education and Training Benefit cannot be paid during a Veteran’s participation in the Rehabilitation Service and Vocational Assistance Program. However, an eligible Veteran could receive the Education and Training Benefit either before or after his or her participation in the Rehabilitation Services and Vocational Assistance program.
Eligible Veterans who released between April 1, 2005 and March 31, 2018 will have up until March 31, 2028 to receive funding under the Education and Training Benefit. Eligible Veterans who release after April 1, 2018 will have ten years from the date of their release to receive funding under this program.

HappyWithYourHacky
CSAT Member

Registration date : 2017-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyWithYourHacky Tue 03 Oct 2017, 21:17

Teager wrote:I wasn't saying you couldn't apply for vacs Voc rehab just you would not be entitled to the education portion until you are off sisip. I agree and I also applied to the entire vac Voc rehab program.

I'm wondering if they will eliminate sisip payment with the new education benefit? It seems very unfair for a Non injured vet with 6 years to get $40k in education with no restrictions on what they take in school versus a vet with 6 years on sisip with only $25k and lots of hoops to jump through.

Thanks Teager,

I am also very interested in the new education benefit and if it will be available to medically releasing members. The proposed amounts open up so many more doors past a 25000 SISIP cap which will create issues with my preferred educational route.

HappyWithYourHacky
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Oct 2017, 16:32

You never know with SISIP, they took away the for life benefit, they never increased it to 90% like the ELB. The yearly medicals sucks.

Regarding the the education benefit that comes into effect April 01, 2018, I think it's good that they are doing things for the non injured Veterans, but it bothers me to see them advertise such implementations as an across the board benefit. In other words they are using a lot of new implementations that is going to Veterans, as improvements to it's disabled Veterans. They refer all of the changes as it relates to the New Veterans Charter, the New Veterans Charter that replaced the old pension act. Transition from service to civilian for non injured Veterans should not be put into the same category as injured Veterans. Veterans who are injured, and the benefits that come into force for the injured, should be kept in the injured category. So when you look at what is being implemented in the New Veterans Charter, only the implementations that directly relate to service injury should be compared to the old pension act, all other implementations should be looked at as regular service release that does not reflect benefits that relates to disability from service. Both the Conservatives and the Liberals have been selling the Idea to all Canadians that all of these improvements reflect the merits of the NVC. This again is a tactic used by our government to give the impression that the New Veterans Charter, is better than the old pension act. Nothing can be further from the truth!

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Mon 02 Oct 2017, 15:59

I wasn't saying you couldn't apply for vacs Voc rehab just you would not be entitled to the education portion until you are off sisip. I agree and I also applied to the entire vac Voc rehab program.

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Oct 2017, 15:39

Teager,

Nowhere in the policy does it state you cannot apply for rehab under VAC while on SISIP.

You cannot access both at the same time, but it is always best to have all angles covered. An example of this would be where SISIP clears you out after two years, you have VAC to fall back on. In today's world, I think VAC rehab would be better than SISIP. SISIP's policy is more intense then that of VAC. If the rehab is not completed because of health reasons, with VAC you can get the ELB at 90%, the CIA, DEC and the CIA Supplement. SISIP only goes to 75%, you need to apply with VAC for the other 15%. SISIP's yearly medical policy adds stress to it's clients. So the bottom line I think would be to apply for everything that's available for application, regardless of what your told from your transition.

Another thing to keep in mind here is that he is being released on a 3b.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Mon 02 Oct 2017, 14:00

Having just gone through all this I can say that while you are with SISIP you cannot get education benefits under Voc rehab. It is stated within VACs policy. If you choose not to accept Sisips retraining you can then have access to VACs education training after the 2 years and only if sisip deems you no longer on LTD. You should also note sisip has A max of $25k for retraining and you cannot pay the difference if your program is more. The thing that really throws a wrench into everything is the new education benefit for all members finishing 6 years and receiving up to $40k or 12 years and getting a max of $80k. This benefit allows you to take what you want without having all the tests and people trying to tell you what to take. It comes into effect April 1st 2018. If sisip decides to keep you on LTD benefits you can take as long as you want to complete school a sling as it's reasonable and stays within the $25k.

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyWithYourHacky Sat 30 Sep 2017, 23:32

Thank you both for the clarification. It's much appreciated!

HappyWithYourHacky
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 30 Sep 2017, 20:04

HappyWithYourHacky wrote:Hey everyone,

I am headed towards 3b release due to injuries sustained in the forces. I am expecting to be released Aug 2018.

SISIP VOC rehab covers you for two years of education. I need three years of college to accomplish my goals. I have heard of vets getting a full degree in university covered under VAC Voc Rehab with one fellow getting 6 years of university education approved. Now from what I understand, one can only access the VAC VOC Rehab after the SISIP two year period has expired. So my question is, can I combine both services to accomplish my goal of a three year program?

Thanks in advance for your time!

Happy

SISIP is the first payer, however, nowhere does it state you have to wait until your 2 years with SISIP is expired to apply for VAC rehab.

Rehabilitation Services

You will build your vocational rehabilitation plan with the direct assistance of our service provider Canadian Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation Services. If you are receiving benefits from the Service Income Security Insurance Plan (SISIP), you and your case manager may also work with a SISIP vocational rehabilitation counsellor.

Rehabilitation Services and Vocational Assistance

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/transition/rehabilitation

How do I apply?

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/transition/rehabilitation/apply

Rehabilitation Services

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/transition/rehabilitation/services

With Veterans Affairs if your medical condition or conditions prevent you from completing the rehab program you could apply for the Earnings Loss Benefit which is 90% of your release salary up until age 65. If your on SISIP, SISIP would pay you 75% of your release salary and VAC would cover the remaining 15%.

So you should be covered for the 3 years of education. This is something that is worked out between you and your case manager, and as stated if your both on VAC and SISIP, the two case managers would work together.

My advice would be to get the actual 3b release date, once you have that, start applying for benefits. It's best to start applying asap, while still in the service is optimal. If your condition or conditions worsen and prevent you from returning into the work force, they are other benefits you can apply for, it's always best to be prepared.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next