Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sexual Harassment Settlement

+5
Rubicon
Nemo
bigrex
By the Bay
umbrella001
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Sexual Harassment Settlement Empty Re: Sexual Harassment Settlement

Post by umbrella001 Mon 21 Mar 2022, 12:11

Ah no worries Kramer...just another hurry up and wait situation. I completely agree with you though, they should be able to estimate pretty accurately how much they have in claims and start issuing payments but what do I know....

umbrella001
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2017-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Sun 20 Mar 2022, 17:58

umbrella001 wrote:2023!!! Good lord, I was hoping to see it sometime soon...guess I won't hold my breath. Does the lawsuit indicate how the interest on the settlement is handled? Who if anyone will benefit from that?

Sorry I can't answer your questions.

There is no good reason (IMO) why they need to wait until all the processing is done. Every claim gets a quick once over to ensure all the info is there. Every claim requires the claimant to identify which category they are applying/submitting for. If they know how many claims they have, they should know approximately how much money will be going out? This SHOULD give them a rough idea as to a running total? I am aware some claims can get elevated and some reduced and some even denied but that should not prevent them from keeping a margin for adjustments. I don't believe any residual can be factored until all the claims have been processed.

At the very least they could payout at every 5,000 claim that has been completed. I disagree with the fact that everyone has to wait this long. I say this only because of the time factor, it's been how many years already! I don't believe their method is fair.

Also keep in mind, this info I received is most likely not written in stone and subj to change, I just hope if it does change, it is for the better!
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 670
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by umbrella001 Sun 20 Mar 2022, 15:35

2023!!! Good lord, I was hoping to see it sometime soon...guess I won't hold my breath. Does the lawsuit indicate how the interest on the settlement is handled? Who if anyone will benefit from that?

umbrella001
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Sun 20 Mar 2022, 10:21

umbrella001 wrote:Still waiting for more movement on this....must have one person reviewing all the claims.

I agree. By the snails pace in which they are processing, it appears it will take many years not many months. This is a response I received to my inquiry from one of the law firms.

"Thank you for reaching out to us and for following up. I am getting back to you with what we know now, and I will follow up if there is any more information that I can find out.

I can understand that it must be difficult to wait for payment. The website is correct that it may take many months to receive payment for claims other than Category A.

The most precise information that we have now is that there is a deadline for claims processing to be complete, early next year (meaning 2023). I know that may seem a while to wait, and I understand that class members are eager for a resolution to this process."
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

umbrella001 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by umbrella001 Fri 18 Mar 2022, 18:08

Still waiting for more movement on this....must have one person reviewing all the claims.

umbrella001
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo Sat 03 Apr 2021, 19:04

Riddick wrote:
Nemo wrote:And remember this lawsuit is limited to incidents occurring after April 17, 1985. So if it happened before that date, then you are NOT covered under this lawsuit.

I believe this date only refers to Cat A.

Riddick

Yes, I missed that. You would be right RIddick according to the law firms info. It only specifies the April 17, 1985 date for Cat A
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Sat 03 Apr 2021, 18:41

Nemo wrote:And remember this lawsuit is limited to incidents occurring after April 17, 1985. So if it happened before that date, then you are NOT covered under this lawsuit.

I believe this date only refers to Cat A.

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Sat 03 Apr 2021, 13:32

Thanks Nemo,

All your comments are valid and in line with what my spouse was told (written communication). Now it is just a question for her to hurry up and wait. With all of this said, we have been advocating for all female CAF members to apply for at least A category. We have witnessed time and time again the male mentality discriminate against female CAF members. All CAF members that fit the category A description should apply. Seeing the disgust in the leadership in the Forces today, and in the past, this class action lawsuit needs to show as many female members as possible sign up and stand up against the CAF as it is today.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2017-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo Sat 03 Apr 2021, 13:08

rmsclk wrote:Can someone explain this “A” compensation? Do you have to submit your application twice? Once for A and once for B/C? By the way I just received my $5000.00.

Category Category Description Financial Compensation Level (CAD) Harm Level
A
Sexual harassment, gender-based and LGBTQ2+ based discrimination
Limited to women and those who identify as LGBTQ2+
Limited to incidents occurring after April 17, 1985
$5,000.00 N/A

The above explains what the A compensation is for. For Category A there is a flat $5000 payment...no more..no less. And if you qualify for B and/or C, the form takes you thru it all when you do it. So you fill out the form ONCE and the form includes A, B and C.
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo Sat 03 Apr 2021, 13:05

AirLog wrote:Good morning Nemo,

Did you receive compensation for A, B or C? My wife submitted a claim for both A & B. She received a letter from an "Adjudicator" indicating that she was approved for B1. She queried about her A claim and was told that the "Administrator" would be contacting her about her A claim submission. She still hasn't received a response or any compensation.

AirLog

I got the same letter. As I imagine there was a lot of people who put in a claim, lack of a $5000 payment for your wife may be as simple as them not getting to her payment info yet. I assume your wife sent in a void cheque. So I would just hang on and wait...there could be months before everyone gets it...depending on how long it takes them to go thru everyone.
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo Sat 03 Apr 2021, 13:01

***Important note that Riddick pointed out. The April 1, 1985 deadline is for Cat A ONLY. B and C don't indicate any date cut off for occurrence

Last edited by Nemo on Sat 03 Apr 2021, 19:11; edited 4 times in total
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo Sat 03 Apr 2021, 12:59

and when you fill out the form for compensation from this class action you fill out for all categories at the same time....if they apply to your case.
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo Sat 03 Apr 2021, 12:57

Under A there is only a $5000 payment. I suspect they are handing those out now as they have the money to do so and the other B and C will be based on how many claims are in by the deadline in Nov and funds left over. The other amount I was given for B won't be seen by me until 2022 or late 2021 and the amount they awarded me under B will likely change...all depends on how many people they get for claims. However I can not say that these payments are for Category A. However under Category A there is a payment of $5000 only. No more...no less.

Category Category Description Financial Compensation Level (CAD) Harm Level
A
Sexual harassment, gender-based and LGBTQ2+ based discrimination
Limited to women and those who identify as LGBTQ2+
Limited to incidents occurring after April 17, 1985
$5,000.00 N/A

B1 Targeted or ongoing or severe sexual harassment and/or sexual assault in the form of unwanted sexual touching $5,000.00 Low Harm
$10,000.00 Medium Harm
$20,000.00 High Harm
B2 Sexual assault in the form of sexual attack or sexual activity where no consent or unable to consent $30,000.00 Low Harm
$40,000.00 Medium Harm
$50,000.00 High Harm

C Enhanced Payment: Class Members who suffer or suffered from PTSD or other diagnosed mental injuries, or physical injuries arising from sexual assault or sexual harassment for which, for CAF Class Members, VAC benefits have been applied for and denied and/or have sought reconsideration and been denied. $50,000.00 Low Harm
$75,000.00 Medium Harm
$100,000.00 High Harm
https://www.caf-dndsexualmisconductclassaction.ca/en/faq#4

Last edited by Nemo on Sat 03 Apr 2021, 13:11; edited 1 time in total
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by rmsclk Sat 03 Apr 2021, 10:05

Can someone explain this “A” compensation? Do you have to submit your application twice? Once for A and once for B/C? By the way I just received my $5000.00.

rmsclk
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2018-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Sat 03 Apr 2021, 09:52

Good morning Nemo,

Did you receive compensation for A, B or C? My wife submitted a claim for both A & B. She received a letter from an "Adjudicator" indicating that she was approved for B1. She queried about her A claim and was told that the "Administrator" would be contacting her about her A claim submission. She still hasn't received a response or any compensation.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2017-11-19

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next