Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Retroactivity of CIAS

2 posters

Go down

Retroactivity of CIAS Empty Re: Retroactivity of CIAS

Post by derngt Wed 21 Jun 2023, 15:59

derngt wrote:
derngt wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:
derngt wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:
derngt wrote:That is a great question and I am sure the answer is complicated. I was able to get approved for DEC and CIAS a month before it was canceled. In case you are not aware there really is no dollar value if you get approved to CIAS. All it means now is that your IRB will never be less than the CIAS amount adjusted for inflation. It took me awhile to figure that out.
That's not my understanding,  l saw a chart that said any veteran approved for CIAS before apr 1 , receives $1145 a month , ONTOP of being declared DEC/IRB?
Is that not how it works?

I have been looking at this topic since 2019. Initially, I thought CIAS would be ontop of your IRB and Additional Pain and Suffering. The answer is a big no. If it was on top you would see a payment line under your benefits on MyVAC webpage. I do understand why its not. Not every veteran getting CIAS will be getting IRB and visa-versa.  The following text comes from VAC Fin Dept "Your minimum IRB amount payable each month, after offsets, will not be less than
$1,145.37, which is the monthly CIAS entitlement amount as of
March 31, 2019. If in the future you are no longer eligible for the IRB, you will continue
to receive this minimum amount, indexed annually:    So basically if you get IRB it will never be less than the CIAS amount. My IRB is $2k/month so its not less than the CIAS amount. However, when I turn 65 and my IRB goes to 70% this CIAS will come in handy. Why, because CIAS is for life and if my IRB goes to zero due to my CFSA.CPP and OAS, I will still get the CIAS amount with btw is indexed.. If you have more question my email is derngt@gmail.com..
Interesting,  it looks like if that's all true that I've been fighting a battle not worth fighting.  
So your telling me, if had been approved DEC before apr 1 , that apr 2 onward l would not have received the amount of my IRB/DEC plus the $1145.36 shown on the chart.
I wish l knew how to upload it to make sure I'm understanding everything correctly.
In the chart it shows that CIA at 3 levels becomes APSC at 3.grades, but is now tax free
But it also shows that a vet deemed dec before apr 1 2019 would get $1145.36  moving forward?

Unfortunately it is just a chart and not the legislation. Yes a vet with DEC will get the CIAS amount, but a Vet with DEC and getting IRB is not on the chart. So now you have to look at those rules.I would still fight the fight if I were you. This is what I would ask VAC. Why is CIAS being treated  like an offset for IRB when in the IRB policy it is not listed as an offset.

When you add CPP and OAS at 65 as an offset that $1400 would be reduced CPP($1200) and OAS ($600) So at this point I wont get the IRB anymore. But because I have CIAS I will still get that CIAS amount plus my CFSA,CPP and OAs

Send me an email and I will be more than happy to talk your through this there are many variables. I am actually one of the moderators on the Canadian Veterans Advocacy Facebook page.

derngt
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Wed 21 Jun 2023, 14:23

derngt wrote:
derngt wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:
derngt wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:
derngt wrote:That is a great question and I am sure the answer is complicated. I was able to get approved for DEC and CIAS a month before it was canceled. In case you are not aware there really is no dollar value if you get approved to CIAS. All it means now is that your IRB will never be less than the CIAS amount adjusted for inflation. It took me awhile to figure that out.
That's not my understanding,  l saw a chart that said any veteran approved for CIAS before apr 1 , receives $1145 a month , ONTOP of being declared DEC/IRB?

I have been looking at this topic since 2019. Initially, I thought CIAS would be ontop of your IRB and Additional Pain and Suffering. The answer is a big no. If it was on top you would see a payment line under your benefits on MyVAC webpage. I do understand why its not. Not every veteran getting CIAS will be getting IRB and visa-versa.  The following text comes from VAC Fin Dept "Your minimum IRB amount payable each month, after offsets, will not be less than
March 31, 2019. If in the future you are no longer eligible for the IRB, you will continue
to receive this minimum amount, indexed annually:    So basically if you get IRB it will never be less than the CIAS amount. My IRB is $2k/month so its not less than the CIAS amount. However, when I turn 65 and my IRB goes to 70% this CIAS will come in handy. Why, because CIAS is for life and if my IRB goes to zero due to my CFSA.CPP and OAS, I will still get the CIAS amount with btw is indexed.. If you have more question my email is derngt@gmail.com..
Interesting,  it looks like if that's all true that I've been fighting a battle not worth fighting.  
So your telling me, if had been approved DEC before apr 1 , that apr 2 onward l would not have received the amount of my IRB/DEC plus the $1145.36 shown on the chart.
I wish l knew how to upload it to make sure I'm understanding everything correctly.
In the chart it shows that CIA at 3 levels becomes APSC at 3.grades, but is now tax free
But it also shows that a vet deemed dec before apr 1 2019 would get $1145.36  moving forward?

Unfortunately it is just a chart and not the legislation. Yes a vet with DEC will get the CIAS amount, but a Vet with DEC and getting IRB is not on the chart. So now you have to look at those rules.I would still fight the fight if I were you. This is what I would ask VAC. Why is CIAS being treated  like an offset for IRB when in the IRB policy it is not listed as an offset.

When you add CPP and OAS at 65 as an offset that $1400 would be reduced CPP($1200) and OAS ($600) So at this point I wont get the IRB anymore. But because I have CIAS I will still get that CIAS amount plus my CFSA,CPP and OAs
Oh this is getting way over my head lol, see l knew cpp and oas was deducted from what vac gives you at 65, so my solution was just going to be not to take either.
So your saying l should keep fighting for the CIAS because if l win, it would enable me to take cpp and oas because I'd come out ahead in that scenario?
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 609
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt Wed 21 Jun 2023, 12:28

derngt wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:
derngt wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:

derngt
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt Wed 21 Jun 2023, 12:23

derngt wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:
derngt wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:

My numbers were an example. For some vet when you turn 65 you get CPP and OAS. That may zero out there IRB. If you have CIAS you will still get the min amount. Keep me informed when you get the answer. derngt@gmail.com

derngt
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Wed 21 Jun 2023, 11:50

derngt wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:
derngt wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:

The paperwork is all in so l will keep the fight going, but 1 more thing, you said your IRB/DEC is $2000, but having CIAS is still valuable to you.
At 65 if it IRB/DEC drops to 70%, wouldn't that now be $1400, which is still above the $1145 , so where is tge advantage in your case
Or am l missing something else? Thx
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt Wed 21 Jun 2023, 09:39

Unknown Soldier wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:
derngt wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:

Unfortunately it is just a chart and not the legislation. Yes a vet with DEC will get the CIAS amount, but a Vet with DEC and getting IRB is not on the chart. So now you have to look at those rules.I would still fight the fight if I were you. This is what I would ask VAC. Why is CIAS being treated like an offset for IRB when in the IRB policy it is not listed as an offset.

derngt
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Tue 20 Jun 2023, 22:17

Retroactivity of CIAS Fb_img13
Unknown Soldier wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:
derngt wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:

Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Retroactivity of CIAS Empty This?

Post by Unknown Soldier Tue 20 Jun 2023, 22:15

Unknown Soldier wrote:
derngt wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:

Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Tue 20 Jun 2023, 22:08

derngt wrote:
Unknown Soldier wrote:

Interesting, it looks like if that's all true that I've been fighting a battle not worth fighting.
But it also shows that a vet deemed dec before apr 1 2019 would get $1145.36 moving forward?
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt Tue 20 Jun 2023, 19:08

Unknown Soldier wrote:

I have been looking at this topic since 2019. Initially, I thought CIAS would be ontop of your IRB and Additional Pain and Suffering. The answer is a big no. If it was on top you would see a payment line under your benefits on MyVAC webpage. I do understand why its not. Not every veteran getting CIAS will be getting IRB and visa-versa. The following text comes from VAC Fin Dept "Your minimum IRB amount payable each month, after offsets, will not be less than
to receive this minimum amount, indexed annually: So basically if you get IRB it will never be less than the CIAS amount. My IRB is $2k/month so its not less than the CIAS amount. However, when I turn 65 and my IRB goes to 70% this CIAS will come in handy. Why, because CIAS is for life and if my IRB goes to zero due to my CFSA.CPP and OAS, I will still get the CIAS amount with btw is indexed.. If you have more question my email is derngt@gmail.com..

derngt
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Tue 20 Jun 2023, 17:28

That's not my understanding, l saw a chart that said any veteran approved for CIAS before apr 1 , receives $1145 a month , ONTOP of being declared DEC/IRB?
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by derngt Sat 17 Jun 2023, 09:52

That is a great question and I am sure the answer is complicated. I was able to get approved for DEC and CIAS a month before it was canceled. In case you are not aware there really is no dollar value if you get approved to CIAS. All it means now is that your IRB will never be less than the CIAS amount adjusted for inflation. It took me awhile to figure that out.

derngt
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Retroactivity of CIAS Empty Retroactivity of CIAS

Post by Unknown Soldier Thu 15 Jun 2023, 16:23

I understand that if say a veteran put in a disability claim in 2020, was denied , appealed, and the appeal took 2 years to be resolved, and it was in the veterans favor, then retro pay goes backwards as much as 3 years.
But what if a veteran was denied a DEC before apr 1 2019, appealed and was later granted a DEC, a year later as a result of the appeal.
VAC policy states that any veteran found to possess a DEC prior to apr 1 2019 is also entitled to the Career Impact Allowance Supplement ( the Supplement disappeared after apr 1 2019 except for those veterans who had open DEC applications)
So how would something like that work, if a veteran won their DEC appeal in say June 2019, they would have been fighting to have their original DEC acknowledged, which would have been say Feb 2019.
Wouldn't the original date be the "backdate"and if so, Feb 2019 was before apr 2019, shouldn't that vet still be entitled to CIAS, even though VAC has now taken that benefit off the books?
I hope my question isn't too confusing
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down