Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Srb being eliminated

+16
derngt
cdnnavy77
Gunner8
vaincre
LAD
SIGS PIGS
cosmo12
Teager
johnny211
Tilap61
Cctchevy18
Armygunner
daverobitaille@rogers.com
Vet1234
bigrex
Rustytheviking
20 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Srb being eliminated  - Page 3 Empty Re: Srb being eliminated

Post by puddleduk2 Thu 29 Aug 2019, 22:42

thank you bigrex,

that must be an older quote that should not include Pension Act amounts as that was overturned by the class action
puddleduk2
puddleduk2
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2012-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 29 Aug 2019, 19:32

No, you do not need to inform SISIP, because it is NOT included in their list of prescribed Sources of Income.

24. Other Relevant Sources of Income

a. The monthly benefit payable at Section 23 shall be reduced by the sum of:

(i) the monthly income benefits payable to the member under the Canadian Forces Superannuation Act; and
(ii)the Primary monthly income benefits payable to the member under the Canada or Quebec Pension Plans (including retroactive payments covering the period during which such benefits were prefunded under this Division 2); and

(iii)the employment income of the member unless the member is participating in a rehabilitation program approved by the Insurer in which case the monthly benefit will be reduced in accordance with Section 28; and

(iv) the total monthly income benefits payable to the member under the Pension Act (including dependant benefits and retroactive payments covering the period during which such benefits were prefunded under this Division 2).
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by puddleduk2 Thu 29 Aug 2019, 18:57

if the amount is taxable, which it is, do i have to let sisip ltd know that i have received it as an retirement benefit from VAC ?

usually this amount is received at age 65, but because they are ceasing the srb program it is being paid out earlier than when the normal attrition date for sisip ltd would normally cease (at age 65)
puddleduk2
puddleduk2
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2012-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by LAD Wed 28 Aug 2019, 11:53

johnny211 wrote:LAD - It’s going to be taxed..

Thanks johnny ~ don't know what to expect as there are no way to know the calculations, therefore I will not get hopeful. Any amount is appreciated.

LAD
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2019-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Tue 27 Aug 2019, 19:29

LAD - It’s going to be taxed..
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by LAD Tue 27 Aug 2019, 14:40

Is the SRB payout taxable or non taxable?

LAD
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2019-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 26 Aug 2019, 23:04

I agree that it is dirty pool, but unfortunately, we need to play their game. Maybe Her Psychologist can recommend a Psychiatrist for her to see, They tend to travel in similar circles. Plus, if it's someone that her psychologist knows, they may be able to share information, with the Veterans' permission of course. That would probably make the handover much smoother.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnnavy77 Mon 26 Aug 2019, 13:48

If I were you, I'd recommend she go to the OSI clinic, or find her own Psychiatrist. A psychiatrist can access a lot of things that a psychologist cannot. If she is only seeing a psychologist, then she isnt receiving mental health prescriptions, nor is talking to anyone qualified to discuss them. This would be her problem. If this psychologist is moving forward with a plan that VAC does not feel is helpful, like say Reiki or some other holistic method, then I could definitely see them drop her from rehab. Im surprised she is still on Rehab, after 4 years without seeing an actual doctor. Im completely unsurprised her DEC was denied without a Drs reference. My psychiatrist creates the plan, my psychologist implements its. Rehab is like anything to do with the military, you need to check the right boxes, move thru the right hoops.
A psychologist opinion does not equal a psychiatrists opinion.

cdnnavy77
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2017-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Mon 26 Aug 2019, 13:17

cdnnavy77 wrote:a psychiatrist is a doctor.  A psychologist general is not.  Which is why they need to see the psychiatrist.  For my DEC I required more than one opinion. The more opinions the better.  
l agree but the veteran was seeing a psychologist accepted by VAC and would have probably continued to do so indefinitely , no one at VAC seemed concerned about the 4 years that have al ready passed in treatment or that she would probably be in another 4, but when she mentioned the DEC designation VAC said, “ no progress in 4 years is less that what we expect, we do not agree with the psychologist ‘s methods we want you to find a psychiatrist, refusal to do so will mean the discontinue of your rehab/IRB” that’s pretty harsh.

Last edited by Unknown Soldier on Mon 26 Aug 2019, 16:43; edited 1 time in total
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 610
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnnavy77 Mon 26 Aug 2019, 12:28

a psychiatrist is a doctor. A psychologist general is not. Which is why they need to see the psychiatrist. For my DEC I required more than one opinion. The more opinions the better.

cdnnavy77
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Mon 26 Aug 2019, 11:40

derngt wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:
cdnnavy77 wrote:I have a Psychiatrist, and Psychologist.  I  picked the Psychologist, the Psychiatrist is from the OSI.  Together after 5 years, they make the DEC decision, along with my family doctor and CM..  If you are following the rules of the REHAB, by attending the appointments regular, and taking prescribed meds, there should be zero worry.  while you might of seen the letter,  you are quite likely not privy to all the information.   Not to mention the "cure"  part seems fishy, as there is no cure for PTSD. there is only management.. Why hasnt she  applied for DEC?  I think the only people that need to worry are the people taking advantage of the system or not taking their meds and appts. There has been no signs of a VAC vendetta out to get PTSD victims. quite the opposite I'd say.  
you're right,I dont know all aspects of what is going on, the term "cure" is mine not vac's as I am being sarcastic because they are asking her to switch drs mid stream because there has been no progress. To be told to pick a new psychiatrist in the community and start from square one seems ridiculous to me though.Further to that,she did apply to be considered to have a DEC, her psychogist submitted her report, that is when VAC told her basically they want a 2nd opinion from a psychologist instead, if she refuses to go then she is breaking the rehab contract, and loses her IRB as well.

I 3B released in 2010... Prior to May 2018 I have been seeing a Psychologist for 6 years until he retired and I moved to a clinical social worker..I started with VAC Voc rehab May of 2018 and I started seeing a Psychiatrist along with my regular clinical social worker.  This August my DEC was approved along with an increase to the CIA and CIAS..Bottom line..if you continue to need help the help will be there..The only people I have ever heard cut off were those that stopped treatment...
I'm only trying to help her out but shes been going to the same psychologist religiously for the last 4 years,and her dr is legit not a quack,she even has other VAC clients. But when you open an email that says " go find a new psychiatrist or you lose your only income" ,that only exasperate s her depression,anxiety, PTSD symptoms,she has no desire to leave the dr shes established a rapport with and tell a brand new strange dr. what's happened to her? It's not my story to tell and shes not on here, but it doesnt seem fair to me,but VAC does what VAC wants.
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt Mon 26 Aug 2019, 11:19

Unknown Soldier wrote:
cdnnavy77 wrote:I have a Psychiatrist, and Psychologist.  I  picked the Psychologist, the Psychiatrist is from the OSI.  Together after 5 years, they make the DEC decision, along with my family doctor and CM..  If you are following the rules of the REHAB, by attending the appointments regular, and taking prescribed meds, there should be zero worry.  while you might of seen the letter,  you are quite likely not privy to all the information.   Not to mention the "cure"  part seems fishy, as there is no cure for PTSD. there is only management.. Why hasnt she  applied for DEC?  I think the only people that need to worry are the people taking advantage of the system or not taking their meds and appts. There has been no signs of a VAC vendetta out to get PTSD victims. quite the opposite I'd say.  
you're right,I dont know all aspects of what is going on, the term "cure" is mine not vac's as I am being sarcastic because they are asking her to switch drs mid stream because there has been no progress. To be told to pick a new psychiatrist in the community and start from square one seems ridiculous to me though.Further to that,she did apply to be considered to have a DEC, her psychogist submitted her report, that is when VAC told her basically they want a 2nd opinion from a psychologist instead, if she refuses to go then she is breaking the rehab contract, and loses her IRB as well.

I 3B released in 2010... Prior to May 2018 I have been seeing a Psychologist for 6 years until he retired and I moved to a clinical social worker..I started with VAC Voc rehab May of 2018 and I started seeing a Psychiatrist along with my regular clinical social worker. This August my DEC was approved along with an increase to the CIA and CIAS..Bottom line..if you continue to need help the help will be there..The only people I have ever heard cut off were those that stopped treatment...

derngt
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Mon 26 Aug 2019, 10:58

you're right,I dont know all aspects of what is going on, the term "cure" is mine not vac's as I am being sarcastic because they are asking her to switch drs mid stream because there has been no progress. To be told to pick a new psychiatrist in the community and start from square one seems ridiculous to me though.Further to that,she did apply to be considered to have a DEC, her psychogist submitted her report, that is when VAC told her basically they want a 2nd opinion from a psychiatrist instead, if she refuses to go then she is breaking the rehab contract, and loses her IRB as well.

Last edited by Unknown Soldier on Mon 26 Aug 2019, 11:34; edited 1 time in total
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cdnnavy77 Mon 26 Aug 2019, 09:53

I have a Psychiatrist, and Psychologist. I picked the Psychologist, the Psychiatrist is from the OSI. Together after 5 years, they make the DEC decision, along with my family doctor and CM.. If you are following the rules of the REHAB, by attending the appointments regular, and taking prescribed meds, there should be zero worry. while you might of seen the letter, you are quite likely not privy to all the information. Not to mention the "cure" part seems fishy, as there is no cure for PTSD. there is only management.. Why hasnt she applied for DEC? I think the only people that need to worry are the people taking advantage of the system or not taking their meds and appts. There has been no signs of a VAC vendetta out to get PTSD victims. quite the opposite I'd say.

cdnnavy77
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Mon 26 Aug 2019, 08:17

johnny211 wrote:Unknown Soldier - The only time I ever heard Vac threatened to cut off benefits was if a Vet stopped going to appts, pscy, physcio, etc. I belong to a gp of a Vets all with ptsd, and never heard one say Vac will cut us off if not cured. There must be something missing fm that story.
  I think the end of vac,s rd before a Vet is determined DEC, is different in every case. Most I know have been around the 2-3 yr mark. For me it was about 2. Went on Voc Rehab, back to College for a Yr, which was a struggle mentally. Then got a great job, but about 6 mths later, I realized my ptsd issues, mainly memory and concentration, anxiety, where not getting better. So in conjunction with my pscy and CM, it was determined about 6 mths later that I am DEC.
But that was 5 yrs ago, things may have changed.
 Johnny Out..VVV..
she showed me the email on her myvac site from her case manager, obviously the CM is just the bearer of bad news, but it basically said that after 4 years under the same psychologist with no sign of improvement, VAC is insisting she pick a new psychologist or else face having her rehab program and irb removed. There are a few factors to consider, one, the only rehab she is doing is seeing her psychologist regularly, no school training on top of that, she was never asked to take training or vocational testing because she still hasn’t gotten a grasp on her PTSD symptoms.and two, 5 years ago, a CM had the ability to deem a client to have a DEC, if any of that factors in. I told her to phone the ombudsman and she did, but they told her that if she loses her benefits, they don’t have the ability to overturn a VAC decision only “ ask them to take a 2nd look at what they did” and consider reversing the situation.
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next